Guide For Compressed Drivers Unattended Install

serialzs

@Lucius Snow

NO...

$OEM$\$1\Driverz is for copying file to %systemdrive%\DRIVERZ without extracting it...

$OEM$\Driverz is for my program that will extract compressed drivers

in %systemdrive%\DRIVERZ with the subdirectory...

So which one will work.. or which is best or fastest

Which one should I use??

I tryed

$OEM$\Driverz

when windows is install you get them black windows and you see it unpacking the drivers..

If I use the $OEM$\$1\Driverz will it still install my drivers.

@CrashUK

Use $OEM$\Driverz...

-=[serialzs]=-

Also can you tell the commands to move the c:\driverz\ to c:\windows\driversz

Once Windows has been installed

maybe rename it to DriverPack..

I know how to copy them but not how to move them.. I what to use move down to it being a lot faster..

i dont get it

didnt we conclude this issue

by saying windows doent look in the registry(atleast not in that location)

after gui starts only before that?

we tried entering the same info before gui starts and everything works

so

how can this thing work?(i wish it would but how)

If it only extracts them but windows does not see them, why not put the program under unattended and not GUIunattended so it starts before the gui? could this work or is the drivers not going to be uncompressed on the c: drive after that? We could also do 2 operations, one before gui starts with uncompressed drivers so windows sees them during install and another one during gui mode simply to get the files copied on the drive and extracted on the C: some people could even use this step to rename their driver files to DriverPack or copy them to c:\windows\DriverPack if they want to...

OR

I don't understant what file does what here, but if the files could simply get uncompressed, if we manually added them to OemPNPDriverPath or whatever the name and still save the MB. The only thing I don't know is how to uncompress them.

Ok so that operation is done before OemPNPDriversPath considers the updated files? That would be perfect. I would get the extracted 7zip files and windows would still consider them when he installs driver. Did you do something specific to make it work or simply followed the instructions like everyone else but added the OemPNPDriversPath back to winnt.sif?

Ok so that operation is done before OemPNPDriversPath considers the updated files?  That would be perfect.  I would get the extracted 7zip files and windows would still consider them when he installs driver.  Did you do something specific to make it work or simply followed the instructions like everyone else but added the OemPNPDriversPath back to winnt.sif?

Alright, here is my full method :

1/ First, i've followed serialzs' guide :

1. Compress all your drivers *.CAB files or *.7z files

(eg. VIDEO.CAB or SOUND.7Z means drivers for your components)

note: NO SAME NAME!!! it only overwrite the files if it already exist...

2. Put the Compressed Driver FILES inside the directory named ->$OEM$/Driverz

Example:

your CDROM letter is D:\ it must be like this D:/$OEM$/Driverz

Note: it's (Z) not (S)

3. Put the 3 files inside i386 folder then edit TXTSETUP.SIF

In TXTSETUP.SIF find [sourceDisksFiles]then add this 3 lines...

7za.exe = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0

Drvz.exe = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0

DevPath.exe = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0

4. Edit Winnt.SIF

[unattended]

DELETE => OemPnPDriversPath= (it is not needed anymore)

ADD => DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

ADD => NonDriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

[GuiUnattended]

DetachedProgram="%SystemRoot%\system32\DRVZ.EXE"

EXCEPT for that :

DELETE => OemPnPDriversPath= (it is not needed anymore)
I kept this line.

So i put my 7zip files in X:\$OEM$\Driverz (X: = you CD ROM letter drive). By the way you have to keep that exact structure otherwise it doesn't work (so forget this method for multiboot). Then the drivers got extracted into C:\Driverz (thanks to drvz.exe running before the drivers installation step of XP install).

Since serialzs' method never worked here for installing automaticaly the drivers during the install, i decided to keep using the traditionnal method with OemPNPDriversPath (that's why i still use its command line in winnt.sif).

Drvz.exe creates a subfolder in C:\Driverz named by the 7zip file archive. For example, if in \$OEM$\Driverz you have SND.7z, then you'll get C:\Driverz\SND created. So when you create your 7z archives, don't compress the folder SND for example otherwise you'll get C:\Driverz\SND\SND. Instead, just select in 7zip software all the subfolders and then create your archive with the name SND.7z. See the captures below.

7zip-1.jpg

7zip-2.jpg

So now, the last step is to enter the paths in OemPNPDriversPath. Still with the SND example, that'll be that :

OemPnPDriversPath="Driverz\SND\A;Driverz\SND\C;Driverz\SND\CR;Driverz\SND\CR\L;Driverz\SND\N;Driverz\SND\R;Driverz\SND\S;Driverz\SND\T\A;Driverz\SND\T\D;Driverz\SND\V\E;Driverz\SND\V\V"

I tested this method on 3 PC yersterday, it worked great on all of them. By the way, i didn't get prompted for the WHQL alert. It ignored them.

Inconvenient : i still have to use the OemPNPDriversPath method :}

Advantage : great gain of space by compressing the drivers in 7zip format.

GREAT JOB LUCIUS!!! :w00t:

gonna test it right now and post back in a day since I'll also try the nLite 98.8 tu get rid of a SCSI error while installing Daemon Tools. But I don't want to use his included driver integration cause it's a new feature and maybe still have bugs.

I keep fingers crossed but I'm confident it'll work perfectly :thumbup

GREAT JOB LUCIUS!!! :w00t:

gonna test it right now and post back in a day since I'll also try the nLite 98.8 tu get rid of a SCSI error while installing Daemon Tools.  But I don't want to use his included driver integration cause it's a new feature and maybe still have bugs.

I keep fingers crossed but I'm confident it'll work perfectly  :thumbup

Cheers. Let us know how it goes.

Just wondering, would there be a way to also compress the $OEM$\$1\Install\Applications\ folder so all our apps would take less place on the cd but could still be ran afterward using normal batch files in the last [] section of winnt.sif (I got a very bad memory for names) but you get my point I guess... The only thing to change would be the Driverz folder, lets call it Appz ;)

i saw many ppl extract 7zip sfx with /Q /R:N, there's no such a argument for 7zip sfx, verify with any 7zip console sfx with any7zsfx.exe -?.

@serialzs

How you test your drvz? VPC? VMWare? or real box?

Pyron's setDevicePath.exe works great on his guide, but it's different @T-39. The setup program didn't refer to HKLM\....\DevicePath, i don't know why, it's been confirmed about 2 weeks ago with my friend's script here - MT39 thread.

Testing on VMware with VMWare's video driver, almost the same as turbomcp's post.

The Detached.cmd script comes from zippy, it's a script version of setDevicePath.exe. It extracts drivers & $OEM$\$$ & $1 sfx, modifies the regTweak and $winnt$.inf(compiled from winnt.sif by setup).

Anyone who interested can test that Detached.cmd, take a look at the resulting log file %SystemDrive%\Detached.log.

OemPnPDriversPath still a must have.

i still use that Detached.cmd on my disc, tho the OemPnPDriversPath still needed but it does no harm to include that script, i compress all my $OEM$\$$, $1, $Docs, $Progs and extract @T-39 even with OemPreinstall=No(no copy @textmode, everything on disc).