Gamecube = Worst Mistake Ever?!

MavereX

Nintendo failed. The codenamed Nintendo 2000, or Nintendo Dolphin console, is officially a failure. Before gamecube fanboys go omg no it isnt I love my mario sunshine!!! Lets look at the facts.

Gamecube is #3 In the race, falling behind all the time. The 'gamecube' was designed for and targeted to 8 year olds. The games are far from stellar, and the graphics on most games are cel shaded, almost N64-like. Originality is long gone and the need for addon perhiperals is just another bad factor. Now to back up some of my comments, I will talk about metriod prime. This is supposed to be a super great FPS. Why do many people that play PS2 and Xbox get tired of this game after 5 to 10 minutes of playing it? How about that Final Fantasy game for Gamecube, very stupid you gotta always stay in this circle or you get hurt, and yeah, the whole way you play the game is lame. The size of the gamecube disks are tiny, and hold little information, as far as I can remember only a gig and a half: in other words, the games are much smaller. The discs are designed to fit in a childs hand, and so is the controller. So where do we large packaged and larged handed men do? We play on a big boy console called the xbox.

The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past was one of the best Zelda games ever made. It was just epic. Good ol super nintendo, now you forever rest with every single game youve ever had on my xbox's hard drive.

I'm sorry maverex but I don't see how any of your reasons genuinely contribute to Nintendo's failure over the last years. What you HAVE to remember is this, Nintendo have failed only in the west, Europe, and America, now yes they are probably the two biggest areas that will mean success or failure, but our tastes are so much different to those in Japan/Asia in general, where Nintendo still remain supreme. The reasons why Nintendo have failed over here are like this:

1. Advertising. Plain and simple, THE killer of Nintendo, I am a nintendo fan boy, and I have no problem in saying that Nintendo probably make THE best games ever. They well and truly are one of the only developers left, if any, who are willing to take the risks and make original, fantastic games. Pikmin anyone? B) The problem is though, Nintendo DO suck at advertising, and showing off their muscle, how many adverts in mags/tv/etc do you see for any of their products, nowhere near as many as those for X-Box or PS2.

2. Sony & Microsoft. Its because of these 2 companies consoles, and their lack of true innovation and originality, that gaming is more and more becoming aimed towards the 'casual gamer'. Gamers these days, they don't WANT originality or fun, they wanna blow heads off innocent people and see blood and guts splattered all over the pavement. Developers (and gamers) are beginning to think that if you throw naked women, violence and abusive language in a game, you have a 'mature' game for a 'mature' audience. Roll in all of the 12 year old's who wanna buy 15+ rated games...

If you ask me, I say take away GTA (Which is a genuinely fantastic game I will say) from the PS2, and the god awful Halo from the X-Box, then the two really don't have that many selling points...

so true lylo, i have a freind with an xbox who Im guessing is brainwashed by all the advertisements in gaming magazines and on tv, and often feels a need to spontaneously tout the superiority of his xbox for no apparent cause. I see it everywhere, and its just stupid.

Halo(s) is 1 game, its not perfect, what Halo(s) really is IS branding. Microsoft needs to keep its xbox owners happy despite them not having any other good games.

Halo = Hype.

The Xbox and PS2 really LACK EXCLUSIVE titles, most are already on PC, with better graphics, etc. We actually own a gamecube here, its a better system for the family, the wavebird controllers are excellent, its better for traveling, and the games are genuine, i see no reason to own an xbox/ps2 since i already have a very good pc.

[EDIT] I also want to point out something MavereX has said, that I've seen and heard from more than one person.

So where do we large packaged and larged handed men do? We play on a big boy console called the xbox.

Why are people becoming insecure of their sex over a video game system, particulary xbox owners and subscribers? Marketing? This is quite an adolescent position. :whistle:

And you want originality? A word and two letters for you: Nintendo DS. Nuff said. Dual Screen, Touch Screen, Integrated Microphone, 16 Player WIRELESS multiplay with only one game cartridge required.

Even better is the fact that the DS has took off so well in Japan and America, the PSP? Don't make me laugh. Sony have realised they're not in the handheld market and so they've decided that without any thinking about, they'll make their own 'contender' to the DS, whats happened? It's failing, but I will be honest in saying I don't think its going to lose. Why? Because Rockstar have confirmed GTA for the PSP. There you have what will be the PSP's only selling point. Thats if the battery life can go long enough to play the games intro and to last long enough for a mission. ;)

The only thing I like about the Gamecube is its durability... The hosts on X-Play (Adam Sessler and Morgan Webb) did a number of tests on the XBOX, PS2, and Gamecube... Smashing, dropping, and more smashing... The PS2 died first, then the XBOX tied with the Gamecube, then the XBOX ceased to start up, but the Gamecube was able to run without any problems! :)

hum...ill stick with my ps2. i hate the gamecube. probably the only good thing from nintende was the 64. SUPER SMASH BROS. :D . the graphics are actualy better then some games i know from these days lol

also, why get an xbox when you have a pc?

Nintendo's biggest mistake... when they contracted Sony to create a CD add-on for their Nintendo 64. They decided when it was almost complete to pull out. Sony, being stuck with this CD device that was an "add-on" decided "Hey, lets just make it it's own console... oh, and let's call it 'Playstation!'" Yeah... that's one of the secrets about the Playstation that Nintendo doesn't want everyone knowing. Bet someone got fired... HAHA

Oh, and for those of you who might not believe me... Here's just one of the MANY reputible sources you can find this at... http://inventors.about.com/library/invento...playstation.htm

Gamecube is an awesome console. Being third in a console race consisting of only three consoles is not a horrible thing. I don't think someone can legitimately say that gamcube games lack originality, with all its original titles, and stuff like Donky Konga. Gamecube is a good party system (don't need multitap unlike PS2 [not bashing PS2 here]) and has extremely short loading times. Smaller disk space doesn't mean the games themselves are necessarily smaller (ever heard of multiple disks?), and some of the games that come out on all consoles play and look IMO best on gamecube (e.g. Enter the Matrix). Just because a stupid circle in one RPG on one game for GC p***es you off doesn't mean that the console sucks. It is not true that most games are cell-shaded (perhaps you are just made cuz Wind-Waker was, although they're coming out with a new Zelda game that looks sick), and Super Smash Bros. Melee owns.

I have a PS2 as well and I think the PS2 is better overall, but gamecube is awesome too, and calling gamecube a mistake would be a mistake itself.