Acrobat reader strikes again...

Radimus

Acrobat Speedup works by moving files from the "plug_ins" directory to the "optional" directory. My initial thought is that mimicing that behavior within the installer MSI might not work depending on how Acrobat is trained to look for plugins.

I probably won't do any acrobat speedup type stuff with my switchless installer. For what it's worth, Acrobat Speedup can be run silently.

To speedup Acrobat:

Run this VBS script, which I got from somewhere on MSFN (All credit to author)

Option Explicit
On Error Resume Next

'Define variables
Dim ProgramPath, FSO, objShell, objNetwork

'Define objects
set FSO = CreateObject("scripting.filesystemobject")
Set objShell=WScript.CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")

'Accept EULA
objShell.RegDelete "HKCU\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\AdobeViewer\EULA"
objShell.RegDelete "HKLM\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\AdobeViewer\EULA"
objShell.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\AdobeViewer\EULA","1","REG_DWORD"
objShell.RegWrite "HKLM\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\AdobeViewer\EULA","1","REG_DWORD"

'no updates, no ads...
objShell.regwrite "HKLM\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\FeatureLockdown\bUpdater","0","REG_DWORD"
objShell.regwrite "HKLM\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\FeatureLockdown\bShowAdsAllow","0","REG_DWORD"
objShell.regwrite "HKCU\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\AdobeViewer\AdsInReader\bShowAds","0","REG_DWORD"
objShell.regwrite "HKCU\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\AdobeViewer\Originals\bDisplayAboutDialog","0","REG_DWORD"
objShell.regwrite "HKCU\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\AdobeViewer\Updater\bShowAutoUpdateConfDialog","0","REG_DWORD"
objShell.regwrite "HKCU\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\AdobeViewer\Updater\bShowNotifDialog","0","REG_DWORD"
objShell.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\Originals\bDisplayAboutDialog","0","REG_DWORD"
objShell.regwrite "HKCU\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\AdobeViewer\Updater\iUpdateFrequency","0","REG_DWORD"

'Delete shortcuts
FSO.DeleteFile objShell.SpecialFolders("AllUsersDesktop") & "\Adobe Reader 6.0.lnk", True
'FSO.DeleteFile objShell.SpecialFolders("AllUsersPrograms") & "\Adobe Reader 6.0.lnk", True
FSO.DeleteFolder objShell.SpecialFolders("AllUsersPrograms") & "\PrintMe Internet Printing", True

'delete old optionnal plugin folder
FSO.DeleteFolder "c:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\Optional", True

'rename plugins to optional
FSO.MoveFolder "c:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\plug_ins", "c:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\Optional"

'create a new plugin folder
FSO.CreateFolder "c:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\plug_ins"

'Delete security risk
'FSO.DeleteFile "c:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\optional\eBook.api", True

'move the desired plugins back to it
FSO.MoveFile "c:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\optional\EWH32.api", "c:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\plug_ins\EWH32.api"
FSO.MoveFile "c:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\optional\Search.api", "c:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\plug_ins\Search.api"
FSO.MoveFile "c:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\optional\reflow.api", "c:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\plug_ins\reflow.api"

if had known it was coming so soon
Personally, I think I would wait for AcroRead 7.0 to come out (in final form).
:lol:

Yeah yeah, yuck it up :realmad:

For what it's worth, I found a download link for 7.0 (from Adobe's FTP server, so it's legit)

The installer says something about optimizing performance....  maybe the "plugins" to "optional" trick.

Other new things to remove - the yahoo search. :P

The NetOpSystems thing has been in their installers since 5.0. It has nothing to do with that. There's also a startup item installed which supposed speeds up Acrobat. My bet is it's similar to the feature you can enable with the Mozilla Suite to load some DLLs on Windows startup to reduce loading time. From what I can tell, it is NOT a replacement for Acrobat Speedup.