Service pack for Windows 98 Standard (First, Gold)

Petr

A couple of things:

1. The AOL Art update should be in the SUPP.CAB file as it is not present on the 98 CD (psst... This installs with IE6 SP1 on 98 and NT4, but not on 2000. It's also included in ME and newer).

2. Why not replace msvcrt.dll to version 6.0.9787.0? Found in KB article 259403.

Good release otherwise.

the_guy

The unofficial Win98 FE service pack 2 is still stuck in alpha 2 stage [since early July 2005] and hardly anyone is ever testing it or even downloading it since it is posted at that #@$*%#)% Rapidshare.de site which I REALLY loathe (aka. HATE). Petr made a poor choice of posting it there since that site does not offer resuming downloads unless you pay them for a "premium" account. a premium account at Rapidshare allows resuming interrupted downloads. UTTERLY RIDICULOUS!

I agree with you. You definitely are feeling the same pain as I have if you're still stuck with a 56k or lower internet connection.

I'm currently stuck with 56k. :(

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

I'm currently stuck with 56k. :(

I am no longer using a 56K modem connection anymore, RJARRRPCGP. My brother and I upgraded to high speed DSL in middle of May (YAY!) :thumbup

anyways, the latest beta of the 98fe SP should be available from MDGx's web site when he posts it there. good thing is that MDGx's server is faster than Rapidshare and Mytempdir and supports resuming partial file transfers.

Be sure to get a third party download manager/accelerator to download very large files with slow connections, RJARRRPCGP.

A couple of things:

1. The AOL Art update should be in the SUPP.CAB file as it is not present on the 98 CD (psst... This installs with IE6 SP1 on 98 and NT4, but not on 2000. It's also included in ME and newer).

2. Why not replace msvcrt.dll to version 6.0.9787.0? Found in KB article 259403.

Good release otherwise.

the_guy

Older AOL ART Image support files were included in the 98fe CD. I'll include msvcrt.dll v6.0.9787 in beta 4 which should also include media player 6.4.

nah, changed my mind. I'll use msvcrt.dll version 6.1.9844.0 from win2k sp4 and put it in beta 4 of 98fe sp2 instead. that file worked ok under my winme computer; i'll test it out under all editions of win98. same with msvcp60.dll version 6.2.3104.0 from winxp sp2. i've removed the TTF font files in beta 3.

Edited by erpdude8

I did find a problem with beta 3 of the 98fe SP. it will not install the Main Hotfixes & Updates part if Outlook Express 4 is not installed. The SP has to look for the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express" first. If that registry key is not present and OE4 is not installed, then the SP will not install the 98fe hotfixes at all. If that registry key is there and OE4 is installed then the 98fe SP will work as expected. This problem will be fixed in beta 4 so that the SP will install the Main Hotfixes & Updates part whether OE4 is installed or not. Beta 4 will be ready by next week.

nah, changed my mind. I'll use msvcrt.dll version 6.1.9844.0 from win2k sp4 and put it in beta 4 of 98fe sp2 instead. that file worked ok under my winme computer; i'll test it out under all editions of win98. same with msvcp60.dll version 6.2.3104.0 from winxp sp2. i've removed the TTF font files in beta 3.

Hi erpdude,

Not strictly relevant, but just FYI, I've been using MSVCRT.DLL version 6.1.9844.0 from win2k sp4 with 98 SE for a while now. So far there have been no problems, and there is in fact one example of a benefit I can give. I'm not sure of the connection or the details, but since I started using this version of MSVCRT.DLL, the CPU usage level reported by Codestuff Starter has dropped to what I consider to be more accurate levels. Previously, it was reporting on average 60+% when the system was idle. Since using 6.1.9844.0, low levels are reported.

If you're using msvcrt.dll 6.1.9844.0, why not use version 6.1.9846.0 instead? It's in my SP, if you need to get it.

the_guy

really? I'll get it ASAP. let bristols know about the newer build of msvcrt.dll file in your ME SP.

If you're using msvcrt.dll 6.1.9844.0, why not use version 6.1.9846.0 instead? It's in my SP, if you need to get it.

the_guy

really? I'll get it ASAP. let bristols know about the newer build of msvcrt.dll file in your ME SP.

Hmm. I've just downloaded Beta 5 of your SP from here:

http://www.mdgx.com/spx/MESP202B5V2.EXE

and the msvcrt.dll version in Sp2.cab is 6.1.9844.0. Maybe 6.1.9846.0 will be in Beta 6?

Edited by bristols

My quote from page 31 of "98 FE + 98 SE + ME updates + patches + (hot)fixes" topic:

About the HLINK.DLL files from 920670: The hlink.dll files from the Win2000, XP & 2003 KB920670 patches have same byte sizes and same version numbers but they are NOT binarily identical. Compare the Win2000 version of KB920670 hlink.dll file with the WinXP version of KB920670 hlink.dll file using the WinDiff file comparison tool. Both are different in actual code.

I used the Win2000 version of HLINK.DLL from KB920670 under my WinME computer and so far, no problems.

I'll include these in beta 5 (not beta 4) in the 98fe SP. Beta 4 will be up early next week. No probs so far with hhctrl.ocx from KB922616. Be sure to install KB896358 HTML Help update first, then use the updated hhctrl.ocx file.

Edited by erpdude8