install order of win98 system

correct

winfs won't make it

ms is putting it off along with other stuff

sides i tried the beta longhorns n they r crap=won't goto longhorn=i'd goto linux

i use 98 and xp and 2000,for media players winamp is a good alternative to windows media player,mandrake linux 10 is pretty good just won't switch to linux yet cuzz wine don't work for me and i use windows games 24/7 and windows apps 24/7

I'm a Linux fan. I have a P-IV laptop which has Fedora Linux Core 3. ;)

My home system is a Celeron with 256 MB RAM. It has Windows 98 SE and Windows 2000. The development of SP is on this system.

my laptop is a compaq 1235(it's a 5 year old model i purchased 3 months ago cuzz i wanted a laptop even a crappy one)it has 98 on it with 160 ram on it(when i got it it had 3 ram left on it but now it has lotsa ram)i got rid of windows 2000 and sticking to xpsp1 and xpsp2 and win 98

one day i may put w2k+sp3 on it

my laptop is a compaq 1235(it's a 5 year old model i purchased 3 months ago cuzz i wanted a laptop even a crappy one)it has 98 on it with 160 ram on it(when i got it it had 3 ram left on it but now it has lotsa ram)i got rid of windows 2000 and sticking to xpsp1 and xpsp2 and win 98

one day i may put w2k+sp3 on it

mine is a Compaq LTE 5300...133mhz, 80mb or RAM (9yrs old now). i use it more than my main machine cos i laze in bed a lot. this thing got me thru yr12, even tho once it wouldnt turn on wen i needed to do my work, so i had to pull it apart during my free period during 3rd period so i could get it to work during 4th period. Then i got a lecture from my teacher about backing up my work...this guy knows nothing about computers and doesnt realise a harddrive is a seperate componant.

@seraph00

At present the new file system in use with Longhorn, won't have any promise of NT compatibility or support.
A little reading for you...

http://www.msfn.org/comments.php?shownews=11234

MSFN = Microsoft Forum Network

Why not find yourself back to the linux forum you came from. Don't get me wrong, I see pluses in linux... but this board isn't for Linux. Now certainly it's your own opinion, but once again.. MICROSOFT Forum Network.

So yeah, at the moment, the only reason I have anything M$ on my computer, is to have a working install of 98se for my games.

and the only reason I put gas in my car is because that's the only way it works. Sure, I could find me a nice little Linux hill and give her a push... but come on. the truth is this... Linux will NEVER be a worthy opponent until open licensing goes away and someone is able to line their pockets with the money. You all stand back and preach for open source... but one day that will all change, and if it doesn't you can rest assured Linux isn't going to take over the market.

and the only reason I put gas in my car is because that's the only way it works. Sure, I could find me a nice little Linux hill and give her a push... but come on. the truth is this... Linux will NEVER be a worthy opponent until open licensing goes away and someone is able to line their pockets with the money. You all stand back and preach for open source... but one day that will all change, and if it doesn't you can rest assured Linux isn't going to take over the market.

It really depends what market you are talking about. Take the web server market for example. According to this netcraft survey the free open source Apache web server has 67.84%, while microsoft sits a distant second with only 21.19% market share. You dont have to be good with numbers to figure out who owns that market.

That being said, what would you guess is powering these msfn forums? Have a peek here. :thumbup

and the only reason I put gas in my car is because that's the only way it works.

well u could always get a conversion done so you can run ur car on petrol so it can run leaded or unleaded....with gas and petrol, ure car can run on TWO fuels! :D

Yes, it's true as I've tested the IE 5.5 SP2 834707 update for myself.

If you double-click on the patch, it says 'This Update Requires Windows ME'

if you run it on a non-ME system.  Later this week I'll post how to install the

IE 5.5 SP2 834707 update on non-WinME systems.

For Win98 SE users using IE 5.5 SP2 and want to install the 834707 update

for IE 5.5 SP2, download the patch and use WinRAR, Winzip or any archiving

tool to view the patch's contents. Extract all the files inside the patch onto

a temporary folder like 'C:\Temp\834707'. From that folder type the following

from the Run dialog box:

C:\Temp\834707\ieupdate.exe Q834707

That will install the files from the IE 5.5 SP2 834707 update and you must restart

the computer in order for IE 5.5 SP2 to use the updated files.

By the way, seraph00, Office 2003 Pro is only compatible with Win2000, XP and

Server 2003 systems and O2K3 won't run under Win9x, ME & NT4. Running

Linux systems has its own pros and cons.

The 828026 WMP update has some bugs, CLASYS so obtain the 832353 update

instead which fixes the problems with the 828026 update.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832353

In fact, dump the 828026 patch as the 832353 updates are newer than the

828026 updates.

You are of course correct. My point was merely to illustrate that there are nasty releases of hotfixes we need here for 98SE that nominally don't work on 98SE, but if you go "inside" you can get it to work on 98SE anyway.

Thanks for the post on that IE55-patch specific method. Will keep it in mind if any more overly-restrictive stuff comes out. So far, all 28 of the patches I know about for IE60SP1 don't need any of this kind of "help" etc.

Anyone need any expansion on the list of 28 hotfixes? [Or have MORE than 28?]

cjl