Antimalware, firewall, and other security programs for Windows XP working in 2023 and hopefully beyond

AstroSkipper

13 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Hello! I came here led by a search engine, looking for security software that runs on 32bit vintage OS. I just wanted to show my appreciation and thank the amazing author @AstroSkipper.

Thank you for this wonderful collection! I'm looking forward to see more of your software! Cheers and regards! Nice forum.

Welcome to MSFN and my thread! :hello: Thank you very much for your nice compliment! I will continue when I have more time available. Researching, checking, and writing is very time-consuming, unfortunately. pendule.gif

Greetings from Germany to Belgium, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

1 hour ago, Saxon said:

Hello! I came here led by a search engine, looking for security software that runs on 32bit vintage OS...

Welcome to MSFN Saxon! :) Your profile shows that you are actually running Vista x86, which is my old favorite! You can find an amazing list of software for it, including a much more complete list of Antivirus & Security Software, in the first post of this thread:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/175262-last-versions-of-software-for-windows-vista-and-windows-server-2008/

Subject: Panda

Panda is a Western antivirus that still supports Windows XP in 2023!?Sounds too good to be true, right? Unfortunately, here is a cautionary tale about the hazards of relying on second-rate security software:

https://www.theregister.com/2015/03/11/panda_antivirus_update_self_pwn/

That really happened, and I was one of Panda’s victims. :realmad:

I am not the only MSFN member who is unimpressed by Panda. @Milkinis gave quite a critique in his March 14 post. I recall that @mina7601 was also dissatisfied with Panda, and would be interested in knowing why.

37 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

I recall that @mina7601 was also dissatisfied with Panda, and would be interested in knowing why.

Well, because it didn't remove any viruses I had, it just gave me a notification saying that the viruses were removed, but the viruses were still there despite the notification. And since this happened, I removed it completely and never bothered with it again anymore after this, unfortunately. AVG's latest version for XP, despite being 6 years old, was in fact able to remove them without any issues.

Edited by mina7601

49 minutes ago, Milkinis said:

what happened ? feel free to share your bad eXPerience 

Well I did provide a link since it wasn’t just me: It was a worldwide debacle for Panda users that occurred on March 11, 2015 (“a date that will live in infamy” - FDR). In a nutshell, Panda attacked itself as well as Windows system files, and the best solution was to reinstall Windows. Granted, that was more than 8 years ago now, and perhaps the company learned its lesson? Then again, Norton cannot really be discussed here due to opinions that were formed 15-20 years ago, so my opinion of Panda is relatively recent I suppose.

Are you still using Avast 18.8? That was my preference before my Vista x86 system conked out.

32 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

...AVG's latest version for XP, despite being 6 years old, was in fact able to remove them without any issues.

More precisely, AVG 18.8 will be 5 years old in November. (Of course it has the same engine as Avast 18.8, so I would expect it to be pretty good.) Thank you for sharing some details! :)

While we hear words, words and just words, here I'm giving a Fact-checked article by Laura Mogenytė.

Panda Dome is ones TOP Choice among all antiviruses.

"Panda Dome is a contender for the best...".

It includes:

Many features

All versions include a VPN

Free version

Can be transformed into portable version

Ransomware protection

Laptop anti-theft suite

Customer support that goes beyond antivirus

Beautiful UI

Extra mobile features

Source: Latest and current info, from Paulius Masiliauskas [12 June 2023]

https://cybernews.com/best-antivirus-software/panda-antivirus-review/

Edited by Cocodile
link to the source

Subject: Panda Free Antivirus

Some months ago, I had carried out my own tests with the result that Panda Free Antivirus detected and deleted my test malware. In a real Windows system, not in a VM. So, I can confirm that Panda Free Antivirus is fully working:thumbup It is one of the rare antimalware ptogrammes which are still up-to-date and still receive programme updates under Windows XP. However, we all know the real security problem is very often in front of the computer. panne1.gif In such cases, a good programme like Panda Free Antivirus can't help anymore, either. :no:

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

I’m tempted to ask Cocodile if he ever actually used Panda, but the answer is obvious to me. It was a glowing review that led me to Panda near the end of 2014, but I learned my lesson the hard way in about 3 months. This really did happen - not some kind of anti-Spanish propaganda:

https://www.theregister.com/2015/03/11/panda_antivirus_update_self_pwn/

Kindly provide proof then, please upload screenshots, reports, log files or better make a video! Otherwise it can be seen very bad, even may look like a pre-paid counter review done by dishonest competitors [someone who works for Kaspersky, for example, please bear in mind, I'm not saying it's you!]. Without proof, it's just words, words, words and words. Please don't forget to post proof from an OS that is the only one on-topic one: Windows XP SP3 32-bit.