Create a ramdisk with my own settings?

neo_3333

Can someone please me tell how the ramdisk prog found in the Win 98 boot disk or in others works ?

What option are there and how can I create a ramdisk with my own settings ?

Is there a better way of creating ramdisk ? (ie. a program ?)

• 3 weeks later...

It is easy to create a RAM disk, but why do you want to? windows has a memory manager.

Ram disk is only used in dos to create a temp drive. i.e. when you install 98. Its just used to store some files to enable you to setup the hard drive before loading the OS because running format (for example) from a floppy takes ages.

RAMDISK also uses the extended memory in the pc, thus, you will have a decreased extended memory size for the rest of your programs to use. althought this may not be a problem if you have 1Gb of memory!

Hope this helps you decide...

If not Post why you want a ramdisk.... :)

• 4 weeks later...

I can't believe you're saying such a thing. :)

The win98 boot-disk is 1.2 MB, and that's all the memory you need to use (if on RAMdisk). So there's no way you don't have sufficient RAM (unless you have the Zilog-25). :rolleyes: Or have I mis-understood what you said?

Just make it use a bootable RAMdisk, or otherwise, edit the ebdboot.cab (or what was it?) which is actually what gets loaded as a RAMdisk into memory.

Hoping this helps...

I can't believe you're saying such a thing. :)

The win98 boot-disk is 1.2 MB, and that's all the memory you need to use (if on RAMdisk). So there's no way you don't have sufficient RAM (unless you have the Zilog-25). :rolleyes: Or have I mis-understood what you said?

Just make it use a bootable RAMdisk, or otherwise, edit the ebdboot.cab (or what was it?) which is actually what gets loaded as a RAMdisk into memory.

Hoping this helps...

Its ebd.cab! :D I usually use Windows PE, but mine doesn't have the format utility for some reason! :D

• 5 weeks later...

A ramdisk is useful, since in some situations, you don't want to write to the hard disk.

The one i prefer is to use XMSDSK.EXE, which can load from the command prompt with a settable letter. I normally set the letter high, just below the cdroms (eg r:), and cdroms at s:, etc.

Once you do this, you don't have to play the silly game with findrd or findcd: they're set.

Also, setting the cdrom to s:/ and using a ramdrive is useful even under a normal situation, since you can do lots of writes without worrying about defrags. I compile my web pages to the ram drive.

No amount of memory or caching is going to solve being able to write files to somewhere: a ram drive does just that.

W