Service pack for Windows 98 Standard (First, Gold)

Petr

@KerguelanAvon

Theoretically you are correct. This service pack applies only to 98 First Edition (or Gold). If you upgrade to SE, you'll need to use Gape's pack and not this one. But I suppose you could install it on FE, upgrade to SE and then install Gape's as you've said.

OK, I was hoping that I might be able to combine this with my Win98 FE install disc and get right up to date, and that hopefully that it might get me round the problems I'm having in getting Win98 FE to do a new install after replacing my motherboard & Processor.

Can you point me to somewhere that might be able to help with my install problems?

Can you point me to somewhere that might be able to help with my install problems?

Petr is the man for that. He is knowledgeable both on FE and hardware. He'll probably answer you something. Just wait a bit.

Edited by eidenk

Hi KerguelanAvon,

I'm not sure if I can help you.

You may try some setup switches as described in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q186111/ to avoid the freeze during setup.

I'm not sure but I think there were W98SE upgrades that just had no boot disk, but they did not reqire W98 Gold installed. Does your W98SE upgrade require really W98 Gold? If not, you may try to install just DOS with CD-ROM driver and then run W98SE setup.

The last possibility is to do semi-slipstraming, i.e. to copy WIN98 folder from W98 CD-ROM to the hatd disk and then extract SP1.CAB from fesp201en to this folder. I never tried this, so I even don't know if the setup will work or not. Little chance, but maybe...

Petr

Can I clarify something here?

Would I be correct in thinking that unlike most Service Packs (which include all previous updates) that this does not include the SE update? 

Is the reason for this because SE was sold as a seperate upgrade package to those who bought the first edition of Win98?

I have a Win98 FE Installation CD and a seperate SE upgrade CD, but I can't get my FE install to run properly on my new A8N-SLi Deluxe motherboard (which might be coz it has onboard firewire?). 

Assuming the answer to the first two questions is yes (SE is not included), can I combine this service pack with my Win98 FE installation CD to make a new Installation CD, and then apply my SE upgrade, and then the unofficial SE Service Packs?

Good thing I AVOIDED buying Win98 FE and waited for a bug fixed version of 98 such as SE because I knew 98fe would have some y2k bugs & other compatibility problems. Heck, my brother bought a used IBM laptop with pre-installed Win98 SE several years ago. 98 FE has anemic firewire support, 98 SE has better firewire support but requires the Q242975 update to fix crucial problems with SE's firewire support.

First off KerguelanAvon, copy the SE files from the Win98 folder from the CD to the hard drive. Then run SE setup from the HD, and if it asks for a qualifying product, insert your Win98 FE (not SE) CD, and you should be able to complete the setup AND you should be able to use Win98 SE instead of FE because SE supports more hardware.

Well Petr if MS recently told you that hotfixes Q254087, Q265528 & Q329128 are not available, then they are probably not available anymore. So we should give up on asking for those as MS may have already sent them into oblivion.

Edited by erpdude8

Hi KerguelanAvon,

I'm not sure if I can help you.

You may try some setup switches as described in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q186111/ to avoid the freeze during setup.

I'm not sure but I think there were W98SE upgrades that just had no boot disk, but they did not reqire W98 Gold installed. Does your W98SE upgrade require really W98 Gold? If not, you may try to install just DOS with CD-ROM driver and then run W98SE setup.

The last possibility is to do semi-slipstraming, i.e. to copy WIN98 folder from W98 CD-ROM to the hatd disk and then extract SP1.CAB from fesp201en to this folder. I never tried this, so I even don't know if the setup will work or not. Little chance, but maybe...

Petr

I managed to get around the set up hang by using step by step confirmation, and turning off the MOUSE.VXD driver at each restart.

The mouse still worked afterwards, and then at one point I forgot to intercept the restart and thought it was going to hang again, but it managed to get past the ususal sticking point, so I guess that the the driver got replaced at somepoint during the SE upgrade.

I managed to get the OS fairly up to date though, but without the chipset drivers, it didn't seem worthwhile continuing.

See http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=56255

Also, can your 98FE SP be posted at Softpedia.com, Petr?  i don't like getting it at that rapidshare.de site.

I can give you direct download link if you want. But the latest version is two months old already.

Petr

Well, can you give me the direct download URL to it? I would also suggest posting your 98fe SP onto a BUNCH of mirror sites, like with what Gape did to his 98se pack. Gape's pack is posted on at least 4 different sites, just in case one or some of them dont work or are too slow.

What's the status of this service pack? I remember there being a download link, but I cannot find it anymore. I was looking forward to installing 98FE and using this pack... especially to get my Channels back!

What's the status of this service pack? I remember there being a download link, but I cannot find it anymore. I was looking forward to installing 98FE and using this pack... especially to get my Channels back!

unfortunately, jimmsta, Petr's 98FE pack hasn't gotten too far so there is very little progress.

Having the 98fe pack posted on only 1 site is nearly deplorable (and barely appalling, IMHO). Gape's 98se pack and Tihiy's Win9x Revolutions pack are posted at several sites including Majorgeeks.com and Softpedia.com. So Petr needs to find a way to post his 98fe pack to other sites. that way, more people will test out his SP.

so I'm not sure how many people have actually downloaded AND tested the 98fe pack. my gut feeling tells me that few to none have really gotten the 98FE SP. in other words, the 98fe pack is almost a bust.

unfortunately, jimmsta, Petr's 98FE pack hasn't gotten too far so there is very little progress.

jimmsta, if you need the 98fe SP you can get it here:

http://rapidshare.de/files/2723154/fesp201en-a2.exe.html

It's still in alpha 2 stage so is has NOT reached beta. I'll pass on the alpha and wait for beta 1 of Petr's 98FE pack to come out and hopefully the beta version WILL be posted at sites like Softpedia.com and Majorgeeks.com.

If you really want to get v2.0 alpha 2 of the 98FE service pack from rapidshare.de use a broadband connection like cable or DSL to download the 19Mb file from there; dialup connections take too long and are too slow & more likely to botch your downloads, especially with this 19mb size 98fe pack. Unless you buy a premium account from Rapishare site, you wont be able to download, accelerate & resume your download with any download managers. Free accounts from Rapidshare will only provide slow downloads which is why I am AGAINST downloading ANY files from there if they are greater than 1 meg.

• 2 weeks later...
Things you can do to spread the word:
Hi MDGX, I suppose it is too soon to sent this alpha version to the general public. I need more test results before this. Too many files are updated, not the same as in SE package.

Petr

Roger that.

Yes AND No! Yes in the sense that the alpha version of your pack shouldnt be widely available but to post your 98fe pack at the Rapishare.de site was a POOR choice. A TERRIBLE MISTAKE! It is barely impossible to obtain your 98fe pack with a free Rapidshare account with a dialup connection and I and some other people have had a very difficult time downloading the whole pack several times because of the size of the download. I could never complete the download of the 98fe pack which is super frustrating!

very infuriating!!! :realmad::realmad:

THAT'S IT! I now recommend 98fe users to avoid getting the alpha version of the 98fe pack from Rapidshare until an actual BETA [NOT an ALPHA] of the Windows 98 Standard Edition pack comes out AND the pack is posted at a different site OTHER than Rapidshare. NEVER post large downloads at Rapidshare unless users are using a fast broadband connection, not a slow dialup connection!!!

• 1 month later...
very infuriating!!! :realmad::realmad:

THAT'S IT! I now recommend 98fe users to avoid getting the alpha version of the 98fe pack from Rapidshare until an actual BETA [NOT an ALPHA] of the Windows 98 Standard Edition pack comes out AND the pack is posted at a different site OTHER than Rapidshare. NEVER post large downloads at Rapidshare unless users are using a fast broadband connection, not a slow dialup connection!!!

heh-heh. I'm finished voicing out my frustration in trying to get the 98 standard edition service pack, to no avail. it was sure agonizing attempting to download it from Rapidshare with a dialup connection and failing each time.

so let's ask Petr (let's all ask him nicely, people) to post a copy of fesp201 at a different site like winpack.org

or the Megaupload or Yousendit sites.

• 2 weeks later...

new link to get FESP v2.01 alpha (NO longer available):

[the Winpack.org url was working at the time I posted it and is no longer working anymore...sorry].

I've been told by Petr that 98fe SP will now be managed by Gape. so it will be Gape that will be releasing beta & RC releases of FESP.

Edited by erpdude8

new link to get FESP v2.01 alpha:

http://www.winpack.org/nsp_petr/fesp201en.exe

[this url may be working at the time I posted it and may or may not work later on in the future].

I've been told by Petr that 98fe SP will now be managed by Gape. so it will be Gape that will be releasing beta & RC releases of FESP.

This url is no longer available.

Petr

surprisingly, when I installed FE SP v2.01 alpha under a clean install of Win98 w/ IE4.01 SP1, things were pretty stable.

additions I like to see in FESP 2.01 beta [another reminder that Gape will post a beta and RC for FESP]:

files from the oepatsp1.exe file-

inetcomm.dll v4.72.3155.0

msimnui.dll v4.72.3120.0

wab32.dll v4.72.3155.0

use the info from the oepatsp1.inf file to install the files.

Q244356 urlmon.dll v4.72.3710.2500

Q246094 shdocvw.dll v4.72.3711.2900

Q265258 asctrls.ocx v4.72.3718.1400

these IE4 updates should also work with IE 4.01 SP1 under Win98.

and the iuctl.dll and iuengine.dll files should be removed from FESP for the greater good [and better reliability] of the 98 service pack.

surprisingly, when I installed FE SP v2.01 alpha under a clean install of Win98 w/ IE4.01 SP1, things were pretty stable.

additions I like to see in FESP 2.01 beta [another reminder that Gape will post a beta and RC for FESP]:

files from the oepatsp1.exe file-

inetcomm.dll v4.72.3155.0

msimnui.dll v4.72.3120.0

wab32.dll v4.72.3155.0

use the info from the oepatsp1.inf file to install the files.

Q244356 urlmon.dll v4.72.3710.2500

Q246094 shdocvw.dll v4.72.3711.2900

Q265258 asctrls.ocx v4.72.3718.1400

these IE4 updates should also work with IE 4.01 SP1 under Win98.

Just for review. FESP201-alpha1 contains the following IE updates:

Q226325 mshtml.dll 4.72.3616.1301 mshtml4.exe download

Q226325 mshtmlwb.dll 4.72.3616.1400

Q168617 urlmon.dll 4.72.3510.2000 IE4DIA.EXE download

and for OE 4.01SP1:

Q234681 msoert.dll 4.72.3518.0900 en-x86-Q234681.exe download

The latest official mshtml.dll for IE4.01SP1 seems to be:

Q250316 mshtml.dll 4.72.3525.600 dated 06-Jan-2000 q250316.exe download

surprisingly it is newer than the file with higher verssion number:

Q226325 mshtml.dll 4.72.3616.1301 dated 13-Apr-1999

The latest updates for IE4.01SP2 seem to be:

Q265258 asctrls.ocx 4.72.3718.1400 4q265258.exe download