Should I get a GTX 1080ti or a GTX Titan X Pascal for vista?

Aiek

On 11/20/2023 at 4:51 AM, Aiek said:

my old 980ti isnt functional anymore

What happened, what are the symptoms? If it can still load its driver without crashing (you can boot all the way to a desktop, but it crashes under load), you could try downclocking it with either Afterburner (as simple as dragging sliders to the left -- not permanent), or Maxwell BIOS Tweaker (sticks until you reflash the vBIOS). Stability will improve at the expense of performance. 

@D.Draker:

Tried your driver, but probably screwed something up. Edited the .inf file, patched the nvlddmkm.sy_ (verified that the changes took by searching for modded strings), and when the driver installed (didn't sign the driver, got the unsigned warning, boot integrity checking was already disabled), i lost Aero & got the "you must reboot" warning. Yellow exclamation mark (driver missing or corrupt) in device manager on reboot. This was a while back, could've been due to omissions/mistakes I made, maybe some HW conflicts (this was on a X58 board with a Westmere chip), most likely user error. 

18 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Hi! The title is wrong, no such thing as "GTX Titan X Pascal" exists, however, there's GTX Titan XP,

hello! I was referring to the titan x from 2016, it is inferior to the gtx titan xp (i dont even know if the gtx titan xp works on vista with modded drivers, and even if lets say it does i dont want it to be exactly like the gt 1030 in terms of support on vista, i dont wanna use 1000 patches just to run a game)
heres a list of all the titan gpus that exist:

Nvidia Titan is a series of video cards developed by Nvidia including:

GTX Titan, released in 2013

GTX Titan Black, released in February 2014

GTX Titan Z, released in March 2014

GTX Titan X, released in 2015

Titan X (2016), released in 2016 >>> THIS IS THE GRAPHICS CARD I AM TALKING ABOUT!

Titan Xp, released in April 2017

Titan V, released in December 2017

Titan RTX, released in 2018

Edited by Aiek
typos

4 hours ago, 66cats said:

What happened, what are the symptoms? If it can still load its driver without crashing (you can boot all the way to a desktop, but it crashes under load), you could try downclocking it with either Afterburner (as simple as dragging sliders to the left -- not permanent), or Maxwell BIOS Tweaker (sticks until you reflash the vBIOS). Stability will improve at the expense of performance. 

really funny story btw

So i was minding my own business, just coding on my computer (the gtx 980ti was still my main card since i gave my little brother my old rtx 2060) and then i hear a loud explosion and the computer turns off, i took out the graphics out (no visible damage), i start diagnosing the computer, replace the power supply BUT to my surprise it wasnt the power suppy. Turns out my 980ti's left power connector exploded and was fixable only with microsoldering, so i took it to a repairshop that repair this type of stuff, and then they tell me what happened; the power connector AND the gpu chip itself literally exploded and cannot be fixed unless replaced, and it wouldve costed me more more than the graphics card itself so i just retired it as a cool room decoration. So uhh no I cant just go into Maxwell BIOS Tweaker =))))

13 hours ago, D.Draker said:

I agree with you, anything less than 6GB makes no sense. The question is, will he ever need a Titan XP, I mean no guarantee we'll see the latest ported drivers.

I'd still go with it.:D

i wanted a 1080ti or titan x pascal (or as its called titan x 2016) because of their powerful graphics chip and insane amount of vram, my use case is pretty big so i kinda need more than 6gb of vram

also for even more context im maining vista on a ryzen for a reason: i NEED the performance (i also have fedora linux too)

Edited by Aiek
i forgot to add something

ok so conclude what i understood from this thread:

1080ti >> supports vista with modded drivers [but it breaks cuda sometimes (?) also from what d draker and dixel said, the picture from it looks like acid, but im used to that tbh]
980ti >> i had it and i can confirm it sucks and im not gonna buy another one again
titan x maxwell >> same as the 980ti except it has12gb of vram
titan x 2016 >> might not have the problems the 1080ti has im not sure tho (could buy this one but i heard it gets hot)
titan xp >> might have the exact same support as the gt 1030 for vista (which i am NOT going to be happy about, i dont wanna use 1000 patches just to run chromium or direct x apps)

Edited by Aiek

48 minutes ago, Aiek said:

More Cuda cores, too. Nvidia used top-binned dies to enable all those cores, and charged accordingly. I'm yet to find a Vista-compatible app that uses all 12 gigs, btw.

1 hour ago, Aiek said:

loud explosion

Trivia: That's how at least half of them go. When a MOSFET dies, it usually forms a dead short, so the GPU gets a blast of straight 12V instead of 1.small_changeV it usually gets. Shocked and appalled, it, in turn, also shorts.  Now the PSU is dumping 12V into a dead short, basically. Whatever offers the most resistance (the MOSFET itself usually, though in your case the 6+2 connector, which was probably making iffy contact) starts to burn -- itself & everything around it (see pic attached) :)

BTW, a good percentage of high-end cards from around that time have been mining, so the odds of getting one on its last legs are reasonably high. The first thing i do after scoring a card is try to overclock it -- if a Maxwell card is stable @ +100MHz on the cores & ~+500MHz memory, it's got life left. If not ...i got stuck with many of those.

aaa.jpg

On 11/21/2023 at 10:28 AM, Aiek said:

ok so conclude what i understood from this thread:

1080ti >> supports vista with modded drivers [but it breaks cuda sometimes (?) also from what d draker and dixel said, the picture from it looks like acid, but im used to that tbh]
980ti >> i had it and i can confirm it sucks and im not gonna buy another one again
titan x 2016 >> might not have the problems the 1080ti has im not sure tho (could buy this one but i heard it gets hot)
titan xp >> might have the exact same support as the gt 1030 for vista (which i am NOT going to be happy about, i dont wanna use 1000 patches just to run chromium or direct x apps)

1080ti >> yes, acid colours!

980ti >> sucks and too old (soon to be a decade old), I agree

titan x maxwell >> https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-titan-x.c2632

titan x 2016 >>Never heard of such thing, but if you know what that is, please find it on techpowerup and give us the link.

titan xp >> Tripredacus banned the only one knowledgeable member, the owner of Titan XP who provided us with good consultations (no, not for posting crakcs, if you wonder),

so we'll never now for sure. With the current members - seems no one  can answer this question with 100% certainty.

On 11/21/2023 at 2:01 PM, 66cats said:

@D.Draker:

Tried your driver, but probably screwed something up. Edited the .inf file, patched the nvlddmkm.sy_ (verified that the changes took by searching for modded strings), and when the driver installed (didn't sign the driver, got the unsigned warning, boot integrity checking was already disabled), i lost Aero & got the "you must reboot" warning. Yellow exclamation mark (driver missing or corrupt) in device manager on reboot. This was a while back, could've been due to omissions/mistakes I made, maybe some HW conflicts (this was on a X58 board with a Westmere chip), most likely user error. 

You still need to follow all instructions, including the signing, despite what you already did. People need to follow instructions precisely. Still having doubts? Read below.

@win32checked my modded driver and confirmed "the byte sequences in the other thread are valid for modding the driver".

https://msfn.org/board/topic/181612-wip-windows-vista-extended-kernel/?do=findComment&comment=1235379

I'm sorry, I don't know how to assist your further.

Everything you need to know on how to mod had been said in the thread already.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/184056-breakthrough-p2-new-pascal-special-microsoft-nvidia-driver-port-for-vista-x64/

Edited by D.Draker
links

On 11/21/2023 at 2:01 PM, 66cats said:

I made, maybe some HW conflicts (this was on a X58 board with a Westmere chip), most likely user error. 

No, it's more like a rumour. From what I know, the problem with NVCPL causing this conflict still haven't been resolved by @win32in the later drivers,  win32 please correct me if I missed the latest developments.

NVCPL simply won't start (not the driver) and this causes the hang Orbit.

I have a board with x58 chip, and this driver from the part 1 of my tutorial works with it.

So, as another idea, you try my driver that doesn't depend on win32's ex-kernel.

It works with 1080ti the OP of this topic asked about.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/183688-breakthrough-new-nvidia-drivers-ported-to-vista-tutorial/

There's proof with screens it works. Want more HQ detailed screenshots? Then write to Tripredacus and demand my limit to be extended to at least 20mb.

I, as the real content poster, deserve it, if he refuses, then all of you would have to entertain yourself with what's already posted, since my limit was up several years ago.  

8 hours ago, Karla Sleutel said:

There's much higher chance they were mining on a 7 year old Pascal Titan XP, but mining on that weak 2014 Maxwell, really?

Yes, Pascal is where all that heavy mining began, OP, be on your guard when selecting the card.

4 hours ago, D.Draker said:

There's proof with screens it works.

Like I said, it was probably user error (a mistake on my part) -- in no way a reflection on your driver. Sorry for any confusion.