Removing Both Media Players + Codecs...

jmbattle

Hmm... careful you don't get carried away, otherwise it will become yet another bloated codecs package.

I would say stick with Windows Media, Real Media and QuickTime. Make ffdshow an optional extra.

Cheers,

James

qlitetest and realitetest are updated? got errors when trying it when u released it... now that it seems as you've found a way to bypass those errors did u update the package?

thanks for all your efforts :)

edit: well actually i like the error free installers by releasers, but my only complaint is those silly creators include mpc classic in each of m so i can't get avg free on my cd anymore.

if u have the time and knowledge to make the default installers mpc free (nothing more, nothing less) please do so, i think u'd do me and maybe a few others (mini-cd users) a real big favour.

thanks in advance, regardless of your reply :yes:

I think the best way is to keep a package for each codec so that we can install only what we need.

I will release for me a package with wmv, ogg, real, mov and ffdshow. So i will also share it .

@eben

what error did you get?

For MPC, i don't understand what you want to. Do you want an installer to put mpc as the default media player? In this case you only need mplayerc.exe, put it somewhere and run mplayerc.exe /regvid /regaud

To install Quicktime Alternative without player use this:

quicktimealt142.exe /VERYSILENT /LOADINF="quicktime.inf"

quicktime.inf

[Setup]
Components=qt,qt\codec,qt\directshow,qt\plugins

Almost the same for Real Alternative but didn't search for it. I let Real Alternative install Media Player. Reason for me to use this is to speed up my unattended install. It's unnecessary to install Media Player Classic twice :P

i dont recall exactly what the problem was... but i'm guessing it had to do with a faulty plugin which didnt work right (now i remember u fixed that :) )

about mpc: i had it 3 times on my cd, one standalone sfx, one in qt alt, and one in real alt. if i let it install by real or qt alt installers i'll still have it twice and i'm 1-2 mb short on my cd for avg (its about 10-11mb and i have only 8or 9 mb left)

titou: now get to work and put out that package instead of being around the forum :D

ps @ nuhi: after i remove all wmp 6.4 & 9 and uncheck keep compability there are still some files remaining, because titou's installer (stream&codecs2) prompts me if i wanna overwrite something i forgot to remember (could it be qasf.dll & wmploc.dll?). dutch install with xpsp2 and hp38 hotfixpack inc. (as in incorporated ;) )

great thx. will try m our today / one of these days.

btw: what are these : -WMP10_Stream.exe, -WMP10_Stream&Codecs.exe, -WMP10_Stream&Codecs2.exe, WMP10_ActiveX_Path.exe <= have these hanging round in some folder... these are absolete now i guess? dont need m anymore with the new packages (dunno what they are for anyway :) )?

cheers

I'm still unable to play streaming media :/ Using the newest nLite and removing WMP and not checking maintain compatibilty, I still can't get streaming to work after installing stream & codecs 2. In FF, I get the black WMP box but somewhere in the right click menu (details?) it says cannot find suitable codec or something. It's been a while since I last tried (totally forgot about it til I noticed my saved bookmark :D) In IE I think I get the control bar but no screen.

The weird part is, when installing WMP10 over this setup, it doesn't say WMP10 or newer is already installed. It just installs and then of course everything works.

www.big-boys.com is one. I think it is all streaming content though, not 100% sure since WMP10 is now already installed. I will reformat my laptop again in (with next week?) and come back with more specifics.

It seems like WMP10 Lite is slightly different than Stream & Codecs 2? (the file is a little bigger) so I will give that a try.

See website.

@eben

WM update for non english support. (qasf.dll deleted before copying new one). No language warning now.

wmploc.dll also needs to be removed. previously it complained about 2 files (think i mentioned them both in previous post) being overwritten, now we narrowed it down to 1. :thumbup way to go...