Optimizing System Bootup Time

Optimize your computer's boot up time.

Requirements: Two small tools - TuneXp and BootVis

Procedure:

1. Optimize Drivers/Services Load Time using Tune XP:

About TuneXP

TuneXP is the official DriverHeaven.net Windows Tweaking software.
All development of TuneXP is therefore endorsed by DriverHeaven, and all donations must be given to them.

TuneXP is freeware, and the 1.5 source is proprietary software. This will change in version 2.0, as non-open tweaks are being removed!.

TuneXP is the single most easy and featured XP tweaker, you'll ever find. Designed with easy-to-use dropdown menus, it will make your Windows installation go from its sluggish state to a red-blooded, optimized mode. All for free.

Dowload: : Here

Step-by-step info on using it:

* STEP 1 - Download it and install it :P

* STEP 2 - Start it up and choose your windows directory (most probably C:\Windows or C:\WINNT)

* STEP 3 - In the "Memory and file system" menu go to "Ultra Fast Booting (rearrange boot files)"

* STEP 4 - Patiently wait for it to finish processing your boot files :thumbup

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Optimizing using BootVis

About BootVis:
Bootvis is a tool for easily enabling capture and graphical display of boot and resume performance trace data in Windows XP.  Bootvis by itself will not change a system's boot or resume performance.  Bootvis is intended as an aid to allow designers and manufacturers to characterize their system's performance during Windows startup in order to identify areas for further investigation and opportunities for performance improvement.

Bootvis can be used to analyze Windows XP startup performance from all off or sleep states, including:

System cold boot (power on from the ACPI S5 state)
Resume from hibernate (the ACPI S4, or "suspend to disk" state)
Resume from standby ( the ACPI S3, or "suspend to RAM" state)

I will show you how to use Microsoft BootVis to speed up your systems bootup and shutdown times. First of all, download the latest version of Microsoft BootVis (v1.3.37.0) from here:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/whi...ootVis-tool.exe

Step-by-Step Guide for using BootVis:

Install and run it :P . The opening screen is simple, and blank. To start...

* STEP 1 - Ensure all of the tickboxes on the left are ticked

* STEP 2 - Click on the Trace menu at the top, and choose Next Boot + Driver Delays

* STEP 3 - Click OK then the Reboot Now button. When your computer restarts, do not click on anything until BootVis opens and closes (wait around 1 minute).

* STEP 4 - When it has appeared and gone, re-open BootVis.

* STEP 5 - Click on the Trace menu at the top again, and choose Optimise System.

* STEP 6 - Click Reboot Now, and when your computer restarts, do not click on anything until BootVis opens and shows a small window explaining what it's doing. It has finished when the box closes.

All done! Your computer will now bootup (and hopefully shutdown!) quicker.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links & Resources :

1. http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/bootvis/

2. http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/tune-19.html

3. http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/tune-19.html

4. Google! :D

one thing you might want to add to you guide is that the more fonts you have installed, the longer it takes to boot, because windows loads them all in boot process. :)

i installed 1000+ fonts one time and it took my comp a few mins to boot up next time :rolleyes:

I found out that one can easily shed 2-3 seconds more by using the following boot switches on slow machines

Step-by-step instructions

1. Open the command prompt (Start>Run>"cmd">Enter)
  2. run the command : attrib -r -s -h "%SystemDrive%\boot.ini"
  3. Open the file %SystemDrive%\boot.ini in notepad
  4. Find your OS's boot line
    E.g.-
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

5. Try adding the following switches (if not already there) :
    /FASTDETECT - Specifying FASTDETECT causes NTDETECT to skip parallel and serial device enumeration for a boot into Win2K, whereas omitting the switch has NTDETECT perform enumeration for a boot into NT 4.0. Win2K setup automatically recognizes dual-boot configurations and sets this switch for BOOT.INI lines that specify a Win2K boot. Windows 2000/XP Only.

/NOGUIBOOT - When this option is specified the VGA video driver responsible for presenting bit mapped graphics during Win2K's boot process is not initialized. The driver is used to display boot progress information, as well as to print the Blue Screen crash screen, so disabling it will disable Win2K's ability to do those things as well. Windows 2000/XP only.

/NOSERIALMICE=[COMx | COMx,y,z...] - Disables serial mouse detection of the specified COM port(s). Use this switch if you have a component other than a mouse attached to a serial port during the startup sequence. If you use /NOSERIALMICE without specifying a COM port, serial mouse detection is disabled on all COM ports.

Tell me if this makes any further decrease in the boot time :)

• 3 weeks later...
the  /NOGUIBOOT switch will disable the WinXP bootscreen too. so what you get to see is a blank screen for that duration, so how exactly will that be saving bootup time.

Well, I hate reposting, but read this again , carefully

/NOGUIBOOT - When this option is specified the VGA video driver responsible for presenting bit mapped graphics during Win2K's boot process is not initialized. The driver is used to display boot progress information, as well as to print the Blue Screen crash screen, so disabling it will disable Win2K's ability to do those things as well. Windows 2000/XP only.

If you specify this switch, then the VGA driver which loads up the boot screen will not be initialized, so it will save some boot time on SLOW systems.

Firstly, i told you in the last post it works wonders on SLOW systems. Try it on Pentium 3 550 Mhz Processor fitted on an Intel 440bx2 Motherboard, then you'll see AND then give me the feedback.

Your feedback and responses are higlhy appreciated.

I only insist that you read the posts carefully before commenting :D

Firstly, i told you in the last post it works wonders on SLOW systems. Try it on Pentium 3 550 Mhz Processor fitted on an Intel 440bx2 Motherboard, then you'll see AND then give me the feedback.

i'd tried it on a P4 1.2 Ghz, which i thought would be slow by today's standard. well my bad, i guess.

did not :no: mean to offend you there buddy.

and did i forget to say THANKS :thumbup for the info and clarification.

Right, well i download bootvis, run it, and this is the problem i'm having, well its not really a problem, it made one hell of a difference showing the welcome screen and logging on to desktop, takes a couple of seconds if that

But, when i clicked optimize in bootvis, my technical way of seeing how fast windows xp loads is counting how many bars are used, during the time it monitors the boot to optimize it, it doesn't even get to finish one bar, however when its finished, and before i did it for that matter, it took 3 and half bars, what does it do different when it monitors it to optimize it? it wouldn't of bothered me before but now i know it can boot that quick, i want to know why it doesn't!

its not a real problem, i'm just curious

• 3 weeks later...

Hy there.

Sorry for this but this post is one of the poorest & stupid post.

What are you sayng in your post is bulls""t.

That are the most simpliest stuffs.

Can't you find something more advanced & interesting.

Sorry.

:)