how install or use win98 on modern laptops and how can i use NTFS disks?

Joaquim

i tried install several drivers\tools for use NTFS disk without success :(

now i need uninstall them, but some aren't on 'Add/Remove Programs'... i get an Explorer error and close it or i get a Blue Screen.
anyone knows another tool for i use NTFS?

Edited by Joaquim

Ntfs has continued to evolve since the last versions of all 9x-compatible tools. You must reformat the drive to an earlier version of Ntfs using NT4 or similar.

Others options include: networking to the drive (installed in another computer or NAS box); run Linux or similar in a VM inside 9x.

DOS/9x tools have always worked on the "most common" at the time NTFS, that is the version used in 2000 and XP.

It is not a very good idea to use NT4 NTFS, as it anyway will be converted to the "new" Windows 2000 version as soon as a newer windows NT OS will access it (and this - depending on the NT4 install - may make it become inaccessble by NT4), of course this is not a problem in a DOS/9x/ME (and NT4) ONLY environment/setup. 

Read Only NTFS is "easy", and usually works fairly well, for 9x I would recommend the lesser known:

https://www.diskinternals.com/ntfs-reader/

(now "Linux Reader")

https://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

which in my experience has proved its utility several times (for recovery purposes).

The "several drivers/tools" are very likely to have created conflicts, you try ONE of them, then you uninstall/delete it, and then try another one.

Read/Write tools have their issues, though a number of them do not depend on the tool, but rather to other factors involved with large filesystems and/or large sized files on them.

Read/write there is - I believe - only  the Paragon tool still available:

https://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/Paragon-NTFS-for-Win98.shtml

jaclaz

using Paragon, i get Blue Screen :(

i getted working, before(maybe not Windows 98 UBCD).. but now i get Blue Screen :(

when i connect the external NTFS disk.

so how can i  fix it?

These kind of tools (like the Paragon one) are "low-level" enough to be likely to conflict with one of the zillion modifications/patches and what not a "modern" 9x/Me system will have, but Jumper is correct, if you are hot-plugging the disk drive, don't, hot-plug support in 9x/Me tends to be shaky at best and most of the used USB drivers are as well often not-so-stable.

jaclaz

i will try another Win98 version without updates(like win98 UBCD).
i will came back after finish ;)
but i need more info: can i create my own installation disk with drivers\updates\programs been installed automatic?

16 hours ago, Joaquim said:

but i need more info: can i create my own installation disk with drivers\updates\programs been installed automatic?

In theory, yes, in practice no, in the sense that (IMHO) the time that will be needed to create a perfectly working automated installation disk with drivers/updates/programs will take you far more time than making many (and I mean many) normal, attended, manual installations.

If you have the need to make a few tens or hundreds of installations (on exactly the same hardware, on different hardware it will be much worse), than it will be justified, if you install  or re-install every few months or so, it doesn't really makes sense, and if you have only one or a few machines, it is much more convenient to setup the system manually and then image the install.

jaclaz 

i need more 1 correction that i had tested now: i have 3 external disks( 2 inside their box and other embeeded). the 2 inside  their box are detected.. but not the other.
if i'm not mistaken, the 2 disk are IDE.. the other i don't know. maybe it's SATA and that's why the Explorer give me an error?

maybe i need the SATA drivers or something?

(the disk works on other computer)

I have 3 external drives: 1 is external and 2 are hard drives from other laptops. The 1 have 1TB and other have 500GB. These 2, internal disks on a box, works perfetly. But the other one make the Explorer give me an error.

Edited by Joaquim

The external 1TB could have uneven usage across the volume and thus there may be some areas of media that cannot be written to. If so it might be fixable but evolves a lot of correspondence talking about it. So what I would suggest is to install Paragon Partition Manager 6 and see if the drive is accessible without IO errors on your machine. With many files on the 1TB then it will take longer for explorer to open and display contents. Time taken will be also proportional to the machine's effective USB2 speed to that drive. With Paragon Partition Manager there is Partition Explorer which enables exporting of files. Remember if the 1TB is of GPT formation then it will not be accessible. Latest Paragon has a free non-commercial use software which will convert disks From MBR to GPT.

As far as installing, the cab folder files can be edited to the upgraded files. If another operating system is in use on the machine then after the first install run the rLoew vxd's can be added from that other OS, I believe it should then work but I have not done so.

how can i see if is 'MBR' or 'GPT'?

on Disk Manager, on disk properties, i see MBR. so i continue confused why win98 don't read it :(

maybe because it's an External Drive instead Disk on Box?

Edited by Joaquim