"INACESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" error after installing on NVMe SSD in Windows 8.1

johnelmer227

Hello guys i'm just back here from since past months anyway i was trying to install an Windows 8.1 on Acer Swift 3 with NVMe SSD until spinning loop at boot and i getting BSOD error. Anyone knows to fix this probably drivers missing on it.

Sorry i no have proof because BSOD was too fast to restart itself.

2 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

At what point exactly does the bugcheck occur?

Uhm... I deleted "intelpep.sys" causes of bluescreen when it has in this file. After deleted this "intelpep.sys" file when it showing as "Inacessible boot device" without an code. No one booted yet not showing as "Getting device ready" and turned to blue screen. In hdd was booted fine but ssd didn't...

Edited by johnelmer227

17 hours ago, johnelmer227 said:

Uhm... I deleted "intelpep.sys" causes of bluescreen when it has in this file. After deleted this "intelpep.sys" file when it showing as "Inacessible boot device" without an code. No one booted yet not showing as "Getting device ready" and turned to blue screen. In hdd was booted fine but ssd didn't...

Deleting a system file is not a good idea.  You may need to reformat and reinstall.

3 hours ago, mshultz said:

Deleting a system file is not a good idea.  You may need to reformat and reinstall.

No, there was a fix suggested by @Jakob99

"Navigate it to C:\Windows\System32\drivers. Inside here, find a file named IntelPEP.sys and delete this."

https://msfn.org/board/topic/184348-solved-windows-81-on-swift-3-kaby-lake-failed-and-blue-screen/?do=findComment&comment=1238073

Perhaps he was trying to achieve something from there, looks like we have to wait for the precise description.

On 12/6/2023 at 8:13 PM, D.Draker said:

All I want to say, we need to know which error you're getting, for example "error code 0x00001020", like in the post above.

I think it is... But sadly i didn't get an error code I heard in YouTube that someone running an Windows 8.1 on Tiger Lake which as modern laptop with NVME and he did boot successfully by modified ISO and pre-installing drivers by NTLite. But idk which NVMe support had for Kaby Lake it seems i'm gonna prefer install with HDD as slower...

Edited by johnelmer227

5 hours ago, D.Draker said:

I think that "intelpep.sys" file on Windows 8.1 is not compatible for Kaby Lake which is designed for older Intel chipsets. In Windows 10 had "intelpep.sys" file and it's boot fined.

21 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

Provide a step by step of what you did so we can understand where exactly you are experiencing the problem.

Okay so here are:

- First time was i boot setup USB and formatting an NVMe SSD and installing on it.

- After that in first time boot of Windows 8.1 and causes for Blue screen called "INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR" and being restarted fast.

- Until i booted back again to Setup and pressing an Shift + Fn + F10 to open an cmd. As i typed command as "notepad"

- Then i was pressing an File -> Open and i finding an "intelpep.sys" file to deleting it for solution with "INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR" code and i found it into "C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\intelpep.sys" and deleted with an opening notepad file

- And after deletion an "intelpep.sys" and it was success by Notepad. Until I'm trying to restart with exiting setup.

- After this now it was boot with spinning logo without an Blue screen in first time. But later i got another causes an Blue screen called "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" it was almost getting "Getting devices ready" text and i had blue screen and restarted again.

This is happens in Windows 8.1 with an SSD installed!

Edited by johnelmer227

At this point your installation is not a normal one, rather it is damaged since you deleted a file from the OS. My recommendation is to put back the file you deleted as your first step and then look at the original issue, presuming it returns.

In case it matters: post the full model number of the Swift and of the NVMe.

For Windows 8.1 and NVMe, the system should be set to UEFI. I read on some Swift 3 that they are default like this, but then read in other places that it can be changed to Legacy.

IntelPEP.sys must be deleted, otherwise the BSOD will keep happening. Updating the OS will cause the file, and thus, the BSOD to return, but it can be fixed again by simply deleting the file again. The INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE BSOD that you are getting could be the result of the drive mode. Most newer Intel laptop's default to VMD mode, which is only compatible with Windows 10 and 11. You will need to pop open the BIOS and switch it from VMD to SATA mode. This will fix the BSOD, although, how you got 8.1 to detect and install to the drive (if it's set to VMD mode), I do not know. Maybe it's not set to VMD mode. Who knows.

I read it could be due to the newer BIOS version. Earlier ones could do just fine with the trick, those newly updated versions of BIOS, no. If all fails, maybe try to rollback the BIOS to an older one. Only do that if you're sure you know how to work with BIOS flashing.

@Jakob99

boot to w10

download Phison NVMe driver v1.5.0.0 (usually not necessary on anything >8.1) 

format  w8.1 partition

install 8.1  using WinNTSetup and select driver folder

rename intelpep and intelppm both .inf and .sys before reboot (can be found on c:\Windows\INF\  and c:\Windows\System32\Drivers)

something similar happened to me with Windows 10 beta versions (pre-RTM) and I ended always installing using WinNTSetup 

__

I just remembered that I deleted the inf and drivers folders and replaced them with the ones from boot.wim and tried copying files from install.wim just to finally discover intelppm and intelpep causes BSODs back in the day

So, if you can boot to Windows PE 6.3, try SHIFT + 10 and run notepad then check if you can see your SSD, if isn't there search HWID and driver and try with WinNTSetup

This way you'll know if it's a driver problem

If you have installed your Windows using the live usb method e.g. rufus, ventoy... the OS boots to your hardware

Edited by sonyu