RyanVM Windows XP SP2 Update Pack

ive not used nlite at all, i didn't even know what it was until someone said it might be that. one other thing, i did have it as a compilation disk e.g. my I386 folder is under X:\SETUP\WINXPPRO\I386 as apposed to X:\I386, could this matter? i will try and fish out an un SP2'd version of Windows and rebuild from scratch as I really would like to add this pack. Also would removing the NT/9X upgrade folders and LANG folder manually make a difference.

I appreciate that it isn't a problem with the update pack, but it is a problem when I use it on my copy. There must be some file/folder or structure that isn't what is expected.

I'll try later tonight, wish me luck! hehe

Regarding the use of nLite with Ryan's pack.. I think that is paramount that people understand that his update pack should go first in the list of hotfixes and that you should only use nLite w/ his pack on a virgin i386 source.  IMHO the best way is to take an XP source with no SP at all, integrate SP2 yourself, then use nLite.

Also, I never re-nLite something that's already been through the process once before.

@RogueSpear many will not have a gold copy of xp, most will a copy of xp with sp1 already intergreated. if you know how to get a hold of a gold version legally let us know.

RyanVM great work can't wait till the new release. take your time

@Famer that's why I said it was the "best" way. I don't think that there is anything technically wrong with using an SP1 source, but after integrating SP2 you will have about an extra 15MB or so of junk laying around.

I am pretty luck in that I convinced my main employer to go to XP as soon as it came out (I really wanted the Remote Desktop feature). I'm not a lawyer and I have not tried to decipher all of Microsoft's various EULAs, BUT it would seem to me that if you are fully licensed to be running XP in the first place, there shouldn't be a problem obtaining a copy of the Gold version. Just so long as you can use your own key code and properly activate each workstation.

Just a side comment. I'm actually in the unusual situation of having about 10 extra seats on my select license through workstation attrition. And nobody wants to sell me any computers without an XP Pro license or if they do, they charge the same amount anyway.

@paul3vanz

Again, BABY STEPS.

You should have started with JSUT AN XP CD. Not a multiboot or whatever you have. Checked to see if the XP CD worked, before progressing.

It's not a hard concept, and you can track where errors go wrong easier. Do you build a house complete it, and then go...."Why isn't the power working?" Do you build a complete computer system, and then go "Why is my processor burning up?"

@Alanoll

Yes your true about the house, but that is totally different, what i've done is like building a house, having all the gas, electricity and central heating all work ok, then i go and get air conditioning fitted and find that the air conditioning wasn't suitable for the type of wiring in my house.

i think that sounds appropriate, just about to leave for work so will read back later.

just upgraded my server so i probably won't try any more fixes until the weekend.

thanks for all your help folks.

Hi,

If it's not already enabled, tick on the "Use Passive FTP" option in the Internet Explorer Advanced settings.

I was having problems with the FTP download from Ryan's site until I enabled this option.

It might be to do with the FTP server being on a non-standard port.

Kind Regards

Simon Zerafa

Simon's PC Services

--

You probably need to enable passive mode for IE FTP transfers. It's in the Internet Options.
Hi,

If it's not already enabled, tick on the "Use Passive FTP" option in the Internet Explorer Advanced settings.

:whistle: