Antimalware, firewall, and other security programs for Windows XP working in 2023 and hopefully beyond

AstroSkipper

10 minutes ago, Cixert said:

Can you confirm that the last XP version PRO is 10.0.1250?
I have tried the trial version and the last one that works completely is version 10.0.0.1232.
In higher versions to 10.0.0.1242 when I go to the System Tools - System Investigator option, it happens that explorer.exe is blocked and I must force the computer's restart.
I would like to emphasize that version 10.0.0.1208 is the last one that has 50 MiB of size, then become 100-200 MiB.

SUPERAntiSpyware Professional X Edition 10.0.1250 is the version I am using now. It was the last version which comes via automatic update. When I am at my desktop computer, I will check the System Tools - System Investigator option and report here. :yes:

Update notification! update.gif

Contrary to the system requirements published by RealDefense in their FAQ (actually Windows 7 and higher), SUPERAntiSpyware Professional has been updated to the version 10.0.1254 via automatic update and is still compatible to Windows XP. It works as it should without any problems. ssupercool2.gif Here is a screenshot showing the main interface of SUPERAntiSpyware Professional X 10.0.1254 in my Windows XP partition:

SUPERAnti-Spyware-10-0-1254.png

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

On 6/16/2023 at 11:15 PM, Cixert said:

Can you confirm that the last XP version PRO is 10.0.1250?
I have tried the trial version and the last one that works completely is version 10.0.0.1238.
https://www.filepuma.com/download/superantispyware_10.0.1238-29661/
In higher versions when I go to the System Tools - System Investigator option, it happens that explorer.exe is blocked and I must force the computer's restart.
I would like to emphasize that version 10.0.0.1208 is the last one that has 50 MiB of size, then become 100-200 MiB.

From now on, the most recent version is SUPERAntiSpyware Professional X Edition 10.0.1254. I checked the System Tools - System Investigator Options and didn't observe any problems. :no: Here is a screenshot:

SUPERAnti-Spyware-System-Invstigator-Opt

No blocked Explorer, no issues. I guess there must be another cause for your problems.

Greetings, AstroSkipper ecrire-ordi.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

2 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

My main article will also be updated as soon as possible.

You haven’t written a “main article” on SUPERAntiSpyware yet.

On 6/12/2023 at 6:14 AM, AstroSkipper said:

SUPERAntiSpyware has been on my list for a long time. And an article about it will come soon.

When you do, please explain why one might wish to purchase a licence for this when a Free Edition is available. 🤔

2 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

You haven’t written a “main article” on SUPERAntiSpyware yet.

Your objection is justified. I thought I had already written that, but it was just a slightly longer post. I already corrected my post above. Thanks for the hint!

2 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

When you do, please explain why one might wish to purchase a licence for this when a Free Edition is available. 🤔

No one has to buy a licence for whatever. snegatif.gif In this thread, I list all possible editions of antimalware and other security programmes. Nothing more and nothing less. smilie_denk_24.gif And guessing wishes is not my job. snegatif.gif Here is a comparison of free and pro features: https://www.superantispyware.com/free-edition.html 
The Free Edition is of course considerably limited. Above all, no real time protection. But what is the saying: 5818.png 

PS: Personally, I couldn't care less which version of which programme a user prefers. I provide information, the mature reader can decide for himself what to do with it. smilie_denk_24.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

4 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

The Free Edition is of course considerably limited. Above all, no real time protection.

Your screenshots show “Not Protected” under Real-Time Protection? I guess you keep that feature turned off since you are relying on Malwarebytes Premium 3.5.1 for real-time protection. I am  also a true believer in good real-time protection, but I don’t think SAS Professional has ever been tested by an independent lab and reviews are rather unfavorable. :}

10 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Your screenshots show “Not Protected” under Real-Time Protection? I guess you keep that feature turned off since you are relying on Malwarebytes Premium 3.5.1 for real-time protection.

Of course! It's never a good idea to have more than one real-time protection. Furthermore, I have to pay attention to resource consumption in my old Windows XP computer. As long as Malwarebytes releases definitions updates for the version 3.5.1, I will use this antimalware programme for real-time protection. The good thing is that both are compatible with each other. I can deactivate the real-time protection of Malwarebytes at any time and activate that of SUPERAntiSpyware if wanted by me. BTW, SUPERAntiSpyware has many additional features which are useful. At the moment, I use it as an offline scanner. More about that programme will come soon! 

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

15 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

... but I don’t think SAS Professional has ever been tested by an independent lab ...

I guess you're right. I couln't find any official tests by AV-Test and other independent labs, either. :no:

15 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

... and reviews are rather unfavorable. :}

I can't confirm this. I found reviews which are rather favourable. :)

17 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

At the moment, I use it as an offline scanner.

Yes, that is exactly what I used SAS Free Edition for.

9 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

I found reviews which are rather favourable. :)

And I’m sure that your main article will include one. Meanwhile, here’s a rather unfavorable review:

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/superantispyware-professional-60

Edited by Vistapocalypse

7 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

And I’m sure that your main article will include one. Meanwhile, here’s a rather unfavorable review:

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/superantispyware-professional-60

Your review is almost 3 years old. Therefore, it doesn't refer to the current version. :no: I will list a review (or more) which is more recent if available. And it doesn't matter whether it is favourable or not. smilie_denk_24.gif Furthermore, I'm not at all surprised that your linked review is unfavourable. TBH, I had expected nothing else. :no: Since Covid, it seems that negative is the new positive. :buehehe:

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrixx.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

9 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Your review is almost 3 years old. Therefore, it doesn't refer to the current version. :no: I will list a review (or more) which is more recent if available.

I will be interested to see what you can find! (Even the customer reviews at Amazon are older than the article that I linked to above.) I just watched a YouTube video from November 2021, however only the Free Edition was tested, and unfortunately it missed a lot of malware samples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP7_IVQ0cgY

SUPERAntiSpyware, the only thing is good at is to remove cookies. Basically is crap. I do have it installed on my XP ( just for the cookies really) I have not used it for at least four years maybe even more. It is a waste of space.

1 hour ago, Tangy said:

SUPERAntiSpyware, the only thing is good at is to remove cookies. Basically is crap. I do have it installed on my XP ( just for the cookies really) I have not used it for at least four years maybe even more. It is a waste of space.

Succinctly put! :D

14 hours ago, Tangy said:

Hello @Tangy! Welcome to this thread! Analyzing your statement, I am sorry to say that you have forgotten to give reasons. I am a mathematician, and such statements without justification or proof are basically meaningless. Therefore, the following question: Why is SUPERAntiSpyware worthless or useless in your eyes? You said you hadn't used it for more than 4 years. So from what experience do you base such a statement? :dubbio:

Edited by AstroSkipper