WPI_2.7_Final by the Brain & Gresh

ok, so i downloaded 2.9.5

i am trying to move all my files to run from CD (instead of waiting for everything to be copied over to HDD).

Here's my basic setup:

C:\XPCD

.....| i386

.....| Applications

.....| $OEM$

..........| Install

...............| WPI

However, I cannot test my installers anymore.  I thought I read (in this thread somewhere) that this setup would work, and WPI would install the apps from "XPCD" dir as if the whole "XPCD" dir was the root of the CD???

What's wrong?

The error message I always get is "Windows cannot find D:\...."

But why is it looking in D:\ (my CD-Rom drive)??? I thought it is supposed to look WHEREVER wpi is?

Is the Windows CD in the CDROM's tray ? If yes, remove it for testing purposes.

Searching for the %cdrom% path works the following way:

Get all the systems drive letters and their types (eg A=Floppy, C=Hdd, D=Cdrom, E=Cdrom, X=Network)

From these, take only Cdroms (D,E)

On the resulting drives, look for a file called WIN51 (D:\WIN51 if Windows-CD in drive)

If the file is found, then set %cdrom% = the resulting drive letter (%cdrom%=D:\), and exit

If not exited before, search the current directory for a file called WIN51

While WIN51 is NOT found, set current directory = parent directory and search again, until WIN51 is found or current directory=root directory.

If WIN51 is found then set %cdrom% = current directory (C:\XPCD in your case), and exit

If not exited before set %cdrom%=registry entry (HKLM\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Setup\\SourcePath)

end.

So please remove the cd from its tray and try again.

noooo...

the next post after the one you quoted explains that i figured it out...

but new question: I am having problems with photoshop7. The problem is, that RunOnceEx doesn't wait for Photoshop7 installation to finish before continuing to the next item on the list. I think the reason is that the "setup.exe" goes away (finishes) and calls the installer (???)

Anyway, the problem with this is that the entire process slows down because now I'm installing 2 programs at once (Photoshop7, and the next one on the list).

Does anyone know what to do about this?

FYI - I am using the ABCsy.ini method (setting everything to "NO").

Sorry, can't help you with that. Try the app switches forum. **** the guys at InstallShield Corp.

[EDIT]

@a06lp

It was such a nice question for the FAQ. Don't feel offended.

[/EDIT]

Edited by hasi001

but new question:  I am having problems with photoshop7.  The problem is, that RunOnceEx doesn't wait for Photoshop7 installation to finish before continuing to the next item on the list.

Sleep will make the whole program wait for a amount of milliseconds.

example:

cmd2[pn]=['sleep.exe /t:5'] (pause 5 sec)

Solution to Photoshop Problem:

i ended up using a "pause.cmd", containing:

@echo off
cmdow @ /HID
PING -n 100 127.0.0.1>nul
exit

works fine now. makes it wait 100 seconds.

--------------------------------------------------------

New Problem: WINAMP

Ok, so this problem started on my latest test build (using the installer from the CD, not the HDD).

When I try to install winamp, using the same code as before, (only changing %systemdrive% to %cdrom%), it no longer installs.

I've narrowed the problem to be that my code (below), for some reason, I can't use the %CDROM% variable after "INI=".

If i point it to %systemdrive%, and put the file in C:\, it works fine.

cmd1[pn]=['\"%cdrom%\\Applications\\winamp\\winamp505.msi\" INI=\"%systemdrive%\\winamp505.ini\" /qb']

But if i point it to %cdrom%, it won't work

cmd1[pn]=['\"%cdrom%\\Applications\\winamp\\winamp505.msi\" INI=\"%cdrom%\\Applications\\winamp\\winamp505.ini\" /qb']

this is the code i am using. whats wrong?? Why can't i use the %cdrom% parameter for my INI file???

prog[pn]=['Winamp 5.05']
desc[pn]=['Winamp is a very popular media player used to play MP3 files.']
cmd1[pn]=['\"%cdrom%\\Applications\\winamp\\winamp505.msi\" INI=\"%cdrom%\\Applications\\winamp\\winamp505.ini\" /qb']
cmd2[pn]=['XCOPY \"%cdrom%\\Applications\\winamp\\Winamp.ini\" \"%systemdrive%\\Program Files\\Winamp\\" /E /Y']
dflt[pn]=['no']
forc[pn]=['false']
cat[pn]=['<font color="FF9900">Audio</font>']
pn++

Is this a mistake on MY end? Or a problem with WPI? Or is it a parameter problem with winamp?

try

cmd1[pn]=['msiexec.exe /qb /i %cdrom%\\Applications\\Winamp\\Winamp505.msi INI="%cdrom%\\Applications\\Winamp\\setup.ini" ']

cmd2[pn]=['XCOPY %cdrom%\\Applications\\winamp\\Winamp.ini "%systemdrive%\\Program Files\\Winamp\\" /E /Y']

I see there are grave errors in the last version. Do not use it in production. Errors will be fixed withing a few hours. Sorry.

[EDIT]

Bugs fixed. New Version 2.9.7

[/EDIT]

Edited by hasi001

hi hasi001 tnx for your work on wpi i have a problem maybe u can help i'm use Version 2.9.7 it work ok but when i install the programs i dont see the name of the program thet i install like "Flash,Bsplayer,Media Player" all the program name 'ProgramName' can u help? thanks

try
cmd1[pn]=['msiexec.exe /qb /i %cdrom%\\Applications\\Winamp\\Winamp505.msi INI="%cdrom%\\Applications\\Winamp\\setup.ini" ']

cmd2[pn]=['XCOPY %cdrom%\\Applications\\winamp\\Winamp.ini "%systemdrive%\\Program Files\\Winamp\\" /E /Y']

Nope. Is it supposed to be possible to use the %cdrom% variable in the INI part?

Error 1720.  There is a problem with this Windows Installer package.  A required script for this install to complete could not be run.  Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

This happens with the code you posted, and also if i add backslashes before your quotes.

BTW, SIDE Q: how did you manage to use quotes without causing an error? Doesn't it have to be \", not just " ??

[edit]

oh, i'm still using 2.9.5 - does that matter?

[/edit]

Just started my WPI but i dont want to intergrate it into my unattended XPCD. I want to install the software i need after i install XP. So if i make WPI on a DVD will the following autorun.inf file work?

[AutoRun]
open=WPI.hta
icon=WPI.ico

I will modify it if the WPI.hta and WPI.ico are in a different folder than the autorun.inf file.

hi hasi001 tnx for your work on wpi i have a  problem maybe u can help i'm use Version 2.9.7 it work ok but when i install the programs i dont see the name of the program thet i install like "Flash,Bsplayer,Media Player" all the program name 'ProgramName' can u help? thanks

Sorry it's my fault. Fixed the wrong version on my hdd.

@all

Download 2.9.7a and move your progs from your old version to the delivered config.js (delete the sample entries)

Just started my WPI but i dont want to intergrate it into my unattended XPCD.  I want to install the software i need after i install XP.  So if i make WPI on a DVD will the following autorun.inf file work?

[AutoRun]
open=WPI.hta
icon=WPI.ico

I will modify it if the WPI.hta and WPI.ico are in a different folder than the autorun.inf file.

Yes. It should. But there must be a file called WIN51 in the dvd's root (it can even be an empty textfile, al long as it's called WIN51)

BTW, SIDE Q: how did you manage to use quotes without causing an error?  Doesn't it have to be \", not just " ??

In javascript doube quotes can be used inside single quotes (and vice versa) without using a backslash. So a

document.write('Hello "sweet" user')

would show up as

Hello "sweet" user

If you want to use backslashes you can. Won't matter.

oh, i'm still using 2.9.5 - does that matter?

Yes, that could be the reason. Please upgrade to 2.9.7a since there were many bugs in former versions.

Sorry it's my fault. Fixed the wrong version on my hdd.

@all

Download 2.9.7a and move your progs from your old version to the delivered config.js (delete the sample entries)

i Download 2.9.7a and move my progs from your old version but when i try to install it closed and nothing happen