Gamecube = Worst Mistake Ever?!

MavereX

also look at how many titles on the gamecube are sequels from previous platforms. Where did the awesome orginality that we know and love from Nintendo go??

What do you mean "sequels?" If you look at it that way, then originality ended with SNES, cuz Super Mario World is a sequel to Super Mario Bros.

Even games retaining some of the same characters/stories could be considered entirely new games. For example, metroid went from being a side-scrolelr to an FPS, Dokney Kong can now be a music/adventure game, etc. So Nintendo is creating entirely new games but delivering them in a familiar package. Plus Gamecube has its fair share of original titles like Pikmin, and GCN exclusives like Phantasy Star Online, Super Monkey Ball (yes its fun), MGS twin snakes, godzilla destroy all monsters melee, etc.

Hye un4given1, You're right about that deal with Sony and Nintendo, I didn't read the link you posted, but I read different a while back, what I read was that it was coming up to the end of the 16 bit era, and apparently Nintendo were making the same deal with Phillips when they pulled out. Phillips then went to Sony with this new CD technology and because of that, the Playstation was born.

Tell me if I'm right in anyway haha :rolleyes:

And as for those dissing FF Crystal Chronicles... you never tried it with 3 mates with their GBA's then? :D An expensive set up I know but its bloody worth it! B)

Gamecube is an awesome console. Being third in a console race consisting of only three consoles is not a horrible thing. I don't think someone can legitimately say that gamcube games lack originality, with all its original titles, and stuff like Donky Konga. Gamecube is a good party system (don't need multitap unlike PS2 [not bashing PS2 here]) and has extremely short loading times. Smaller disk space doesn't mean the games themselves are necessarily smaller (ever heard of multiple disks?), and some of the games that come out on all consoles play and look IMO best on gamecube (e.g. Enter the Matrix).  Just because a stupid circle in one RPG on one game for GC p***es you off doesn't mean that the console sucks. It is not true that most games are cell-shaded (perhaps you are just made cuz Wind-Waker was, although they're coming out with a new Zelda game that looks sick), and Super Smash Bros. Melee owns.

I have a PS2 as well and I think the PS2 is better overall, but gamecube is awesome too, and calling gamecube a mistake would be a mistake itself.

1st of all donkey konga isnt an original title, donkey kong has been around since the 80's its the same 4 games over and over again donkey kong, zelda, mario, and super smash brothers (all of them in one game)

2nd of all xbox has the quickest loading time of all 3 consoles. And its even faster if you put the game on the hard drive.

3rd of all gamecube loading times are small only because the games are small (small capacity disk) yes there can be more disks but its easier and more convenient to have one disk. what happens if you lost disk 2? you can only play half the game! Better to lose it all then half, and less parts to worry about.

Also theres gamecube games that look like n64 games. It p***es me off that they waste such powerful technology (2nd most powerful console) on some cel shaded games. Dont take me wrong, cel shaded is awesome but they are almost all cel shaded and crummy graphics. Yes, youll think well graphics over gameplay, but please, name me a game for gamecube that honestly is fun and can amuse someone for more than 10 minutes that expects alot from a game.

Edit: Btw who the hell in their right mind would buy 3 GBA's and a GC to play FF crystal chronicles.

What do you mean "sequels?" If you look at it that way, then originality ended with SNES, cuz Super Mario World is a sequel to Super Mario Bros. 

Even games retaining some of the same characters/stories could be considered entirely new games. For example, metroid went from being a side-scrolelr to an FPS, Dokney Kong can now be a music/adventure game, etc. So Nintendo is creating entirely new games but delivering them in a familiar package. Plus Gamecube has its fair share of original titles like Pikmin, and GCN exclusives like Phantasy Star Online, Super Monkey Ball (yes its fun), MGS twin snakes, godzilla destroy all monsters melee, etc.

The person you were quoting meant sequels of sequels are getting much too old.

Oh and also PSO , is NOT a GCN exclusive. Its for Xbox too, and IT SUCKS ON BOTH CONSOLES! (Worst mmorpg ever, well, close!) Also Godzilla destroy all monsters is NOT an exclusive, it is also a terrible game. I cant believe you even wrote those as exclusives even if they were they still really suck.

And MGS sucks. Its more of an interactive movie than game. You play for 30 seconds then a **** half an hour clip comes up. Also the controls are terrible. Btw xbox has MGS2 while GC has MGS1, and ps2 has all 3

Same characters and stories yes, but that doesnt really make it a whole new game, its saving the princess again with updated graphics and speech. And instead of being a real game its now targeted at 8 year olds. (Not just talking about mario series, but dk and zelda)

There I just totally made your whole speech invalid.

@MavareX: Your logic is sophomoric at best sometimes. With the multiple disc issue, are you saying its better that you can't play a game at all instead of playing at least half a game? Also, you can't render a speech invalid because of subjective statements that are not at all widely supported. IMO and the opinions of many others, MGS is a great game, and I think its better than any game on Xbox. Again, that's just opnion, and many of your arguments are just opnion. Also, games aren't all about graphics. Take vietiful joe for example. Many people have agreed that its a great game.

Lylo was talking about you and YOUR MATES playing FF crystal chronicles with GBAs, not one person buying all GBAs. Learn to read, plz.

1st of all donkey konga isnt an original title

REALLY?! :o What other game in the last 20 or so years has required you to hit bongos in time with music?! Just because a game uses the same character or names in it's brand, does not make it unoriginal. I suppose Wario Ware (an undeniable Nintendo classic) is completely unoriginal because Wario is in it?! You're right that the Zelda games do usually follow very similar storylines, but in no way does that make every single Zelda game unoriginal. The Ocarina of Time was praised for how amazingly deep it was, and the scale of the thing was just huge, along with the amount of stuff you can do. The Wind Waker simply added to this, and because of that, was also praised as a classic!

Even if you are gonna continue believing that Nintendo don't make original titles, how about the most important aspect of them all: FUN. You play games, to have FUN.

Four players on FF:CC : Brilliant. Four players on Mario Kart - Double Dash: Absolutely fantastic. Four players around Wario Ware: Bye Bye Best Friend! :D Four players on Zelda - The Four Swords: Excellent.

Get my drift? And all Nintendo exclusives I do believe...

Nintendo not only make possibly the most original games still, but without a doubt they also make the most fun games...

Uhh yeah, and 4 players is something thats exclusive for gamecube? no. Your talking like Gamecube is the only console that has four player games.

And also, can you play 4 players online? NO. Can you play four player games meant for people that are older than ten? NO. Bongos in time with music, wow im gonna spend my well earned money on some thing thats meant for children. And ill use it every day with all my other games!! Im just a FUN guy!!!!!

Think of it: Fable or morrowind.. two good rpgs, or a game where your in a circle I cant get out of without dying in FF:CC, and I need game boy advances for other people to play.

Or how about a realistic racing game like project gotham racing 2 or a racing game thats hands down better than any other racing game that has ever existed doesnt matter who sees it they will agree forza motorsports. Or are you going to play mario kart: DOUBLE DASH!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Double means super!!!!!

Or how about a FPS like Halo 2, Doom 3, or Rainbow Six 3: Black arrow. Or you can go play Metorid Prime yeah! Wow that game is sure talked about every day because it is just so awesome. wow.

How about 4 player games? Theres lots on xbox, and lots are ONLINE.

Yeah, thats means you can have four friends, you know, that aren't in their preteens. And go play titles from all genres, not just adventure, with your friends, and even link up two xboxes or up to eight xboxes, if you have, say more than four friends, and still play online against people, and not only will it not lag, it will be FAST.

I rest my case, for now.

MavereX, I think you need to relax...

You're not going to convince anyone that XBox is better if you keep telling them that they're idiots for spending money on a system other than XBox.

As for the XBox itself, yes it is a good console with many good features. BUT, it may not appeal to everyone. Some people actually prefer games like Zelda and the Final Fantasy series to Project Gotham and Rainbow 6.

I personally prefer the PS2 to the XBox myself. I did own an XBox for a while, but then I returned it because I just couldn't get used to the controllers and the lack of games that appealed to me. So I returned it and ended up getting a PS2 with 3 years warranty (just in case, *touch wood*) and I still had money left over. The thing has never let me down yet, and it's much more portable than the XBox by any means.

Money has different value to everyone. Some people prefer to spend it on their favorite console (whatever it may be). Others like to modify their cars. Others still, like to save it so that they can retire those extra few years early. If someone has earned their money fair and square, then they have every right to spend it as they choose.

Oh and I must agree that MGS:2 is a really well made game, not just play for 30secs and then a long movie. Try playing through it on hardcore mode... not being detected by anyone, if you do it's game over, the moment that they see you (let me tell you, it's a helluva lot harder than any FPS game out there. The fact that it's such a different gameplay style (stealth vs shoot-em-up) makes it unique as well.

Please respond, but do so in a polite manner with viable arguments (not just "I'm right, you're an id***").

My point ISN'T that the gamecube offers only four player games. I'm saying that Nintendo make easily the best multiplay games, and single plays, that don't have to resort to such overused features such as 'gib this dude to see guts' or 'use stealth here' or whatever. Obviously you've never even given any of these games a try, and I seriously won't believe you even if you say you have!

Anyway, allow me for a second to just divert away from Gamecube and go on to your X-Box, which you've finally given examples of games for...

Halo 2 - Not that well received by the general gaming public. Praised only for its multiplayer (Fair enough with 16 player Live deathmatches or whatever), but overall, a major victim to hype. Also bound to be developed for PC any time soon.

Morrowind - Pc version available.....

Fable, admittedly I don't know much about, although I'll resort to general reviews here saying again that it was a major victim of hype.

Project Gotham 2 - Realistic?! :lol: Ok, so throw real cars in there, you have a realistic racer. Besides if it wasn't for Metropolis Street Racer on the dreamcast you'd never have PGR in the first place...

Doom 3 - If you're saying this is a brilliant FPS you need shooting I'm sorry to say, this was easily the biggest dissapointment of 2004, and I seriously believe thats not just my opinion. People stopped talking about Doom 3 a month or so after it was released.

Rainbow Six 3 - Yes it's an original X-Box title, but why doncha just go out and get Raven Shield and Athena Sword on the cheap.

You don't even sound like you need a console. I've read in another thread you posted how your X-Box is the ultimate emulation machine. Just use your **** PC! Yes, it is pretty amazing what you can do with a modded X-Box, but why bother when your nice desktop is sat right there ready to boot up and blitz away.

Right, I'm gonna end this now, I hate going into b***h mode, and I've done enough whinging for one day.

:blushing:

Call me a fanboy or whatever you want. I'm just trying to defend a company that should rightfully be winning the console wars rather then losing to narrow minded gamers who want a big, fat X-Box controller in their hands because its the manly thing to do, or players who think its all about blowing s*** up and shouting 'Noob' to people on the other end of a deathmatch. If you wanna further continue the flame war or whatever, fine with me, I'll leave you to go play Counter Strike or whatever...

• 2 weeks later...