Steam on Windows 8.1

Teeotsa

7 hours ago, mjd79 said:

Thanks for the kind words - although it was @D.Draker who once told my friend who ran away from the forum what features to replace in Windows 7, he also deserves thanks.

I will help you with the driver, if you promise not to make it public and not to scream on every corner that it's yours and you made it. If you're agree. shoot me a message.

17 minutes ago, alzcore397 said:

great news. how we the ''users'' can get this version?? will you release a patched installer???

If Spotify is open-source yes. But I'm not sure about that.
If not, I can at most help with a manual patch in CFF Explorer.

I'll be looking at Steam. I'll hope to at least make something work after the last client, but seeing as how everything in modern Steam is a webview of sorts it's probably going to be impossible unless it still just works with the old CEF.

this was valve's statement on the discontinuation of steam

Windows 7 and Windows 8 Support

As of January 1 2024, Steam will officially stop supporting the Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 operating systems. After that date, the Steam Client will no longer run on those versions of Windows. In order to continue running Steam and any games or other products purchased through Steam, users will need to update to a more recent version of Windows.

This change is required as core features in Steam rely on an embedded version of Google Chrome, which no longer functions on older versions of Windows. In addition, future versions of Steam will require Windows feature and security updates only present in Windows 10 and above.

Although support won't end until 2024, we strongly encourage all Windows 7/8/8.1 users to update sooner rather than later. Microsoft ended security updates and technical support for Windows 7 in January 2020 and for Windows 8.1 in January 2023. Computers running these operating systems, when connected to the internet, are susceptible to new malware and other exploits which will not be patched. That malware can cause your PC, Steam and games to perform poorly or crash. That malware can also be used to steal the credentials for your Steam account or other services. (so starting january 1st a extended kernal type thing will be needed to run it):rolleyes:

Edited by legacyfan

• 2 months later...

Made a post about this on my forum, it's a bit too early to really do or say much, but my post has a main idea that I would like to share here.

Don't say that Steam will immediately stop working on 1/1/24. It is technically possible that it could happen, however, it's not likely going by past events, or even viable to do.

On 6/10/2023 at 3:21 PM, K4sum1 said:

Don't say that Steam will immediately stop working on 1/1/24. It is technically possible that it could happen, however, it's not likely going by past events, or even viable to do.

When they dropped support for Win XP, they did a very simple thing, they released an update, within days of January 1, that just won't run on XP. Although, for those who banned the update, Steam continued to work, and was fully functional for another couple of years, and even now you can log in, but you can't install or run games.

Well, the first update after January 1st actually worked fine, The later updates are what broke. What I was getting at was blocking updates kept the client working before, so it should now.