Vmware or Virtual PC

That doesn't sound like a normal length of time to me, Pauly. It usually takes about 45 minutes from start to finish for an Unattended Install on my VPC2004. I have a fast machine, but I can't imagine it makes THAT big of a time difference!!! Have you tried it on an actual macine to see if it takes a long time there as well? Sometimes if you don't get a good burn, it will work but it will take forever in some parts. Check and see if it is hanging somewhere that has feedback such as the copying phase, etc. where it shows what it is doing. On a bad burn, I have seen it paus on one file and just sit there forever before finally moving on. Another burn fixed the problem. Also, if you have a corrupted file, it can cause problems as well, but usually it will just come up and tell you it can't read the file from the disk and let you skip it and go on. I had this problem when using XPCreate and it put in a bunch of fonts that looked liked for foreign languages in the files list, but they weren't on my CD because I had used nLite to trim out all languages other than English. (I know - arrogant American, but since I only speak and write in one language, no sense in having all the others! :))

VMware:thumbup , but ......

This was the first Virtual Machine that a friend recomended to me. It was first love. Having the possibility to test different OS and apps without any concern about my real Win install was something owsome.

Though I use Vmware just for 5 months I simply like it. Never used VPC :unsure:

PS: After upgrading to the last version and seeing that virtual network drivers and services craps anoyed me a little, but that's it ... i dissabled all and continue to use VMware

Lets wait for Virtual PC 7

Microsoft's Virtual PC 7, which will include Windows XP in the box, is now scheduled for a release to manufacturing in September and public debut in early October. VPC 7 was originally delayed until late summer while Microsoft completed work on Service Pack 2 for Windows XP, ensuring users a secure Windows experience. Now customers will have to wait even longer due to problems in the development of SP2, which is currently set for a September release.

source: betanews

i just tried VMWare and the whole install took around 30-45 minutes..

i really dont know what the deal was with VPC but i know im not gonna use it from now on.

i dont really care about it installing more stuff becasue its just to test my unattended XP cd so i can reformat everything when everything works fine

installation of vmware took 45mins? or installation of the OS took 45 mins?

installation of vmware takes about 3 mins usually

& installation of a guest OS takes me about 20 mins, depending on what u have installed on your cd u are testing

lol

the installation of the OS + tweaks + 3rdparty apps took 30-45 minutes with VMWare while with VPC it was still at stage T16 after 3h+

the installation of either VMWare or VPC took a minute

I am using VPC2004 to test my own edition of unattended CD. It seems to take 1.5 hours to complete the whole installation on my P4 3.0 with 1GB RAM computer.

After I try the VMware 4.6. I find out the VMwave is A LOT FASTER the VPC2004. So, I would said I like VMware...... :hello:

I have been trying to use Conectix Virtual PC 5.2 and MS Virtual PC 2004 (=5.3), but with 5.2 I get a blue screen after the partitioning part in XP-setup (STOP something). With 2004 I try to use my unattended XP DVD (2.2GB), but Virtual PC cannot use DVD-images :( It only gives me this error: CD image files must be greater than 2MB and a multiple of 2K in size. It seems to work though with mounting my .iso with Alcohol 120% virtual cd/dvd and then using that drive in Virtual PC 2004 indirectly. It would have been neater and perhaps faster to do it directly in 2004.

Anyone got a dvd iso mounted in vpc 2004? Is that possible with VMWare? I prefer VPC since I don't like the VMWare services and network additions all over the computer.

If one wants to install both VPC 2004 and VMWare, in which order should you install it to get the network correctly setup in both virtual machines?