HFSLIP (original thread)

tommyp

@tripleX - You can slipstream your msxml sp7. Throw the msi installer into the HF folder. Regarding the issues you have with your installation, please follow the error reporting procedure in the first post of this so I can help you out.

@all - New version is up. Some FDV tweaks, eliminated a needless re-cab operation (saves a minute or two) and some tidying.

@tommyp & fdv: thank you so very much for providing this tool and your continued efforts. I have applied it to Win2K Pro, Win2K Server, and Win2K Advanced Server with great success.

And after reading this entire thread the words of my first grade teacher, Sister Catherine, come back to haunt me again. "Following instructions is a sign of intelligence." She tossed out that truism on occassion as a challenge to her sometimes scatter-brained students, and it never failed to inspire.

Your instructions are clear, meticulous, and accurate. :D

@tommyp:

Hi again,

I tested again with the latest version of hfslip, and the same problem keeps happening with slipstreamed directx (usb audio not working).

Do you have any lead about what could the problem be?

Thanks,

Pene

fdv

Tried the new set of files. Still have some problems.

1. Windows 2000 Professional English with SP4.

2. DirectX and all hotfixes from your page except hotfixes for IE6.1 slipstreamed with hfslip 50902. No other software and drivers are installed.

3. Changed only these files: notepad.exe (Mark v0.9f), ntdetect.com and ntldr (from XP), riched20.dll (v5.40.11.2210).

Issues:

1. When starting OE: "There was a problem switching folders, possibly the folder was busy. Please wait a moment and try again". Tried to move Store Folder on C: but it doesn't help.

2. There is a standard letter "Welcome to Outlook Express 5" in Inbox. But the content can't be seen - only grey colour insted of it.

3. When clicking on New Message there is an error "One or more parts of this message could not be displayed. Clicking on OK then gives "There was an error openning the message. There is not enough memory".

4. After closing OE it can't be opened again but there is a process runing msmn.exe. If that process is closed OE can run again.

5. CHM files don't work - no contents is displayed, only white background. If mshtml.dll is placed into system32 nothing changes.

6. Transparency doesn't work - no problem for me, just for info.

Regards,

Oleg 2

P.S. Forgot to mention that DELFILES.txt deletes msnm.exe needed for OE installation. Not a problem really.

Edited by Oleg_II

Internet Connection Wizard - I'm not surprised you had problems, as with my fileset, it is not installed! My fileset assumes you set things up manually. In other words, you search for the Microsoft DUN (dial up networking) executable (I forget what it's called, is it MSDUN.EXE? can't recall its been so long... try searching for *dun*.exe) and do things manually without use of a Wizard. I did this because the fileset essentially brings Windows 2000 back to the good old days of Windows NT 4 when a "wizard" was something out of a Tolkein novel and not something you found on a computer getting in your way

Sorry, can't find it. There is no *dun*.exe in my system. Maybe another name for the DUN executable?

Found one: rasphone.exe. Too late, have to roll back. Try it next time.

Regards,

Oleg 2

Edited by Oleg_II

Oleg_II - MALWARE ALERT!

msnm.exe information. I was wondering about this file because it's not familiar to me. I looked in my DELFILES and it's not there. I think you'd better run a spyware and virus scan on your system... redo things and run a clean install from known good sources.

Somehow it seems like an .EXE you have contains malware.

There is no *dun*.exe in my system. Maybe another name for the DUN executable?Found one: rasphone.exe.
BTW on dialup connections, it is indeed RASPHONE.EXE.
CHM files don't work - no contents is displayed, only white background. If mshtml.dll is placed into system32 nothing changes.

right click on IEACCESS.INF and select install. you need a few more files than MSHTML; this file should do it for you.

Edited by fdv

@blinkdt - Thanks for the compliment. Would you mind if I quoted your words for the first post of the thread?

@pene - The last I heard from you about your usb issue was when you couldn't get the list the hfslip'd computer. Can you run this for me? Start/Run/DXDIAG. See where the errors are and report back. My system works fine here.

@Oleg_II - Are you removing IE with FDV files and then installing IE6 after windows is installed?

@triplex - I didn't forget about you, I'm evaluating your errorlog. Give me a bit to see what's happening. I think I found something interesting.....

@triplex - Found the errors (actually Microsoft induced errors) with file versions and file dates. Hopefully you have set an example here on error reporting so I can quickly fix things. I fixed some other stuff while I was editting the file.

@All - New version is up with HFSLIP fixing Microsoft errors. Please use the error_report.txt file to report any issues.

fdv

Sorry, I was careless, it's msimn.exe - OE executable. I'll try your set at the weekend again.

tommup

No, I don't use IE at all and there is only one hotfix for it in HF folder IE5.01sp4-KB896727-Windows2000sp4-x86-ENU.exe as advised by fdv (there are other hotfixes for the system also).

Regards,

Oleg 2

Edited by Oleg_II

@All - New version is up with HFSLIP fixing Microsoft errors.  Please use the error_report.txt file to report any issues.

When I first opened WU I must install KB898461.

I have 1 security updates missed in my installation:KB890046

when slepsstreamer integrating these hotfixes:

KB886677

KB886716 (v2)

KB889527 (v3)

KB893357 (v2)

KB896626 (v2)

the information about missing file appears on screen.

for example:

bugs11mo.th.jpg

translating:

Nie można odnaleźć pliku -> can not find file

Liczba skopiowanych plików ->Number of copied files

when slepsstreamer integrating WGA I see on screen:

error20mc.jpg

1) virgin Windows XP Professional Polish with SP2

2) HFSLIP_50905.cmd

3) FIX->winnt.sif

MSIEXT ->MSICabExtract.exe,MSICabExtract.txt

4)I didn't change any files

my files in my HF folder -> hotfixes.txt

log from HFNetChk -> WU.TXT

log from Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer 2- >Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer 2.0.doc

Do You plan slipstreamer for KB887472 ?

check attachment

ERROR_REPORT.zip

Edited by dziubek

@triplex - Found the errors (actually Microsoft induced errors) with file versions and file dates.  Hopefully you have set an example here on error reporting so I can quickly fix things.  I fixed some other stuff while I was editting the file. 

@All - New version is up with HFSLIP fixing Microsoft errors.  Please use the error_report.txt file to report any issues.

This was expected, the guys at M$ did make many errors lately.

Thx tommyp, I will try the new version on XP immediately.

tripleX

My installation from slipstreamed source shows no updates in Windows Update and 62nds.com. I have only one strange problem with usb camera driver but I'm investigating it now.

I tried to use Russian and Chines Simplified MUI today and found that after applying there are about 23 hotfixes shown in 62nds.com. All of them are connected with outdated file versions. Just curious - does using MUI really changes the files that were updated once to older files or it is just the metter of MUI patching file versions to localized and the installation is still up-to-date in fact?

Windows 2000 Professional SP4 English with DirectX9.1c and hotfixes, no IE splipstreaming.

Best regards,

Oleg 2

I have problems with integrating IE6 and DX9. I have checked the some file versions of IE6 (iexplore.exe, browseui.dll) which shows version 6, while browser.dll shows version 5. When I start IE it shows version 5.

DirectX shows only version 7.

I used HFSLIP_50827.cmd and I have german Version of W2K Pro with SP4.

@kukris - there could be a lot of things wrong with the way you set things up (there are successful german language users) so please post the required troubleshooting info as a zipfile, as specified in the directions. most likely your hotfix folder contents have an IE5 patch, among other things.