Should I get a GTX 1080ti or a GTX Titan X Pascal for vista?

Aiek

tbh i only care more about stability here, i want to get the best graphics card i can get that can run vista and also not crash (like my gtx 980ti, btw turns out ALL those errors i had were because the gpu chip was absolutely fried so uhh sorry D.Draker if youre seeing this, and yes my old 980ti isnt functional anymore)
but heres what i care about the most
- which is better?
- which is more stable?
- which one is the better pick?

i already bought an X470 mobo since my B450 sucks with vista (yes im gonna run it on a ryzen)

Edited by Aiek

Depends on your taste. Do you like overbright acid colours? Then get 1080ti. I had that card in 2016, but returned to the store after 2 days. I didn't like the picture/visual quality.

Besides, it lacks CSAA.

I'd go with another 980 ti -- prices are finally reasonable, plenty of them to choose from. Titan X cards are hard to recommend -- hot, loud cards that bench fractionally better than 980 ti. If you're mainly gaming, you won't feel the difference. OTOH, got two of them in SLI, basterdized with 980 ti Hybrid coolers -- a goofy setup, won't even try to rationalize.

If it's about games/FPS, 1080 ti is probably a better choice, though all the modded drivers i've tried seem to break Cuda, so e.g. recent Adobe apps (that work with extended kernel/ Maxwell cards) are broken. 

Edited by 66cats

3 hours ago, 66cats said:

Titan X cards are hard to recommend -- hot, loud cards that bench fractionally better than 980 ti >>> youre talking about the maxwell version of the titan x here, that is based on maxwell, but i was referring to the better pascal version, which is basicly a 1% slower 1080ti with 12gb of vram

If it's about games/FPS, 1080 ti is probably a better choice, though all the modded drivers i've tried seem to break Cuda, so e.g. recent Adobe apps (that work with extended kernel/ Maxwell cards) are broken. >>> Interesting, so youre basically contradicting everything youve said with this statement, since the 980ti is also maxwell, from what i see i shouldnt get neither of them because the maxwell and pascal suck with windows vista, but ill wait for others people's advice. So far I am considering buying a Titan Black since its not maxwell nor pascal.

(also sorry if i sound rude dont take this as an insult or anything, some people do)

Edited by Aiek

4 hours ago, Dixel said:

Depends on your taste. Do you like overbright acid colours? Then get 1080ti. I had that card in 2016, but returned to the store after 2 days. I didn't like the picture/visual quality.

Besides, it lacks CSAA.

well tbh idrc about that, i only care if they are stable and dont crash when i open some windows 7+ app

from everything i see people say and my personal experience, the maxwell and pascal architecture both suck stability wise with vista, my dead 980ti had issues opening some applications because the drivers werent the best and never will be, so idk ill probably buy a titan black

52 minutes ago, Aiek said:

youre basically contradicting everything youve said with this statement

? I'll break it down to simplify:

1. Titan X & 980ti are Maxwell cards, with official Vista driver support.

2. 1080ti is Pascal. Pascal has no official Vista drivers, though modded drivers exist.

3. Modded Pascal drivers break Cuda (for me).

4. Modded Pascal drivers work well in games.

The rest is opinion (you won't notice any difference between 980ti and Titan X in games; Titan X is pointless in Vista, etc.). 

52 minutes ago, Aiek said:

I am considering buying a Titan Black

Nothing wrong with it, a year/gen. earlier, worse (lower frames) than 980ti, could be had for less.

Edit re. " i was referring to the better pascal version, which is basicly a 1% slower 1080ti with 12gb of vram": didn't see that, my bad. Never owned one. Everything said about 1080ti applies, i guess.

Edited by 66cats

2 hours ago, 66cats said:

1. Titan X & 980ti are Maxwell cards, with official Vista driver support. >> the drivers arent super good tbh

2. 1080ti is Pascal. Pascal has no official Vista drivers, though modded drivers exist. >> I know, the Titan X Pascal is supported with the modded drivers, my question was if the Titan X Pascal was the better pick compared to the 1080ti, since its older it shouldnt have the same 1080ti issues right? (its still pascal but it should work with vista tho)

Ok at this point idek what to pick, the Titan Black shouldn't have the Maxwell & Pascal vista driver issues right? (The cudas shouldnt break im hoping)

Edited by Aiek

13 minutes ago, Aiek said:

Maxwell & Pascal vista driver issues

Never ran into those with Maxwell cards myself (run extended kernel with 960, 980ti & Titan X Maxwell), so can't really comment. If there are some specific (common/easy to get) apps you had problems with, i could try them & get back to you.

Sorry for missing 'PASCAL' in your post & *title* BTW, someday i'll learn to read before typing. 

45 minutes ago, Aiek said:

if the Titan X Pascal was the better pick compared to the 1080ti

Aren't they almost the same? Never had a Pascal Titan. One reason to stay away from both: not compatible with XP (if you ever decide to multiboot). 

11 hours ago, Aiek said:

Hi! The title is wrong, no such thing as "GTX Titan X Pascal" exists, however, there's GTX Titan XP,

I own one GTX Titan X, it runs hot, noisy, no huge difference between it and the Black  one, except the VRAM amount,

I shouldn't advise GTX Titan X to the worst enemy, stay away. 1080Ti runs well with my 378.78 modded driver.

But yeah, like Dixel said, the picture is acid. 

Edited by D.Draker
a typo

8 hours ago, Karla Sleutel said:

I own GTX 780 Ti, more than enough for me, but 3GB of memory seems on the low end, so better go with at least Titan 6GB.

I agree with you, anything less than 6GB makes no sense. The question is, will he ever need a Titan XP, I mean no guarantee we'll see the latest ported drivers.

I'd still go with it.:D