GTX 980ti Unity crashes Vista x64

Aiek

Recently, I got my hands on a GTX 980ti for some retro gaming on my ryzen system, (i multiboot ever windows version from 11 to xp). I tested the GPU on xp, it seemed to work fine, same on windows 10, it worked well, but all of that changed when i wanted to test vista, I moved from a FirePro v3900 for xp and vista (and if youre wondering the unity games that were crashing before i switched the gpu worked, and yes i uninstalled the driver and reinstalled windows vista 3 times), huge upgrade tbh however after i installed the last vista version of the gtx driver, unity games would refuse to work, NO UNITY GAME WORKED, only 1 i made myself that wasnt really an advanced game but the others just crashed for no actual reason, and I think its the gpu driver because when i tried the same thing on windows 10 every game that crashed worked just fine
I even tried server 2008 updates which corrupted my vista install, got stuck at 1/3 94% when updating so thats pretty weird (probably because i am on a ryzen system and vista hates ryzens, personal experience), i tried newer versions of the modded nvidia drivers, to make the gtx 1080 ti work on vista, which did not fix my issue.
If you care these are my specs:
Ryzen 7 3700X
MSI B450 GAMING PRO MAX
32 GB Ram 3200mhz
GTX 980ti
1TB samsung ssd, vista is installed on it, ofc its mbr

and 3 more hdds and 1 more ssd, all mbr except for one hdd

Vista x64, latest extended kernel version. (along side xp and all the other versions of windows)

if anyone can help that would be cool

btw the error is like in this picture, ik its not the same os but its the same error that happens on vista too

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by Aiek

10 hours ago, Cocodile said:

Which driver versions did you use exactly_?

You can't properly test any somewhat modern GPU on xp, since it has no DX10, not to mention DX11.

365.19 is the last version of the driver you can find on the official nvidia website (for the gtx 980ti), and about what you said, there are modded gtx 980ti drivers for xp.

the modded driver was version 368.81.

11 hours ago, Aiek said:

365.19 is the last version of the driver you can find on the official nvidia website (for the gtx 980ti), and about what you said, there are modded gtx 980ti drivers for xp.

the modded driver was version 368.81.

Lemme join.

Modded or not, they simply can't add support for DX10/DX11 to XP. Now forget about XP.

Try this Vista driver, we'll start from the older (known to be good) ones.

Official nvidia website drivers are usually crap. (horrible throttling, etc.).

You would need to add the device ID for yout card. Do you know how to do it ? Plenty of tutorials.

Here is the link:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/driver/drvs/2015/03/20722154_16262aedb808c3093b31a0c84d31d7625e57b39b.cab

Driver only, does'nt bundle Physx or Audio Driver, can add them from another one.

If your encounter problems - uninstall in safe mode.

Before you proceed - clean the old crap with DDU in safe mode.

On 5/28/2023 at 6:35 PM, D.Draker said:

Lemme join.

Modded or not, they simply can't add support for DX10/DX11 to XP. Now forget about XP.

Try this Vista driver, we'll start from the older (known to be good) ones.

Official nvidia website drivers are usually crap. (horrible throttling, etc.). - agreed

You would need to add the device ID for yout card. Do you know how to do it ? Plenty of tutorials. - no problem with that

Here is  the link:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/driver/drvs/2015/03/20722154_16262aedb808c3093b31a0c84d31d7625e57b39b.cab - the link doesnt work, i even tried http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/driver/drvs/2015/03/20722154 but that didnt do anything

Driver only, doesn't bundle Physx or Audio Driver, can add them from another one. - no problem not like i was gonna use them

If your encounter problems - uninstall in safe mode.

Before you proceed - clean the old crap with DDU in safe mode. - i reinstalled, i dont feel like installing the extended kernel without 2008 updates

yeah links dont work no matter what

Untitled.png

Untitled - Copy.png

3 minutes ago, winvispixp said:

the link works, i even saved it to the wayback machine just now
maybe try another browser

thanks, chrome 115 is unstable lmao

6 hours ago, Aiek said:

Untitled.png

Untitled - Copy.png

6 hours ago, winvispixp said:

the link works, i even saved it to the wayback machine just now
maybe try another browser

Of course it does work, it's directly from Microsoft, perhaps he blocked MS servers? Or maybe your country is blocked?

Yeah, a good idea to back it up, it's a very rare driver without throttling. Everything up to Titan X is supported, MS signed (WHQL).

Maybe @win32 will also be interested to import stuff from this rare driver, that didn't work in 37x.xx .

It doesn't show up in the searches anymore, I was clever enough to save the direct link had from many years ago.

UPDATE : I have plugged in my vista ssd because i got bored of windows xp (and i also had free time), and i can tell you that driver you gave me is amazing, thank you so much!
Only thing i had do modify was the nv_whql.inf, it was missing the gtx 980ti hardware ids
so i added it in (%NVIDIA_DEV.17C8%           = Section073, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_17C8), although windows has no idea what my gpu's name is which is kinda funny

Did it fix my problem? Not really - A lot of games that didn't run before now run, ill give a few examples :
PC Building Simulator 2 works, it crashed before, now it works (with my old firepro v3900 it didnt because it was too weak to run it lol)
Baldi works (yes, cringe game but its unity so thats a step forward, didnt work before!)

FNAF VR works, im not too sure if it crashed before or not (its unreal engine 4 so it should work even without the extended kernel)

Now here is where everything goes downhill

Any unity game, and i mean ANY that uses unity 2019.2, 2019.4.20 to 2020.2 will crash, no matter what, for some reason my unity game that im still working on doesnt crash, (its 2021.4 so thats unexpected, heck it runs even better it now runs at 240 fps because its vsync locked, before that it would run at 120 to 140 fps, keep in mind my monitor is 240hz) everything else works just fine, minecraft works (didnt crash before), my csgo 2015 revival works, clustertruck works, basicly any "modern" video game works.

Im still confused on why any unity game on those versions dont work, they worked before just fine on my firepro v3900, so yeah... I might try windows server 2008 updates since they might do something, the osver spoof doesnt fix the crashes btw.

btw i have confirmed my suspicions, 2021.2 unity games work, that new game that came out like a month ago called amanda the adventurer does work, even better than on windows 10 actually
879745422_frfr.thumb.jpg.028010416c436614dac01912c612898d.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Aiek

10 hours ago, Aiek said:

i can tell you that driver you gave me is amazing, thank you so much!
Only thing i had do modify was the nv_whql.inf, it was missing the gtx 980ti hardware ids
so i added it in (%NVIDIA_DEV.17C8%           = Section073, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_17C8), although windows has no idea what my gpu's name is which is kinda funny

You're welcome!

Must be a bad tutorial you found! You also need to add the device name at the bottom of the file. The driver is fully compatible with all 900 series.

As for your question, I run 2019.4.26 absolutely trouble free, but I'm on Intel and Tiatn X.

Are you sure your hardware's fine? Maybe a defect? The 980 card should be almost a decade now.

10 hours ago, Aiek said:

doesnt crash, (its 2021.4 so thats unexpected, heck it runs even better it now runs at 240 fps because its vsync locked, before that it would run at 120 to 140 fps, keep in mind my monitor is 240hz) everything else works just fine, minecraft works (didnt crash before), my csgo 2015 revival works, clustertruck works, basicly any "modern" video game works.

I told you, the driver is very special, it's a developer driver without the artificial FPS lock at poor values, like they do for ordinary peasants.

This story is endless, they do it on purpose, you can find videos. From time to time, they leak developer drivers, once in a blue moon.

2 hours ago, D.Draker said:

I told you, the driver is very special, it's a developer driver without the artificial FPS lock at poor values, like they do for ordinary peasants.

This story is endless, they do it on purpose, you can find videos. From time to time, they leak developer drivers, once in a blue moon.

This is planned obsolescence! I made the game tho, i put the fps lock (by fps lock i mean so its stuck at your monitors refresh rate, for example if its 60hz its 60 fps and so on) in purpose because without vsync the game isnt the same, i will make it an option to disable it though, lets juts forget about how well the driver works.

And about how i modded the driver, yes i did put it at the bottom, i didnt follow any tutorials because i know how to mod nvidia drivers, i have experience with them. And my gtx 980ti isnt broken, nor is anything in my computer. It works just fine on windows 10 (or any other os, even the games that didn't work on vista work on linux), it runs every unity game that crashed on vista very well, i have no idea what causes the crashes, but i noticed people on youtube just disable fullscreen optimizations, if only i had that option! I might try server 2008 updates, i do not have any installed right now.

Anyways, do you know where i can find a leaked developer driver for my 2060? (when i feel like replacing my gtx 980ti lol, i havent used it in a month)

bruh.jpg

Edited by Aiek

21 hours ago, Aiek said:

This is planned obsolescence!  ... my gtx 980ti isnt broken ...

How so? A bit contradictory, don't you agree? You wrote yourself your decade old 980ti works fine. What was "planned" in it? Or you want an eternal videocard?

Perhaps start looking towards Romanian video cards then?

21 hours ago, Aiek said:

i have experience 

What's the Crash file doin in your game folder then? Even its name kinda suggests it can do bad things to you.

21 hours ago, Aiek said:

i have no idea what causes the crashes

Could it be your super funny joke about Service pack No. 1866? The games might actually rely on that info.

EDIT.

No, I'm not interested in low to mid range cards, so no driver for 2060, sorry, perhaps ask the others?

Edited by D.Draker