Latest-ish MPC-HC ported for XP

tirigliu

1 hour ago, D.Draker said:

Your card also has the limited (partial) VP9 hardware feature.

Doesn't this only apply to HEVC?

I do remember there's a nice program out there to list exactly what works through DXVA on computer where it's launched, but I don't recall its name ATM.

21 minutes ago, j7n said:

But luckily nobody releases films in VP9 format. On the web, there usually is an alternative normal h.264 video, or the bitrate is so low that the video can be played on the CPU.

Yeah, I rarely watch anything new anymore. I used to worry about what my graphics card supports, if I waited one year instead of buying Radeon 4890, I would've got a card with DirectX 11. If I waited one year instead of buying GTX 750 Ti, I would've got a card that does video decoding beyond old H.264 and DirectX 12.

21 minutes ago, j7n said:

The "X" in DirectX stands for a complete package of stuff that games need.

I'm guilty of this as well (just the paragraph before), but Direct3D and DirectX are often used interchangeably. I didn't think of the X this way, but I knew that's how Xbox got its name - DirectX box.

On 1/19/2024 at 10:16 PM, j7n said:

Microsoft always comes up with new stuff to lock customers into an upgrade path.

This goes way beyond Microsoft. I know because I work at the smaller company that does specific hardware and software. So practically, as far as I'm concerned, everyone does this.

Edited by UCyborg

I have a 750 Ti too. There is a newer model of 750 that is GM206, and also 960 that work under XP for h.265. Even out of 3D a video player doesn't need a lot. If I choose "3D surfaces" in MPC-HC, I can rotate the picture, which I need once in a blue moon from a video shot on a smartphone. There are advanced color filters that can be run on the GPU, but if I intend to watch a film as the producer intended, I don't need those either.

3 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Doesn't this only apply to HEVC?

Yes, it does. HEVC Version 1 (Main 8 bits) is supported on 750.

HEVC (Main 10 profile) is not supported on GTX 750.

3 hours ago, j7n said:

They added VP9 in Pascal, which doesn't function on XP because there are no drivers. But luckily nobody releases films in VP9 format. On the web, there usually is an alternative normal h.264 video, or the bitrate is so low that the video can be played on the CPU. H.265 exists on the film "market," and is supported in second generation Maxwell.

If your goal is only to transport the video stream to the GPU, something like CUVID/NVDEC is more straightforward. But that needs a working display driver. The "X" in DirectX stands for a complete package of stuff that games need.

No, it was in GTX 960 and GTX 950 already included. (Maxwell)

"The seventh generation of PureVideo HD, introduced with the GeForce GTX 960 and GTX 950, a second generation Maxwell (microarchitecture) GPU (GM206), adds full hardware-decode of H.265 HEVC Version 1 (Main and Main 10 profiles) to the GPU's video-engine. Feature Set F hardware decoder also supports full fixed function VP9 (video codec) hardware decoding"

Look here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_PureVideo

I do remember there's a nice program out there to list exactly what works through DXVA on computer where it's launched, but I don't recall its name ATM.

GPUZ, you can see it in the additional section, below the BIOS information, under "DXVA" category.

3 hours ago, j7n said:

H.265 exists on the film "market," and is supported in second generation Maxwell.

No, I have GTX Titan X Maxwell, H265 is also limited to just 8bit (partial format). Of Maxwell - only GTX960 and 950 are fully unlocked for 10bit decoding.

2 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

GPUZ

Oh, I forgot about this one, but the other one I had in mind was focused specifically on DXVA and was a bit verbose about it.

This is what GPU-Z shows here on XP x64:

spacer.png

14 minutes ago, j7n said:

There is a newer model of 750 that is GM206, and also 960 that work under XP for h.265.

8 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

For the full decode abilities you would need to buy GTX750 SE (Special Edition), not the Ti.

So I'd just have to wait about half-year and I'd have that. Oh well, I couldn't wait to play Wolfenstein: The New Order back then.

So I'd just have to wait about half-year and I'd have that. Oh well, I couldn't wait to play Wolfenstein: The New Order back then.

It's always very tricky with Nvidia, it's pretty much gambling. My card was released later than the Special Edition of 750, but it is still gimped, not to mention they dared to gimp the famous Titan, and released the top class card without that simple ability! I guess I was lucky because I bought for 40 Euros only.

It doesn't come up on used market. If someone sells a "750" they have no idea which one it is, because the seller only sees the outside label, and it will likely be GM107 instead of GM206. A "960" a mighty big beast. But so far I see good encodes in h.264 for all content I'm interested in. These video cards can play multiple high bitrate streams simultaneously, seek very fast. No need for a new format that is only designed so someone can get patents.

Edited by j7n

Oh, I forgot about this one, but the other one I had in mind was focused specifically on DXVA and was a bit verbose about it.

This is what GPU-Z shows here on XP x64:

spacer.png

Oh, you're welcome, I too sometimes forget things! Honestly, your screenshot looks very lame, it basically means you can only decode VC-1 with your current hardware/set of drivers.

Edit - Which driver version is that?

Edited by D.Draker

3 hours ago, j7n said:

If someone sells a "750" they have no idea which one it is, because the seller only sees the outside label

It should be marked as "SE" on the sticker.

3 hours ago, j7n said:

so far I see good encodes in h.264 for all content I'm interested in.

Unfortunately, it's not the case with the streaming services here, in France. I recently purchased James Bond collection (another re-issue from the fresh 4 scans), it is all encoded in H265. Choppy on my piece of garbage GTX titan X, despite having the official XP drivers up to 368.81. This port or any usual MPC-HC struggles with them, plenty of dropped frames.

BTW, I've just grabbed a sample from youtube, and the newer videos now identified as V_VP9,

not VP9 or the usual VP09 in MP4 container, thoughts?

My Titan X obviously doesn't know what to do with them, MPC-HC can decode them in the soft mode, but 2160p plays extremely choppy, while 1080p are fine.

The videos in this format are disgusting, overbright, lots of glow, like a heavy de-noise filter applied all over them.

_ screenshot added

VV.png

Edited by D.Draker

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

45 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

but the other one I had in mind was focused specifically on DXVA and was a bit verbose about it.

DXVA Checker?