Who Has The Cleanest/Most Organized System?

Jeremy

@DaLurker i know it's a version of knoppix, you can find more here.

i selected knoppix 3.7 because it has a LOT more functions than DSL (still without writing support for my sata HD). anyway if you want a reduced os it's the best election at least for me.

it's amazing how you can turn on a computer only with that cd and how easy you can play a mp3 and chat with your friends through the msn alike client...

@KernelOverlord  One at a time.  Using DSL now.  Sweet.  Definately not used to it yet. Odd, keyboard seems to be function now.  Go figure.

It takes a bit of time to get used to it, but Linux has a place as does Windows they each fullfill a market.

If you like Mepis, and you obviously like Windows, Ill point you to the easiest Linux to use. (fully installs in 10 Mins, or runs from Live!!)

But Windows does have cool games n stuff!

@SiMoNsAyS I'll check that out and see the differences.

@KernelOverlord Sure, why not. I have so many free proggys (and I have donated to some) burned to disks and I bet I haven't looked at 1 in 20. I see them and think 'Oooo, need to check that out' (see my first comment?)

All this reminds me of the first lap-top computer I ever saw. Booted from a floppy and you had to install each program off a floppy as you wanted to use it. Turn the computer off and all was gone.

@albator 7 seconds. They don't have an emoticon giving the raspberry. You'll just have to imagine it. :yes:

<Wanders off to find 3.7 and Mepis>

only problem with linusx is its lack of security verses windows :P

ROFLOL thats funny - you cant use the words Windows and Secure in the same sentence unless its as a negative.

@ DaLurker, trying to get you a coupon code that will let you get it free. (assuming you want the install ISO)

@kC_ Maybe, but with a version that uses no HDD at all and you are just using it as a web-browser/word-processor/music station/ etc... then you can't beat that. And that leads to an odd thought. Windows that runs off a CD, nahhh.

@kC_  Maybe, but with a version that uses no HDD at all and you are just using it as a web-browser/word-processor/music station/ etc... then you can't beat that. And that leads to an odd thought.  Windows that runs off a CD, nahhh.

Geez wasnt he joking??? He must be, nobody can possibly believe that Win is more secure than Linux!! - can they?? :wacko:

DaLurker if you just want the Live ISO here it is - LRaiser

Scroll down and select 'Give a Tour of L' (its on the right side) - that will get you a coupon code to get the Live cd free. (its NOT a free distro its a commercial one, the install ISO is better - obviously)

@KernelOverlord

Thanks. I'll check it out.

I am going to find out if Linux is more secure or not. I have had a few viruses over the years in Windows. I'll do a comparison with Linux. :yes:

What is the big deal with networking? I have a router. It let's Me and my girlfriend use the internet simulataneously. Besides, if I were to network, I would only need an extra 2 or so Services going because there's only 2 PCs and not 2000.

I like the idea of all this "live off the CD-ROM" stuff for less space and full functionality but I like the user-friendlyness of Windows. I am so used to it. I'd rather have a completely slimmed down version of XP which nLite is striving to become. :D

@KernelOverlord I owe you a thanks. The Linux stuff is cool but I have been having a problem with my computer behaving oddly. I had installed a new HDD and the computer had been acting buggy. I thought the problem was a incompatibility. But in the test run with knoppix, I had similar problems but much more clear. So an incompatibility probably wasn't the problem. I hadn't intended to use Linux to that end but the behavior was so odd that I haven't been doing anything with Windows except accessing the web. The only thing I could think of that was any different was I had dusted out my tower. I went back and blew the case out again and concentrated on the PS/2 connections because everything that was odd could be done with the keyboard or mouse. So far no problems.

@Jeremy I owe you a thanks also for starting this thread 'Who Has The Cleanest/Most Organized System'. Obviously, I lose hands down. Now to work on the Organized part.

No thanks neccessary, there are hundreds if not thousands of distros out there - a great many of which are free (as in free beer). Dont be mistsaken into thinking all Linux is free its not there are some commercial distros there too. Most off all just try them out youll find a few that you particularly like, and theyre constantly changing and evolving. Try www.distrowatch.com

As for the Link to www.LRaiser.com - Linspire is currently working on their latest OS - this is truly going to be a wake up call - you may want to keep an eye out for it - ;)

Mods - sorry I know this thread went a bit off topic, youve been very patient, thanks B)

Jeremy, I have a question about your services. What is the point of having PDScheduler running as a manual service? How can you get PerfectDisk to defrag automatically if the scheduler is not running automatically?