Cannot Delete File - Unrecognized File

krakatoa

I am attempting to copy my old HD to a newer HD. I am very familiar with this process as I do it all the time. However, this time I get an error during the copy process and it fails.

There is a file on the HD that is apparently unrecognized by DOS & Windows.

The path to the file is as follows:

C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\local settings\temporary internet files\content.ie5\4L1XJE7O

The name of the file has square box symbols in it: ATALOG>.

The date of the file has a period in the first byte: .5/25/2004

When I try to delete this file, I get the following error message:

Error Deleting File or Folder: Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk.

I checked the properties of the file and read only is not checked. I have booted into Safe Mode and DOS and get the same message.

I have even gone so far as open a command prompt in XP, open the Task Manager to END the Explorer.exe process and tried to delete the file from the command prompt. I does not work. I've also done this from Safe Mode.

No matter what I have tried, I cannot delete this file and therefore, cannot upgrade to my bigger, better HD via a drive copy.

Anybody have a clue what to do?

Thanks in advance.

Cleaning temporary internet files does not work. (this is actually turned on to delete every time I close) It seems that nothing within the Windows or DOS environment can get rid of this file.

As far as virus or spyware - I have total protection and run scans all the time. I do have XP SP2, and don't even use IE, I use Deepnet Explorer.

I don't know what a bart disk is?

I've used a bootalbe floppy and booted to the command prompt and tried deleting the file from there, to no avail.

When I scan this file directly with AV, nothing happens.

Try this:

1. Start a command prompt

2. Change to the C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\local settings\temporary internet files\content.ie5\4L1XJE7O Directory

3. Type dir /x /a and press enter (look carefully for the short file name of the problem file)

4. type attrib "short file name here" -r -s and press enter

5. type del "short file name here" and press enter

When I do that, the short file name is ATALOG> (without the symbols). When I try to delete the file, I get the following message, "the filename is incorrect" I even tried it with a wildcard: ATALOG>* and ATALOG>*.*

Play around with the dir command until you find a short name that works.

dir atalog??.?

dir atalog>?.?

dir atalog>?.

If you still can't get it try going to the directory above it. Change to the C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\local settings\temporary internet files\content.ie5

then type:

attrib -r -s -h 4L1XJE7O\*.* /s press enter then

rd 4L1XJE7O /s/q

Since you won't be needing your old smaller hard drive,

try partitioning the drive with partition magic or similar, install

another os like xp.

Then explore the old partition with the newly installed

os and find and delete the obnoxious file.

Of course, before you do the above, you could try to

rename and / or change the buggers file extention and delete

the bugger...Works for me but, i've got a multiboot system

setup... :thumbup

Ok, first let me say, thanks for everybody's efforts.

Humble3d: I have already installed the HD into 2 other computers as a secondary drive (1 WinXP, 1 Win98). Same problem. Also, I have already tried changing the file ext... cannot do it. I get a message: Cannot Rename File: Cannot Read from Source File or Disk.

Since Windows does not recognize this type of file, I cannot do anything with it (which, ultimately will probably screw me into installing a whole new system on the new HD).

BeenThereB4: Tried everything you gave me... no avail.... the message I get is: Unable to change attribute - C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\local settings\temporary internet files\content.ie5\4L1XJE7O\ATATLOG>

It seems as though it changed the attributes of the other files in the dir, but not ATALOG>.

Does anybody know of a way to do a drivecopy with the exception of a specific file or folder?

• 2 weeks later...

I can easily delete one of the subfolders in

C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\local settings\temporary internet files\content.ie5\ in the same Windows installation.

I suspect the problem is a corrupt index. Try a chkdsk.

KRAKATOA:

The file is unrecognized by DOS & Windows because of its strange name and date so you cannot delete it directly. You have to remove all the directory. Follow these steps:

1) Open Windows in Safe Mode.

2) Open a command prompt

3) Open the Task Manager and end the Explorer.exe process

4) Type C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\local settings\temporary internet files\content.ie5

5) Type rd 4L1XJE7O /s (don't forget the "/s"; that's the clue and don't worry about the attrib...)

Good luck,

Habivorkes

(VIVA COLOMBIA!)

PS: (just reply "QUE VIVA!" if you want to thank me)

• 1 year later...

hi all

i've got the same hard problem.

These files are under C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\

There are 2 or possibly above files in different folders named like FGJ368H

but i cant see these folders and unrecognized files in windows. could only shown in dos prompt.

Files size are 124 mb and 336 mb(complete temporary file size is nearly 590 mb)

And file names contains strange characters and symbols and extentions(ÍfËÙ%¹så.tài) like krakatoa says.

When i look these files dates in dos prompt saw it is 16/07/2030, so i've tought it is a virus

i tried all ways(av,delete in safemod,also you wrote) but cant get any solution for this.

so how could i solve this, anybody give a different answer for that?

thanks

Edited by usrobotics