What Will Be The Cut Off Point For Cpu Speed?

FthrJACK

i mean, we cant carry on forever making faster and faster chips, doubling the speed every 18 months. obviously silicon has its limits, but when do you recon we will all get bored of it? when computers are semi intelligent and stuff like something out of startrek, computers for the home will be doing most of the household chores, ordering food, turning lights on/off. recording tv shows, infact there wont be a tv, just a large flatscreen display or ten around your house. but once we get to speeds like 500Ghz sureley we wont need any faster? unless we start using them for holographic environments etc (ahh gaming would kick a**!) imagine Battlefield 1942 holodeck style heh

500ghz sounds good to me :rolleyes:

i once read an article about how silicon can only go so far due to resistance i think it was and some weirdo at a uni was saying how bird feathers can be moulded together to make a base with far less resistance do to the air inside them :)

/me looks confused

you could probably find the article if u did a search on google for "bird feather cpu" or something like that

Yea its all exponetional..the more time passes the less time it takes for speeds to double, triple etc etc....but i dont know if their is a answer 2 ur question..i mean 10years ago 4gigs of hd space was more then enuf for everyone..but now u see 200gb hds al over the place i mean s*** people have more then 200gbs somtimes..as for cpus im not really sure either, as time progresses im sure gaming will become rediculusly more advanced and require alot more power...as it has been proven in the past....200ghz seems like an infanite amount of speed nowadays..but when the time comes...we still might want more..

conclusion: its hard to say until we get to a time and point when our ideas become a reality...but as of thus far history seems to be repeating it self..

=Drew

we will be using quatumn computers before you know it.

id expect first fibre optics, then quantum machines and hybrids to appear within the next 5 - 10 years, speed then really wont be much of an issue, wonder what intel and amd will do then to convince us to buy?

They will do the same thing that IBM did when they found out that making bread slicers was not profitable. They adjusted while others fell. Do I believe that the giants can go down? Yes! Vanderbilt and Carnegie used to loan money to the government during our depression so that it could survive. While their families are still very rich...all of it has taken on many different forms. I believe that you are right Tris...in ten years speed is no longer a factor so we start looking at improving other things. IMO...the computer is fast enough when you flip the switch and there is no boot process...it pops on like a television does. When you say the application, it pops up faster than you can blink. I would say that it would be cool to have it pull up what you are thinking while looking at the screen but then what if you are thinking about some chick and your wife is right there? Oh boy!

Rick :)

In reply to speedz: By the year 2020 or something close to that, if Microsoft still exists, they'll probably come up with some OS that takes up 5GB or something like that and we'll all be able to download stuff at like 50MB/s :) ! That would be amazing! :rolleyes: w00t

BTW, speedz, can you go on MSN? I have to ask you a question about our history exam...

gamehead, if you live in sweden you could already download at that speed for not much money either, compared to other places offering that speed.

we have a server that can upload at 1gb/ps. thats 1 GIGA BYTE PER SECOND.

the fastest speed record to date is 1.5 terrabyte per second over a distance of 2km. it was posted in news some time ago.

i think 50mb/ps is underrating the telecoms and internet industry, as well as consumers demands! I WANT I WANT! heh :)

@Rick, computers by thought, they do that at Reading university. Also lots of labs do it using monkeys, selecting colored blocks etc. some disabled people have helped trial the system so that it can be developed primarily for them (and no doubt military use) eventually expect software and hardware companies to invent reasons why able bodied non combatants might want to spend lots of cash on it too.

Yeah Tris....I know they have it but I'm talking about without having all the electrodes hooked to your head. It's not like any of this technology is out of reach....it is just a matter of developing it when ppl are ready for it. I mean...the chip thing..that's one thing but we are already way ahead on so much but it is just out of reach price wise or there is not a demand seen to develop it.

Rick :)