the new PC

FthrJACK

I've got a stock fan & heatsink on my ATI Radeon 8500 LE, 128mb DDR, I was wondering, what would getting that Tt fan really do for my card if I was just using it normally and not overclocking it? :)

I've got a stock fan & heatsink on my ATI Radeon 8500 LE, 128mb DDR, I was wondering, what would getting that Tt fan really do for my card if I was just using it normally and not overclocking it? :)

you benefit from a longer lasting fan!

the ati fan is a bit small and plasticy isnt it, the blue orb i stuck on is much beter quality, and much faster and obviously bigger. it will last longer, and make my card last longer, and keep it at a more reasonable temp. i expect with a card like you have, your a gamer, so when you are playing away on something like SOF2 for hours on end and your GPU is getting hot wonder if it was 5'c cooler would you get beter FPS? not sure myself on that, ill run FRAPS (fps app, thanx blackwar for passing it on) and watch it in SOF2 if im playing for a long time, i usually get 100 FPS when the card is running at default settings, the FPS doesent move at all, solid 100fps no matter what happens in the game, so ill have a good idea how the heat affects it after a long period.

• 2 weeks later...

Real nice looking machine.I like the idea of the round cables(better air flow).The wire braid looks good too.Why couldn't you put a bigger fan on the graphics board instead of stripping off the base and replacing that also?Any way you've done a proffessional job,good luck.

BAH, looks nice :rolleyes:

few things tho.. it wouldnt matter if you coated the whole card in the arctic silver adhesive, its totally non conductive, once set its a bit like the pvc they make clothing from, i also tested it with a meter just to be sure.

i covered the whole of my ram chips with it as i wasnt bothered about it getting over the sides, a tiny bit did on one chip but it matters not anyway.

another tip if anyone does this, apply a layer of adhesive to both surfaces. it helps fill out any air gaps and gives a beter "footprint". if you put the glue on one surface and push them together, then take it off the glue doesent cover the contact area properly, or you will notice parts where the glue and opposite surface didnt meet very well, putting it on both sides is much beter.

i like how you put the sensor lead onto the graphics card.. i might do that as mines not doing anything right now. :)

I did the same with my old Geforce 2 MX 400 card, the crappy old fan just croaked one day and I was stuck so I picked up a Crystal Orb fan and stuck it on. They work like a treat and run very smooth, so Im thinking of putting it on my mobo to replace my northbridge fan which is starting to make some annoying noises