Vista on Ryzen - vista might like bluescreens wayy too much

Aiek

I've been experiencing issues ever since I started using Vista on my Ryzen 7 3700X X470 system, and it hasn't stopped. Let's say I'm just minding my own business, then out of nowhere, BOOM! IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, BAD_POOL_HEADER, etc., blue screens.

I've checked every forum thread with people having the exact same problem as me, and apparently, there is no fix for it. You just have to deal with these stupid blue screens UNLESS you decide to buy a PS/2 mouse and keyboard and disable the USB controller in Vista. While this isn't what I wanted to happen, it seems like it is my last resort (unless someone finds a patch for this Ryzen-specific problem).

I've tried running Vista with:
- No updates, still bluescreens
- All 2017 updates with/without the extended kernel, still bluescreens
- All 2017 updates + Server 2008 2020 updates with/without the extended kernel, still bluescreens

Everything I do seems to break it even more. Okay, now let's just get to the question. So, do I really have to buy a PS/2 mouse and a Y PS/2 splitter (since I only have 1 PS/2 port on my motherboard), or is there some sort of PATCH for this (which there probably isn't)? Realistically, I'm gonna be fine even without the patch. I'm just gonna continue maining Windows 7 (going strong for the most part, although the fact that there is no sort of extended kernel kinda sucks).

Untitled.png

Oh, and I'm not aware of fully functional USB3.1 drivers, all of that I had tried here had issues, various issues, You'd better buy a dedicated USB card that supports Vista. Splitters may or may not work.

11 hours ago, Dixel said:

What is your Vista? 32 or 64bit? 64bit won't work with anything starting with Haswell normally, not only due to USB3.1 issue. There was a post claiming RTM to be more stable.

of course im running 64 bit (im mentally sane, also who the HELL would run 32 bit? thats like shooting yourself in the foot)

11 hours ago, Dixel said:

Oh, and I'm not aware of fully functional USB3.1 drivers, all of that I had tried here had issues, various issues, You'd better buy a dedicated USB card that supports Vista. Splitters may or may not work.

well im gonna fully disable the usb controller so there is no point in doing that

Edited by Aiek

3 hours ago, Aiek said:

of course im running 64 bit (im mentally sane, also who the HELL would run 32 bit? thats like shooting yourself in the foot)

I run 32-bit Vista Sp1 on a Haswell machine, I'd gladly run 64-bit, but alas, so: according to you it makes me mentally insane, wow.

4 hours ago, Aiek said:

well im gonna fully disable the usb controller so there is no point in doing that

Yes, do that, then buy a dedicated PCI_E usb converter (a small board) that has official drivers for USB3 for Vista. Despite my "mental insanity" it works pretty well with my Haswell mobo. I have 100% working USB3.1 ports.

1 hour ago, Dixel said:

so: according to you it makes me mentally insane, wow.

that was rhetorical.. :)

anyways, i might be considering getting vista 32 bit but heres the problem; i wont be able to do anything fun. Although vista 64 bluescreens me, i was able to install modern stuff such as ungoogled chromium (and supermium), play a few old roblox revivals (2019L roblox client and up are windows 7+ unless you do some hex editing) and most importantly, i cannot play minecraft 1.16+, and in general ill be stuck on really old versions of stuff that i use on a daily basis (did i even mention coding?? how do i code if i have no modern ide?? istg the extended kernel is a life saver)

welp... guess ill try 64 vista, and i might buy that usb board thingy if you give me the amazon and driver link, other than that, ill probably stay on windows 7 and fedora linux for the time being... (the support on 7 will forever be nicer than on vista, you cant even run rufus 3.22 on vista!)

Edited by Aiek

17 hours ago, Aiek said:

you cant even run rufus 3.22 on vista!

You can! I think @UCyborgported rufus to Vista, I'm sorry, I don't remember which version exactly as I don't use it, but I tried out of curiosity and it worked. Ask him for the links.

Chip  NEC D720200AF1 has certified Dell Vista drivers.

Supported Operating Systems

Windows Vista, 32-bit

Windows Vista, 64-bit

Windows XP

Windows XP, 64-bit

Don't worry about the Dutch language link, it will switch to yours automatically (it depends on the location).

https://www.dell.com/support/home/nl-nl/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=36x7d

3 hours ago, Dixel said:

I think @UCyborgported rufus to Vista, I'm sorry, I don't remember which version exactly as I don't use it

It was 3.5.1433, I'm sure those patches alone no longer apply.

Edited by UCyborg