Microsoft Management Console

justacruzr2

Anybody ever try installing the MMC from Win 2k on ME using the file from MDGx?  No problem installing but there are no snap-ins.  Are they supposed to be included or are you supposed to find them somewhere or is it just a waste of time?

Hi @justacruzr2. Vanilla Windows 98 already has C:\WINDOWS\MMC.EXE, you need to add your own snap-ins. Windows 98's management tools are scattered and accessible from all sorts of places (eg. CLI, Control Panel, Programs menu).

Since i prefer, and am used, to the scatter method MMC was never used and tested here.

The Microsoft Management Console in Windows 2000: Where Management Begins

https://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=21280

Forgive format errors, researched and posted from DOS :)

Hi @justacruzr2. The MMC.EXE installed here in vanilla Windows 98 is v1.1 (1998). For whatever reason, creating a new console and selecting Add/Remove Snap-in (selectable, not greyed out) does nothing. Not sure what executable is then failing. Didn't check my other, more virgin, Windows 98 install.

Good call @UCyborg. Don't know how this non-functional shell of MMC.EXE got on my system. Perhaps i use a different Windows 98 SE release or from exploring the CD earlier.

Microsoft Windows 98
Second Edition
4.10.2222A

MMC.EXE is on my Windows 98 SE installation CD as a Resource Kit tool:
D:\tools\reskit\setup\mmc\mmc.exe

Clicking on this 'installed' MMC. Don't know whether i installed it and all components properly, OP will need to review documentation.

Regardless my system now has a functional C:\WINDOWS\MMC.EXE with a working Add/Remove Snap-in popup.

18 minutes ago, Wunderbar98 said:

Regardless my system now has a functional C:\WINDOWS\MMC.EXE with a working Add/Remove Snap-in popup.

But you just called it a:

19 minutes ago, Wunderbar98 said:

non-functional shell

And was your first response about FE or SE?

20 hours ago, Wunderbar98 said:

MMC.EXE is on my Windows 98 SE installation CD as a Resource Kit tool:
D:\tools\reskit\setup\mmc\mmc.exe

It's immc.exe, guess it stands for "Install MMC".

Running setup.exe in reskit folder also installs it.

Correct @UCyborg - IMMC.EXE and correct again, an installer.

Windows 98 SE @jumper, i don't own FE. First MMC was a non-functional shell, don't know how it got there as this is an old, seasoned install with lots of playtime. Yesterday running D:\tools\reskit\setup\mmc\immc.exe made MMC functional.

Perhaps @justacruzr2 owns Windows 98 SE. I can't confirm from this OS/browser whether it's on a Windows Me CD, someone could review contents of an Me ISO via archive[DOT]org.

Aside, no MMC on my Windows 95 CD.

8 hours ago, Wunderbar98 said:

First MMC was a non-functional shell, don't know how it got there as this is an old, seasoned install with lots of playtime.

Open the Add/Remove Programs applet and check the second tab. Is there anything saying "Computer Management" or "Desktop Management" or something similar? It may be within one of the main entries there. 

If it's not there, click on "Have disk", select the C:\Windows\INF\ folder (it is probably hidden, unhide it or just type the path manually), and check again. 

I was always wondering WTF is that, but thinking about it now it may have been MMC...

@wunderbar98

@Ucyborg

@jumper

@ RainyShadow

Hey everyone.  I was on vacation last week so I missed all your replys.  I just reinstalled 98SE on my desktop and noticed the same thing...that mmc is included on the 98SE install disk.  Haven't done it yet but it gave me the idea that it should also install on Millenniun too rather than using the mmc from 2K (which supposedly was to work also). 

• 4 weeks later...
Sorry for late reply @RainyShadow. I don't see a computer or desktop management entry. Notes below from poor memory, not sure how it relates.

As indicated earlier, running MMC installer made Microsoft Management Console functional with the ability to add snap-ins. This created an empty 'My Administrative Tools' entry in Start -> Programs.

There was also a newly observed Add/Remove Progams -> Windows Setup tab entry for 'Group Policy' (or similar). Group policy was installed and C:\WINDOWS\INF\GROUPPOL.INF information is pasted below. After install, unfortunately, Group Policy was removed from the Windows Setup tab, so no idea how to remove it. It's also not in Add/Remove programs. At present this Windows 98 computer is setup as a single user system.

; GROUPPOL.INF
;
; This is the Setup information file to install group-based policies
; as an Optional Component.
;
; Copyright (c) 1993-1998 Microsoft Corporation