Windows 8.0

Jaguarek62

Hi, 

so I bought myself a present and got windows 8.0 pro sealed in box. I even built period correct computer for that. I know we have 8.0 diehards over here so my question is:

1) I updated the os and now I see "hey you should update to 8.1 or 10" message. What's the quickest way to update it with server 2012 updates andd should I be worried about anything?

2) .net framework 4.8 (is it even possible?)

3) Internet explorer (should I even bother with ie11?)

4) Windows 7 explorer on 8 is it worth trying or just stick with openshell?

Thanks

2) I am not quite into 8.0 but I think .net Framework 4.8 should definitly be compatible, since it can be installed on Vista too. I just think you have to install the one that was offered to Server 2012 R1, by modifying the installer

3) I actually used IE as my main browser till at least the end of 2017/early 2018, but I wouldn't waiste my time and patience with endlessly patching that Dinosaur. Back in the days, I desperatly tried to find ways in how to backport IE10 to Vista, but even I noticed that it won't change much. Websites will still not render properly and you can't access modern media sites, like Spotify. I mean IE11 can be sideloaded, there was a way described in this forum, but I don't think it is worth doing. Go with Edge if you really want to have IE's legacy living up, but otherwise Chrome, Opera or Firefox. 

1) Check @Jody Thornton's "Server 2012 Updates on Windows 8" topic. You will find all the information about installing Server 2012 updates on Windows 8.

4) I don't recommend it, as there are limitations with using it, so, unless you are ok with the limitations, stick with Open-Shell.

Edited by mina7601

1 hour ago, Cocodile said:

Did you try Windows 7 compatibility mode ? Or just spoof the installer.

it says that I can't be running it under compatibility mode and spoofing does not work it still detects nt 6.2 for some reason

On 1/26/2023 at 1:46 PM, Jaguarek62 said:

I updated the os and now I see "hey you should update to 8.1 or 10" message.

In the task scheduler go to \Microsoft\Windows\Setup and deactivate everything there.