HOTFIXES: Windows XP SP2 & Windows 2000 SP4

KB890175 is still listed under Windows Update from a clean install point. I know that it won't probably show up if you install all the other hotfixes but my experience tell me I should leave it there.

Actually, I replaced it with KB896358 in my own update set (as MS05-026 says it has been replaced) and windows update showed 0 critical updates.

While it may be the case that it's listed on a clean install, that seems to me to be a Windows Update error, as installing KB896358 makes KB890175 disappear from the update list (as it should).

When SP2 came along, the GDI+ update was supposed to be unecessary but it was still showing up sometimes on certain configuration.

Such as for every single Windows that has Office installed. :P

Silly Microsoft.

[EDIT]

On a side note, I've been using a homebrewed Auto-It-based XP Post-SP2 Updater for a few months now, and I think it's pretty stable.

All it does is check for the various registry keys that each update should modify, shows you the ones that aren't yet installed, and runs each of the update packages (official MS ones, except for WMP and .NET) in silent mode, showing you the progress as it goes down the list.

If anyone is interested in this, I can clean it up a bit, make it a little more user-friendly, and post it in a thread.

I might also be able to add an automation switch that still shows update progress which you can use in SVCPACK on an XP CD. This would allow you to see what update is currently installing and what has yet to be done.

Edited by KrytenAG

*NEW UPDATES*

Update for Windows XP (KB900930)-Outlook Expres

Download Size:1284 KB

Date Published:6/17/2005

Overview

Install this update to address multiple Outlook Express issues in Windows XP. This update addresses an issue in which messages are improperly handled if the subject line contains the word “begin” and a display issue concerning watched threads in newsgroups. This update also addresses two issues in which Outlook Express stops responding. After you install this update, you may have to restart your computer.

Update for Windows XP (KB884883) (upgrade)

Download Size:4518 KB

Overview

When you work in a program that loads both version 5 and version 6 of the Comctl32.dll file in Microsoft Windows XP, the program may stop responding, and an access violation may occur in the Comctl32.dll file.

Note You may also see mixed window styles when you experience this problem. If a program selects Comctl32.dll version 6, the program may show a Windows XP style (Comctl32 version 6) window. However, if you experience this problem, the program may show both the Windows XP style and Windows Classic style (Comctl32 version 5) windows. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

@dziubek

Thanks,

KB884883 is already at V8, when I downloaded the new version, the filesize went up from +- 1MB to +- 4MB :P

The problem is that when a KB nr. is upgraded to a new version (like for KB884883), it isn't shown on windows updates (well execept for KB893066 and Windows installer) . So if you intergade them, or install the updates with a batch file you are still working with an older version.

This is why I redownloaded all hotfixes again. Below you can find an attachment with the results.

hotfixes with an "!!!" behind it have been upgraded to a higher version nr.

Note that this list is for a dutch version of XP

@Nilfred & dziubek

Indeed KB884020 isn't needed anymore, I did a fresh install yesterday without KB884020 and there where no new windows updates

hotfix.zip

Edited by erik_demon

What with these hotfixs?

KB900930- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900930/en (OE 6)

KB885523 - http://support.microsoft.com/?id=885523

"This problem may occur if all the following conditions are true:

• T.V. Media (TvMedia.tvmbho) from Total Velocity Corporation is installed on your computer.

• You have not installed Critical Update 885523.

• You tried to install Windows XP SP2."

When I have integrated SP2 this this mistake it does not step out and I need not install this hotfix?

KB885894 http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=885894

"This problem may occur if the following conditions are true:

• You are using certain filter drivers. For example, the problem is known to occur if you are using the Ibmfilter.sys driver. This driver is installed by the IBM Rescue and Recovery with Rapid Restore software. The problem may also occur with other filter drivers."

When I have integrated SP2 this this mistake it does not step out and I need not install this hotfix?

He had it on his list for windows (dutch) erik_demon, they are still necessary?

@Astalavista

Can You write out your hotfixs contained HotFixes.rar

dziubek

dziubek

Edited by dziubek

It's a re-released update ? (http://www.msfn.org/comments.php?catid=2&id=13602)

Because, this update exists since ~ 19 june...

Edit:

*NEW UPDATES*

Update for Windows XP (KB900930)-Outlook Expres

Download Size:1284 KB

Overview

Install this update to address multiple Outlook Express issues in Windows XP. This update addresses an issue in which messages are improperly handled if the subject line contains the word “begin” and a display issue concerning watched threads in newsgroups. This update also addresses two issues in which Outlook Express stops responding. After you install this update, you may have to restart your computer.

???

Edited by hj_fr

Astalavista, yes you can remove them because they have been replaced with newer hotfixes.

Do you know ryanvm`s post sp2 update pack? he has a list of all updates that have been suppressed by new updates.

Link

On the left, the old hotfix, on the right, the hotfix that has replaced it.