Setup Addon Programs Which Is Better?

Which is the setup addon program?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the setup addon program?

• Windows Post-Installation (WPI)
    • Windows Installation Helper Utility (WIHU)
    • XPlode
    • W.A.I.T.

none...

They're all a waste of time...

No sooner have you mastered it, added your apps and made your bl**dy CD, a new version of it and all your apps comes out and you have to start it all again!

Just install the OS with service packs /hotfixes unattended with maybe a free firewall to replace the MS one, perhaps a free replacement for notepad and zipfolders and your personal tweaks. Then you can add all your apps onto a clean, possibly imaged system whenever.

If you want to have them silently installed, lets just start making application only CDs which can be used and installed regularly onto the imaged system.

Now we only need to go through the OS install rigmarole maybe once every RyanVM pack...

You know.. the more and more i keep updating my CD and adding more and more apps, the better of idea that really sounds... just make a UA cd with the latest hotfixes... maybe toss firefox on there and leave it at that...

Now I don't even add firefox....nLite w\RyanVM'S full pack, OEM video driver and that's

it....10min install......Then I put a CD in with WAIT, and 700mb of progies and pick and

choose, or use one of 3 optional buttons..........program stays open and allows you as

long as you want, or come back and add more......very simple.....take the CD to a

friends or what ever and do the same........

BD

I don't blame you on the firefox issue!

It's one of the progs I've just added to mine and installed at version 1.0.1, only to find out two days later that 1.0.2 is out and is a security fix. All installations are recommended to be upgraded...****!

Sadly, I personally use batch files still to install my apps. I've been meaning to get with the times and use something like XPlode, but sadly my time has been focused on other projects ;):P

But going back to the matter of staying up to date, I personally don't see it as really that big of a deal. Most programs maintain the same switches between updates, so it's nothing more complex than changing the exe and maybe updating the information with the newer version number.

I also maintain copies of my $OEM$ and Updates folder on my hard drive, so building a new CD only requires me to copy winnt.sif back into i386 and to copy the folders into the root CD directory. I think a mistake some people make is making all their changes within the CD itself, which I can imagine would make things more difficult to fix if things get broken. I do all work outside the CD directory then copy the files/folders in afterwards. It allows for much faster rebuilding of a CD.

I use the following process:

1. batch file to recreate working directory with a 'fresh' copy of xp and to start Nlite

2. Use Nlite to remove some components and to integrate the RyanVM update pack

3. batch file to copy BTS-driverpacks and my own directories to cd root

4. the second batch file also add entry to winnt.sif to start wihu in the GUIRunOnce section

5. Use Nlite to create ISO

Heres a question for you folks.. which one of these great install utils allows you to have multiple presets of selected programs you want to install.

In other words, I have 3 different PC's and currently Im using some batch IF / THEN statements to run a specific runonceex based on the PC's host name. Id like to move to one of these (probably either WAIT or WPI- havent really looked at the others) and Id like to have just a button I can press for each PC, which will select all of the particular apps I want to install on that PC.

Thanks!

Heres a question for you folks.. which one of these great install utils allows you to have multiple presets of selected programs you want to install.

In other words, I have 3 different PC's and currently Im using some batch IF / THEN statements to run a specific runonceex based on the PC's host name.  Id like to move to one of these (probably either WAIT or WPI- havent really looked at the others) and Id like to have just a button I can press for each PC, which will select all of the particular apps I want to install on that PC.

Thanks!

Anyone?

In other words, I have 3 different PC's and currently Im using some batch IF / THEN statements to run a specific runonceex based on the PC's host name.  Id like to move to one of these (probably either WAIT or WPI- havent really looked at the others) and Id like to have just a button I can press for each PC, which will select all of the particular apps I want to install on that PC.

Thanks!

Anyone?

i believe xplode and wihu also have those features but im not sure