Registry Tweaks

I need some help, I have created a program called Registry Tweakage.net which includes hundreds of reg tweaks. Im currently working on a new version which has lots of improvements and fixes but I need to understand a few tweaks I have no idea what they do, if someone could explain what they do much appreciated. Also if they are needed or just crap :)

; Fix DSO Exploit
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0]
"1004"=dword:00000003

; Remove Windows Alexa Spyware
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\{c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a}]

; Enable MP3 Encoding From Right-Click While Browsing
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Settings\MP3Encoding]
"LowRate"=dword:0000dac0
"MediumRate"=dword:0001f400
"MediumHighRate"=dword:0003e800
"HighRate"=dword:0004e200

; Mount Net-Drives First
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider]
"RestoreConnection"=dword:00000000

; Disable Spying By Websites
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\ProtocolDefaults]
"about"=dword:00000004

Whats the difference between these 2, I thought they would do similar thing?

; Launch IE Browser In Seperate Processes
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BrowseNewProcess]
"BrowseNewProcess"="Yes"

; Disable IE Windows From Being Re-Used
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"AllowWindowReuse"=dword:00000000

Hey,

Well.

Fix DSO Exploit:

http://www.pchell.com/support/dsoexploit.shtml

Remove Windows Alexa Spyware:

O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm

Its just the whats related button in internet explorer.

Well

;Enable MP3 Encoding From Right-Click While Browsing
"LowRate"=dword:0000dac0
"MediumRate"=dword:0001f400

Should be:

;Enable MP3 Format In Windows Media Player - Rip Music Tab - 128Kbps to 320Kbps
"LowRate"=dword:0001f400
"MediumRate"=dword:0002ee00

Mount Net-Drives First:

Windows uses Ghosted connections for when a user doesn’t need or want an actual connection until there is a need for the connection to be utilized. Once the user uses the connection, Windows NT/2000 will make the necessary connection. In some instances, this technique can cause problems; for example, there will be a delay the first time that an inactive, ghosted connection is used.

This generally fixes the delay issue.

Disable Spying By Websites:

http://www.mdgx.com/newtip22.htm#KIAU

Launch IE Browser In Seperate Processes:

http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/964/

Disable IE Windows From Being Re-Used:

http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/1006/

As you can see they are different.

Just wanted to say - When I use the reg tweak to change the CMD color defaults, for some odd reason I cant seem to use my backspace after applying this tweak. Its really weird because backspace works everywhere else, but delete still works

Just wanted to say - When I use the reg tweak to change the CMD color defaults, for some odd reason I cant seem to use my backspace after applying this tweak.

Are you applying the tweak during the installation of Windows, or afterwards on a fully-functional system? If during an uA install, at what point are you installing this tweak? I just tested this on my test system that tweaks the command prompt colour at the cmdlines.txt stage, and my backspace seems to work fine.

Additionally, I only modify the text colour, not the background, although I can't see how that would make much difference.

Your back-space issue and CMD colors may not be related to each other at all. Try checking if you apply something ELSE at the same time.

I apply both text color and window/title color in uA, and its fine. And on seeing your post, I tried doing it manually, and still its fine.

How do you guys remove the favourite folder from IE? Did Microsoft replace that with the Links folder?

As far as I understand it, the Links folder is a subfolder of the Favorites folder that is created to be set up as a seperate toolbar within IE. The Favorites folder itself, as far as I know, is simply a collection of Bookmarks for IE. I personally don't know of a way to remove it, although I do know where the links it contains are stored (%userprofile%\Favorites). Nor can I say I really understand why anyone would want to remove their bookmarks. I can only assume you have your reasons.

Best of luck with this, and please post back if you do find a solution as someone else may find it useful.

Yes Cartoonite thats right.

Anyways here is to remove links folder:

;Disable IE Links Bar

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbars\Restrictions]

"NoLinksBar"=dword:00000001

;Remove Links From Favorites

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar]

"LinksFolderName"=" "

It makes a empty folder that is not named. Just hide the folder. I do this way because some times when you open links the **** links bar appears and if u remove complely like most tweak sites say then the first folder in your fav. will appear instead. And in my case its huge. So this way its just "invisable" since its nameless. :)

I've converted some of the regTweaks, and now some of them won't work :(

This one in particulary:

reg >

; Add Device Manager To Right Click
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\DevMgr]
@="Apparaatbeheer"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\DevMgr\command]
@="mmc.exe %%SYSTEMDRIVE%%\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\devmgmt.msc"

inf >

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\DevMgr",,,"Device Manager"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\DevMgr\command",,,"%windir%mmc.exe %windir%\system32\devmgmt.msc"

If I execute the inf with that code, I get an acces denied error when I try to use it ...

@ PoloDude

HKLM,SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\DevMgr\command,,0x20000,"%windir%\system32\mmc.exe /s %windir%\system32\devmgmt.msc"

or

HKLM,SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\DevMgr\command,,,"%11%\mmc.exe /s %11%\devmgmt.msc"

The main problems being that the mmc executable is not in SystemRoot, there is a \ missing and if you are using environment variables, you will need to make your inf data type REG_EXPAND_SZ (0x00020000) This of course would mean that the REG code should also be in that format too i.e.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\DevMgr\command]

@=hex(2):25,77,69,6e,64,69,72,25,5c,73,79,73,74,65,6d,33,32,5c,6d,6d,63,2e,65,\

78,65,20,2f,73,20,25,77,69,6e,64,69,72,25,5c,73,79,73,74,65,6d,33,32,5c,64,\

65,76,6d,67,6d,74,2e,6d,73,63,00

Can someone help me why I get my computer shut down when I use 7zip or big program? Since I used registry it is happening like that.

From the sounds of things, you have accidentally implemented a registry tweak (or a set of tweaks) that cause this behaviour. Unfortunately, unless you know exactly what tweaks you made, there is little we can do to help you correct it.