Extended Kernel Compatibility With Server 2008 Updates? (Part 2)

legacyfan

I'm working on trying to collect whatever updates I might need for windows vista and the next thing I'm looking for is the essential server 2008 updates for vista sp2 if anyone knows if a download to this it would be much appreciated (I have all the normal updates saved) (the original post has now been retired)

Edited by legacyfan

13 hours ago, legacyfan said:

I'm working on trying to collect whatever updates I might need for windows vista and the next thing I'm looking for is the essential server 2008 updates for vista sp2 if anyone knows if a download to this it would be much appreciated (I have all the normal updates saved)

You should check out this repository by @greenhillmaniac:

The most "essential" updates are KB4493730, KB4474419 for extended kernel and KB4019478 - D3Dcompiler update.

16 hours ago, legacyfan said:

...the next thing I'm looking for is the essential server 2008 updates for vista sp2...

You want updates that are “needed” or “essential” for what purpose? If you just want to install the extended kernel, then TSNH is an authority (see his Guide - Vista extended kernel installation). However, if you are a security fanatic who believes that Windows must be “fully patched,” then I’m afraid it’s rather late to call yourself a “legacyfan.”

I never discuss ESU updates released after January 2020 that were intended for enterprise customers who paid for an ESU license, but I can tell you that they are ending in January 2023. You won’t find those in greenhillmaniac’s repository, which I believe was last updated in December 2019. If I understand correctly, there will soon be no current patches for anything older than Windows 10; and Microsoft never stated that patches released in previous decades are sufficient to keep Windows secure.

It is perhaps worth mentioning that Microsoft sounded an especially loud alarm about the BlueKeep vulnerability (CVE-2019-0708). It might therefore be advisable to install the update that Microsoft expressly suggested at the link. I believe the monthly rollups were cumulative, so any rollup released after May 2019 should serve just as well. For those who would rather not bother, disabling the Terminal Services service was the suggested mitigation.

1 hour ago, winvispixp said:

personally I would add the update/s that add tls 1.2 support, i think it was kb4019276 but you need to use regedit to actually enable it in internet explorer

KB4019276 was later superseded (replaced) by KB4056564, although I had no issues with the earlier update. IE9 would still be a very poor browser, but this could be helpful for any software that uses IE’s engine or relies on the OS for decryption of TLS 1.2.

4 hours ago, legacyfan said:

I'm looking for whatever updates are needed to get the extended kernel working properly on vista (not every update)

Only this one KB4474419 

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/search.aspx?q=kb4474419

7 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

I never discuss ESU updates released after January 2020 that were intended for enterprise customers who paid for an ESU license

LOL, this is a very unpopular opinion here. This time I absolutely agree with you ! 

4 hours ago, legacyfan said:

I'm looking for whatever updates are needed to get the extended kernel working properly on vista (not every update)

If you intend to use Firefox, install Windows6.0-KB2117917-x64, also.

update for DX 11 Gaming - Windows6.0-KB971512-x64.

And you're all set !

• legacyfan changed the title to what are the updates needed for thr extended kernel?
  • legacyfan changed the title to what are the updates needed for the extended kernel?
5 hours ago, D.Draker said:

If you intend to use Firefox, install Windows6.0-KB2117917-x64, also.

update for DX 11 Gaming - Windows6.0-KB971512-x64.

And you're all set !

KB971512 was a Platform Update component (one of four) and KB2117917 was Platform Update Supplement. I assumed he already had all the Vista updates in his collection, since he only asked about Server 2008 updates - but you’re right: those were the most important updates between SP2 and EOL. The IE9 standalone installer actually includes both of those.

• legacyfan changed the title to extended kernel compatibility with server 2008 updates? (Part 2)
5 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

KB971512 was a Platform Update component (one of four) and KB2117917 was Platform Update Supplement. I assumed he already had all the Vista updates in his collection, since he only asked about Server 2008 updates - but you’re right: those were the most important updates between SP2 and EOL. The IE9 standalone installer actually includes both of those.

You're absolutely right, of course ! And like you noticed before, I was trying to avoid answering about the ESU updates, but at the same time wanted to help him 'cause he asked . From what I know, yes, there is only one ESU update that allows to install the kernel right onto a clean SP2 (even without any prerequisites) ,

yet I think I'll note write its number here.

1 hour ago, D.Draker said:

You're absolutely right, of course ! And like you noticed before, I was trying to avoid answering about the ESU updates, but at the same time wanted to help him 'cause he asked . From what I know, yes, there is only one ESU update that allows to install the kernel right onto a clean SP2 (even without any prerequisites) ,

yet I think I'll note write its number here.

and I do have a collection of all the updates for vista saved (for emergency use) and the extended kernel updates are the only ones I actually needed (and I plan on using normal vista not 2008)

Edited by legacyfan