I want to create an extended kernel for Windows 95

WinFX

Hello everyone, there is an extended kernel for most of the unsupported windows systems, the famous KernelEX for 98, the Extended Kernel for Windows 2000 by Blackwingcat, the one for Vista by win32, among many others. But Windows 95 doesn't have one.

I would like to create an extended kernel for Windows 95C (OSR 2.5), since this would be like the most recent service pack of Windows 95. With the extended kernel I would like to make programs/components that work on NT 4.0 SP6a and 98 compatible but 95 no, like the following:
- Internet Explorer 6.0 Service Pack 1
-Windows Media Player 9.0
- Net Framework 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0 RTM.
- DirectX 8.1 and 9.0c
-Office XP
- DLL redirection

I barely have knowledge of assembly language, I barely have a little experience with Windows NT 5.x (2000 and XP), but I don't know how to add a dependency/ordinal to a Windows 9x kernel, since when I expand the table I get a BSOD. Unlike KernelEX for 98 and ME, I want to replace the system files directly to run software that is compatible with the latest 9x.

On 7/27/2023 at 2:09 AM, WinFX said:

I barely have knowledge of assembly language, I barely have a little experience with Windows NT 5.x (2000 and XP), but I don't know how to add a dependency/ordinal to a Windows 9x kernel, since when I expand the table I get a BSOD. Unlike KernelEX for 98 and ME, I want to replace the system files directly to run software that is compatible with the latest 9x.

What do you mean "replace system files"? Reverse engineer and replace, patch in place, or use newer versions (maybe patched)?

I've wanted to extend Win32s (Win3.x) and add full fat32 support, to early Win95.

Anyway, I had heard that extremely early versions of KernelEx supported Win95. But I never found any, and assumed what I had read was someones misunderstanding.

44 minutes ago, awkduck said:

What do you mean "replace system files"? Reverse engineer and replace, patch in place, or use newer versions (maybe patched)?

I've wanted to extend Win32s (Win3.x) and add full fat32 support, to early Win95.

Anyway, I had heard that extremely early versions of KernelEx supported Win95. But I never found any, and assumed what I had read was someones misunderstanding.

What I want is to replace the original files, with patched ones.

• 3 weeks later...

A kernelex for w95 could be amazing @WinFX

also please, try to make usb 2 work in windows 95, I know it's possible cause @rloew done it back in the day:

https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=443788&sid=60024bc16295245fc3274557940557a2#p443788

I was able to get USB 2 to work with Windows 95.
It took a combination of Files from 98FE, a Beta File, an Interrupt Driver I had to write, and some Patches to get it to work.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm also in the process of trying to create an extended kernel for Windows 95, but as I'm a good guy, I'll tell you the secret of this blessed Kernel, start first with VMM32.VXD, so you can bring more advantages, because of it we have the problem of memory, and it is very difficult to recreate, I still have more secrets that will make sense, but let's see who finishes first!

• 3 months later...