Heating Problem!

The Savage

I'm having problems with heat.... My CPU used to be a reasonable 35°C in Windows.... Atleast that whas last summer. Today that's !! 45°C !! if I play games longer than 1 hour my cpu gets above 60°C and shuts down. :) Even my PSU get's overheated !!!

What I don't get is WHY... I'm running games and software no different than last year, except I've added 2s-ata hdd's (raid).

I fear that I am not able to use my pc in the summer because of this problem... because the heat outside is yet to come. (in my room temp. can get 36°C at easy)

Any tips/hints/solutions/idea's ???

Buying a watercooling is my last resort... hope it's not needed (money problems :rolleyes:)

Software is not the problem... neither is the airflow...

Asus P4G8X-DeLuxe

Intel Pentium 4 2,4gHz (not oc'd)

Zalman CPU Cooling with airduct

Corsair 2x512MB DDR-DIMM (not oc'd)

nVidia GeForce4 TI 4200 8xAGP (not oc'd)

{1x80GB + 1x120GB WD HDD}

{2x160GB (raid) ) Hitachi HDD's}

Thermaltake XaserIII -> (airflow is very good)

current running software:

Windows XP Professional SP1

Zone Alarm Pro

MSN Messenger

Winamp

Belkin Nostromo Gamepad Util

Speedfan

2xNetwork connection 100Mbps

i've got the same problem :) in winter my CPU it's in idle at 33º/36º. the problem it's that here in spain and particularly in my location yesterday we got a record: ambient 44º and a personal record: CPU reached 54º while playing (volcano 12+ at full RMPs!!). i think u can solve your problem, first if it was from last year to current open your case and clean of dust fan arounds and wholes to make sure you have an optimal air circuit. if that not solve the problem buy 2 8cm fans and use them in your HDs (probably 2 nearer HD can overheat the case temp). another time if that not solve the problem try reverting your fans from out-air to in-air or check combinations of them (that gave me -5º). and finally if u don't want to spend more money than the necessary or do not want to use watercooling try to buy a CPU fan with a potenciometer/regulator so you can play with RPMS and ambient temperature. i hope this help

That's not the problem, dust filters are clean, and the airflow is correct... !!

Doesn't anyone has a good idea what could be the matter??

Buying a watercooling is my last resort... but IT JUST SHOULD NOT BE NESSESARY !!

plz reply.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at your spec, and the overheating Problem. I would suggest your PSU is not man enough for the job - or its on the way out.

That would be my first guess - especially if the PSU is getting hot. The other way to prove this, is to remove the new HDD's and run the machine to see what happens.

The only other thing that comes to mind, do you have any fan contollers?

If you have a temperature and speed gauge on there, it would tell you what was getting too hot first (providing its got more than 1 temp sensor.

Hope this is of some help.

:)

This may sound simplistic, but it's often overlooked - Have you moved your PC lately? Is it stuck in a corner or close to a wall? If the air flow around the pc is stagnant, then it's going to get hot.

gotta love the simplistic answers...

When complained one day around my mother about my computer being over 40 degrees, and she has no idea about computers and she just said "have you tried moving it away from the wall?" sure enough, it went down about 4 degrees by moving it about 1.5 inches from the wall.

This may sound simplistic, but it's often overlooked - Have you moved your PC lately? Is it stuck in a corner or close to a wall? If the air flow around the pc is stagnant, then it's going to get hot.

gotta love the simplistic answers...

When complained one day around my mother about my computer being over 40 degrees, and she has no idea about computers and she just said "have you tried moving it away from the wall?" sure enough, it went down about 4 degrees by moving it about 1.5 inches from the wall.

Mum's eh? ya cannot beat them!!

All the above seems reasonable suggestions to me.

Sometimes the temperature sensor chip gives a great pain. Try touching the heatsink at different temperatures to know if the temp is being reported correctly or not. Another idea may be that an HDD ribbon cable may be covering the CPU fan.

The problem must be managed as is. Water cooling is only an escape. Try research on your system.