Vmware or Virtual PC

Gotta hand it to you Datalore, nail on the head. I started to reply to this earlier, then I quit. What I wanted to say, was that it was a shame that it had to leave it's tracks all over the **** place, because it is faster than VPC, and does have a few options that I like. But unobtrusive integration is my highest criteria for software acceptence. VMWare didn't last more than a couple days on my box ...

(I always have a spare machine or two on hand, and a monitor/mouse/keyboard switch with spare ports, but I do like the convienience of having my test installs on my desktop.)

VirtualPC.

Why? VMWare attacks your OS and integrates itself everywhere. Who said I wanted 3 new "virtual" network cards installed? Why is it running 3 processes when the program isn't even open?  Why does it have to mess with internal settings?

true it does add a lot of stuff, but you can remove the network adapters, and disable the services. When it takes VPC 30 mins to show display properties (happened at a demo for .NET I went to) thats when you have to draw the line.

VirtualPC.

Why? VMWare attacks your OS and integrates itself everywhere. Who said I wanted 3 new "virtual" network cards installed? Why is it running 3 processes when the program isn't even open? Why does it have to mess with internal settings?

i just set the services to manual, then when i wanna run them and use internet, i just double click on the batch file i made, but i do agree that it does add itself everywhere :)

• 1 month later...

I also used VPC for a long time, but something happen and it wouldn't open. I needed to test my image out so I downloaded and install VMWare. It was a lot faster and just overall a nicer experience to work with. As I am not quite so techy, I didn't notice all of the "extra" stuff that is installed :). Guess I am going to have to look at that now, but I won't be going back to VPC.

]Bonkers[

2 days to install winxp on a 2.4gb PC with 128mb dedicated in VPC... just to save me from burning ISOs to CD for testing...

Sorry, but a spindle of blanks is better than 2 days of my life going, "what the **** is taking it so long"

2 days whoa ...

takes me 35mins, & i have about 30 programs installing too + all my regtweaks & updates.. ive found they(vmware & vpc) both install about the same time, but while in windows vmware seems faster :)

ps: my pc is only an amd 1600 (1.4GHz)

regards

Well, you could speed up the access times in both if you wanted to, if you actually created the disk image. Both of them by default create a dynamic file. If you had set to create itself right then and there, it would be alot faster. May take a few minutes in settings, but after taht......

VMware all the way!

VMware beats VPC hollow on the speed front. On my (pretty fast machine for today, I admit) PC, VMware (v4.5.2) is atleast 3x faster. Although it puts hooks into the OS in various places, I'm okay with it - those are for extra functionality.

1. Also, I've been using vmware since the days of v2.0 - that was 6 years ago when it was the pioneer of virtual computing (for win32 & linux platforms) - so I guess there's some loyalty involved. In those days, it didn't have all the features that you people seem to dis-like - but for me, those are value-additions.

2. I also need to mention that when you have paid for an app, added functionality/features/stability is a plus-point - unlike those who are just trying out various apps in the category, and complain about an *EXCESS* of capability.

3. VMware supports almost all OSes as guests. Also, vmware for linux is available. That makes it doubly attractive for me, since I can just copy over the directory that contains my installed VM to my linux partition - and be sure that it is portable and will simply run as always, without fuss.

I've used VPC2k4, but it falls short on:

1. Speed of operation of guest OS.

2. control over your guest OS.

3. resource-sharing features.

4. Ability to create a virtual network composed of VMs.

Most of all, it's UI looks very sparse (which may be an advantage to newbies, but for how long are you a newbie?). If you are an advanced user, and like to fiddle around with things, you'd get get bored pretty quickly with it.

• 2 weeks later...

As it turns out, I discovered I have MS Virutal PC2004 (part of the action pak). I have not tried it yet since I have been enjoying my VMWare trial period.

Is it worth the switch? Its already paid for. I like VM but I do hate that it is all over my PC. What is involved in disabling it for periods where I wont be using VM?

Hmmmm, I haven't noticed VPC being too much of a dog. I basically just use it for testing. Also, sometimes you go to sites that insist on installing something. VPC lets you run in a mode that tracks all changes made in a session. When you go to shut down that VM, it asks if you want to keep the changes. If you say no, the next time you start your VM, it is as it was before you did anything to it.

Of course, having an AMD64 with 1GB RAM and a 200GB SATA drive may mask some things, but even on my old system (AMD Athlon XP 2600+ Barton w/ 512MB RAM and 120 GB HDD) it didn't seem to be much of a problem.

Well...... I was gonna say VMWare, but you guys are totally right about VM installing all this (to me) useless crap! :D

I don't need a virtual network, though I see it's obvious advantages... Just that it would be nice to ask during setup "Would you like even more services on your Windows box, that make it even more bloated than it already is?"

It's not that I don't like VMWare, and I will continue to use it, but for a control-freak, I'd almost give the advice to use Virtual PC.

Then again, VMWare is a lot faster. And the impression it gives is just more stable / professional. Just my opinion, so don't start and flame me on that one :D

Overall, it would be nice if VMWare was a bit more subtle in infiltrating your system, but I still like it :rolleyes:

Edit: What's that "Junior Member" thing under my pic? Related to my age or the time I've been a member? Can't seem to change it on myself, so how come I've already seen at least 20 different descriptions? Did the admins/mods do that?

Nevermind, I found out myself... Doh! It's just general descriptions, and only the realllllllly "big" members get their own descriptions. Sorry :)

i'm using VPC 2004 right now to test my image of unattended XP and i must say it takes forever (been installing for 3 hours and still only at T16)

is it normal it takes so long ??

im gonna try VMWare