most annoying thing about microsft

sven

what the most annoying thing about microsoft in your opinion?

i really really hate how they remove the old downloasd for older versions of windows. im using i explorer 4.7, i got to windowsupdate.com and it tells me to upgrade to atleast 5.0 (why do you think i was going there). so i check the dowload site for iexplorer, and what do i find, only 6.0, not runing on win 95. its an infinite loops of crappy technology. once your stuck in it, you cant do anything on your computer. what really even more annoying, is that the program i went to update, i need to get to the update page. CURSE YOU MICROSOFT AND INTERNET EXPLORER

what the most annoying thing about microsoft in your opinion?

Lack of ability to go:

root nayuki# esync

root nayuki# emerge -puD world

## if Portage reports that newer versions exist after the sync:

root nayuki# emerge -uD world

## if Portage had reported that a new kernel had been released as well:

root nayuki# cd /usr/src/linux && make oldconfig && rm /boot/*2.6.8*  && rm /lib/modules/* -rf

root nayuki# cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-2.6.8-ck && cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.6.8-ck && cp .config /boot/config-2.6.8-ck

root nayuki# reboot

to make the entire system feeling nice and fresh after it updates things built from source :P

Joking. Seriously, though, it's the problem of when I *need* to reinstall - getting everything back into order. GNU/Linux, all I have to do is copy essential files in /etc and /home and start over, replace, settings intact. I really should look into ghosting. That, and the whole process of install/uninstall/reinstall-new-version/(reboots). Just un-natural for me, I suppose.

sven: Try here or here for a stand-alone installer of IE5.0. I haven't tried the links, so do take caution.

People who hate Microsoft are people who don't properly grasp the true concepts behind their software.

Microsoft has their flaws but they have many great strengths that no one else could match.

People who hate Microsoft are people who don't properly grasp the true concepts behind their software.

Microsoft has their flaws but they have many great strengths that no one else could match.

i couldnt agree more :)

i'm not sure about this, yes always it's necessary to progress and evolve in the software world so microsoft thinks "hey, just upgrade to a better product!"... but i remember when i had a dialup connection and if sven has one he had to download a BIG package only for the matter of an old software and updates are not available for him... i think there must be a solution at the middle of the path, dunno...

only thing i whish they would do away with the activation on their products. and less bug's

less bugs? what program made by anyone doesnt have bugs? microsoft products are amongst the best when it comes to stablity as are most products. i trust microsoft in everything they do as theres one question to be asked. Why should you worry? have you got something to hide

holy crap! you hit your head on the nail...or is it the nail on the head! :)

as long as there are enough people out there trying really hard to re-do what man has created they will be able to destroy it (I am talking reverse enginering of course). Just because they are they giants they are proned to the attacks and constant abuse of "EVIL-DO'ERS" (Bush's favorite line :wacko:). I bet that if Linux, firefox, etc was bigger then they would be prone to the attacks.

I guess we dont give MS enough credit since our minds are manipulated by the media! :unsure:

No i have nothing to hide i just like the old days of when M$ was more about the people and not the profits thats all. i have used M$ products dating back to when all you had was a black screen and not all these windows, i have no beef with them protecting the software,but there should be otherways to do it.as for the bug thing i know that all programs that are brought have bugs and will need (Service Packs) but you would think that a company with resources M$ has could write bug free Os.

@prathapml there will always be those who try to crack it.