Windows XP Re-loaded

prathapml

Towards the end of this year, when Windows XP’s latest update (Service Pack 2) is satisfactorily rolled-out we are going to see a media blitz. Looks like Microsoft favours letting a year or two roll-by, and getting a good service pack out of the door, before advertising in public media about their OS and office suites.

Preliminary speculation says that its going to be a package (XP integrated with SP2 + Windows Media Player 10) promoted as an OS different from what you knew WinXP to be. Its not a retail product - its not a new version of windows.

Most of the components that will form part of the XP reloaded campaign are out. Here's how to make for yourself the Windows XP Reloaded CD. This mini-guide is not anything new - this is just bringing together what was in different places.

You need:

1. Your Current licensed Windows XP CD (professional or home edition)

2. Service Pack 2 (download the appropriate version for your language)

3. Follow one of these guides to update your Windows XP install-source. (to install integrated with SP2 by default - saves on time, and gives you peace-of-mind)

The D-I-Y guide --OR-- detailed D-I-Y guide --OR-- Universal Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide.

4. Download the Windows Media Player 10.

5. Download the .NET framework 1.1 and the update for it (SP1).

6. Additional tools download and info for XP SP2.

Put it all in one place, and burn a CD. Enjoy having something that isn't even on the store shelves as yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Great guide, but if the EU get's there way, then M$ will release a striped down version without the WMP and all the "extras" for at least the EU market, which could also end up being the "Re-loaded" version. Since full details haven't been written in stone, I wouldn't really consider this a definative guide as of yet, but it does sound close to what I have heard as well. Though, I have also heard they will incorporate some of, (if not all of,) the Power Toys in it too. I for one wouldn't mind not having to incorporate Tweak-UI into my slipstream, having it already done for me. :) Though, I don't know about the rest of you, but the webcam timer-shot really comes in handy...NOT! :whistle:

Great guide, but if the EU get's there way, then M$ will release a striped down version without the WMP and all the "extras" for at least the EU market, which could also end up being the "Re-loaded" version.  Since full details haven't been written in stone, I wouldn't really consider this a definative guide as of yet, but it does sound close to what I have heard as well.  Though, I have also heard they will incorporate some of, (if not all of,) the Power Toys in it too.  I for one wouldn't mind not having to incorporate Tweak-UI into my slipstream, having it already done for me. :)  Though, I don't know about the rest of you, but the webcam timer-shot really comes in handy...NOT! :whistle:

I wouldn't mind seeing a WMP-less build of XP, myself. It fubars file associations so badly, it irritates me every time I have to see it.

@jassalmithu

Nothing is confirmed or "past development stage" as far as longhorn goes. And no, XP reloaded is not going to be different from XP by much - its just a marketing campaign, composed of what's said in first-post. There's going to be NO longhorn/longhorn-like contents.

@RyanVM

:hint: nLite :hint:

short and so true microsoft is M$

there is only 1 thing i don't understand if i buy a chair in the shop and one of the legs is broken i can bring back the chair.

But with microsoft you get a service pack.

just my opinion :whistle:

@jassalmithu

Nothing is confirmed or "past development stage" as far as longhorn goes. And no, XP reloaded is not going to be different from XP by much - its just a marketing campaign, composed of what's said in first-post. There's going to be NO longhorn/longhorn-like contents.

@RyanVM

:hint:  nLite  :hint:

Well to be honest, I'm still torn between fully integrating WMP10 into my install CD and removing WMP from it altogether :P

I like and use WMP9, but I don't like and wont use WMP10, if they continue down the DRM integration path, I will start using another format altogether and rip WMP from my system!!!

Sort of funny, because I install WiMP9 on my system (for completedness I suppose?) but I really despise it, I hate it with a passion. Worst and most useless player I've ever seen imho. Although 10 is ok to me (not like I'll use it - but it's not as bad). DRM is here to stay, with most companies, they intend to make money with selling contents on the web... DRM is actually gonna make it's way in more and more software over the years (just like it did in ZoomPlayer WMV Pro lately) or else they wonèt play the users' bought online stuff (which is becoming increasingly popular).

It's mostly a matter of preferences... (I don't like winamp for video either) There's tons of decent players out there for everyone (ZoomPlayer, BSPlayer, Media Player Classic, ...) I guess we just can't all pick the same