Best Windows Vista Antivirus With The Extended Kernel?

legacyfan

what's the best antivirus that works with the extended kernel? ive been doing research into this recently and can't find anything that would work properly (or won't work at all) so my question is are there any antivirus known to work with the extended kernel if anyone could help with this it would be much appreciated.                                                                                                          -legacyfan

Edited by legacyfan

28 minutes ago, legacyfan said:

any antivirus known to work with the extended kernel

I use Kaspersky Free 18.0.0.405 (despite the hate for it being "russian spyware") on my dedicated vista machine and it works great! There were some problems in the past with firefox and by that I mean it crashed when it tried to scan the page I was loading (I guess); it might still have this issue, but I don't use firefox anymore so you can try that for yourself and let us know
I have the offline installer if you want; As it is the free version, I don't think there's any problem with sharing it 
https://archive.org/details/kfa18.0.0.405aben_es_fr_12643_202211

On 2/12/2023 at 1:02 PM, winvispixp said:

I use Kaspersky Free 18.0.0.405...on my dedicated vista machine and it works great!

Sounds like Kaspersky could be the official antivirus for extended kernel except for one thing: You wrote 2 years ago that Kaspersky could not be installed in a VM.

Has anyone out there had success with another antivirus using extended kernel on a VM?

8 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

You wrote 2 years ago that Kaspersky could not be installed in a VM.

Yes, I remember it gave an error which led me to believe it didn't support windows vista, even though every website you go to says it does. Obviously, by now, I discovered that on actual hardware it doesn't have that issue
But that was 2 years ago, maybe things have changed since then

8 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

@legacyfan Have you installed an antivirus on your Vista with extended kernel yet? I would be interested in any failures as well as successes.

not yet but I will post here If i find anything

Edited by legacyfan

2 hours ago, legacyfan said:

my first test will be with avast to see if I can get it to update again (somehow)

Avast 18.8 still receives definition updates, if that’s what you mean. The only question is whether it can tolerate the current extended kernel. It was prone to cause BSODs on build 6003, but Avast created a micro-update to fix that back in 2019. In order to get that micro-update ASAP, I suggest that you use an ONLINE installer from this Avast Forum post. Good luck! :)

34 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Avast 18.8 still receives definition updates, if that’s what you mean. The only question is whether it can tolerate the current extended kernel. It was prone to cause BSODs on build 6003, but Avast created a micro-update to fix that back in 2019. In order to get that micro-update ASAP, I suggest that you use an ONLINE installer from this Avast Forum post. Good luck! :)

here is the result of installing it on vista (sorry for the blurred image i had to compress it to fit)Capture.thumb.JPG.ad063f2e940d64ff9f5e65fbf127816e.JPG

Edited by legacyfan

well my vista install just decided it wanted to break itself and now it won't boot and can't be repaired so it looks like my testing is over for now unless I find some other way to do it (I still have 10 working on a 2nd hdd thou)

22 hours ago, legacyfan said:

here is the result of installing it on vista (sorry for the blurred image i had to compress it to fit)Capture.thumb.JPG.ad063f2e940d64ff9f5e65fbf127816e.JPG

This is just freakishly funny ! What's the purpose of the *supposed to be secure* software that updates itself via non-secure http !??!?

27 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

This is just freakishly funny ! What's the purpose of the *supposed to be secure* software that updates itself via non-secure http !??!?

it was just a test to see if it was even possible to get installed

Edited by legacyfan