Python 3.6.15 For Windows XP SP3

alexfree

@cmalex has already compiled Python 3.7 for XP more than one year ago:

As the official release of yt-dlp doesn't works on XP, I'm using this version of python for compiling yt-dlp as a temporary replacement for youtube.dl on XP. :)

No more issue for downloading from youtube website. :cheerleader:

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2022 at 10:15 PM, genieautravail said:

@cmalex has already compiled Python 3.7 for XP more than one year ago:

As the official release of yt-dlp doesn't works on XP, I'm using this version of python for compiling yt-dlp as a temporary replacement for youtube.dl on XP. :)

No more issue for downloading from youtube website. :cheerleader:

Compiling yt-dlp fails here :

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Bureaublad\yt-dlp-master>python pyinst.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "pyinst.py", line 6, in <module>
    from PyInstaller.utils.hooks import collect_submodules
  File "C:\Python37\Lib/site-packages\PyInstaller\utils\hooks\__init__.py", line
 1012, in <module>
    from .gi import *
  File "C:\Python37\Lib/site-packages\PyInstaller\utils\hooks\gi.py", line 16, i
n <module>
    from ...depend.bindepend import findSystemLibrary
  File "C:\Python37\Lib/site-packages\PyInstaller\depend\bindepend.py", line 43,
 in <module>
    import pefile
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'pefile'

And then:

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Bureaublad\yt-dlp-master>pip install pefile
Collecting pefile
  Using cached https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/ee/e1/a7bd302cf5f74547431
b4e9b206dbef782d112df6b531f193bb4a29fb1b9/pefile-2021.9.3.tar.gz
Collecting future (from pefile)
  Using cached https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/45/0b/38b06fd9b92dc2b68d5
8b75f900e97884c45bedd2ff83203d933cf5851c9/future-0.18.2.tar.gz
    ERROR: Complete output from command python setup.py egg_info:
    ERROR: Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
      File "C:\DOCUME~1\User\LOCALS~1\Temp\pip-install-pvvu2pzh\future\setup
.py", line 86, in <module>
        import src.future
    ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'src'
    ----------------------------------------
ERROR: Command "python setup.py egg_info" failed with error code 1 in C:\DOCUME~
1\User\LOCALS~1\Temp\pip-install-pvvu2pzh\future\
WARNING: You are using pip version 19.1.1, however version 21.3.1 is available.
You should consider upgrading via the 'python -m pip install --upgrade pip' comm
and.

How did you get the necessary modules?

Edited by nicolaasjan

However running yt-dlp directly from the source directory works:

python ./yt_dlp/__main__.py -v
[debug] Command-line config: ['-v']
[debug] User config "C:\Documents and Settings\Nico\Application Data\yt-dlp\config.txt": ['-i', '--no-mtime', '--add-metadata', '--embed-thumbnail', '-o', '~/Bureaublad/%(title)s.%(ext)s', '-f', 'bestvideo[height<=1080][ext=mp4]+bestaudio[ext=m4a]/best[ext=mp4]/best']
[debug] Encodings: locale cp1252, fs utf-8, out cp1252 (No ANSI), err cp1252 (No ANSI), pref cp1252
[debug] yt-dlp version 2022.01.15 [6223f67a8] (source)
[debug] Plugins: ['SamplePluginIE', 'SamplePluginPP']
[debug] Python version 3.7.1 (CPython 32bit) - Windows-XP-5.1.2600-SP3
[debug] exe versions: ffmpeg N-105053-gc417616-Reino (setts,fdk), ffprobe N-105053-gc417616-Reino
[debug] Optional libraries: mutagen, sqlite, websockets
[debug] Proxy map: {}
Usage: __main__.py [OPTIONS] URL [URL...]

__main__.py: error: You must provide at least one URL.
Type yt-dlp --help to see a list of all options.

• 1 month later...
On 1/1/2022 at 8:02 PM, Montana Slim said:

Am I correct in thinking you need Cygwin installed to even run this? Maybe why nobody replied to your reddit winxp post...

Not neccesarily, it should be possible to copy the required cygwin dlls into the same directory as the the python3.6m.exe

• 3 months later...
On 2/28/2022 at 1:05 AM, alexfree said:

I had no issues using dlp with my python. Also the 3.6.15 is newer then 3.7.1 from a year ago (not in version number but release date).

Finally got it working. :)

Just copied over the entire 'Lib' and 'Scripts' directories from a Python 3.7 x86 install on Windows Vista (with Pyinstaller 3.5).

Only had to omit the websockets module because of an error (edited the file 'pyinst.py' in the source).

[debug] Command-line config: ['-vU']
[debug] User config "C:\Documents and Settings\Nico\Application Data\yt-dlp\config.txt": ['--no-mtime', '--add-metadata', '--embed-thumbnail', '--convert-thumbnails', 'jpg', '--ppa', 'ffmpeg:-metadata synopsis=""', '-o', '~/Desktop/%(title)s.%(ext)s', '-f', 'bestvideo[height<=1080][ext=mp4][vcodec!*=av01]+bestaudio[ext=m4a]/best[ext=mp4]/best', '--downloader', 'aria2c', '--downloader-args', 'aria2c:-x 10 -s 10 -j 10 -k 1M --log-level=info --file-allocation=none']
[debug] Encodings: locale cp1252, fs utf-8, pref cp1252, out cp1252 (No VT), error cp1252 (No VT), screen cp1252 (No VT)
[debug] yt-dlp version 2022.06.24 [379a4f161] (win32_exe)
[debug] Python version 3.7.1 (CPython 32bit) - Windows-XP-5.1.2600-SP3
[debug] Checking exe version: ffmpeg -bsfs
[debug] Checking exe version: ffprobe -bsfs
[debug] exe versions: ffmpeg N-106824-gf3b7ba2-Reino (fdk,setts), ffprobe N-106824-gf3b7ba2-Reino
[debug] Optional libraries: Cryptodome-3.15.0, brotli-1.0.9, certifi-2022.06.15, mutagen-1.45.1, sqlite3-2.6.0
[debug] Proxy map: {}
[debug] Fetching release info: https://api.github.com/repos/yt-dlp/yt-dlp/releases/latest
Latest version: 2022.06.22.1, Current version: 2022.06.24
yt-dlp is up to date (2022.06.24)

[Edit]

Dropped 3.7 in favour of 3.8. 🙂

Link in my signature now points to yt-dlp built with Python 3.8.

See this thread.

Edited by nicolaasjan

• 10 months later...

The link to alexfree's website where you can obtain the source code is broken, so I have uploaded it to my 4Shared account from where you can download winxp_python3.6.15-src.zip.  I have succeeded in compiling it according to the instructions given in readme.txt, and I would be interested in reading about other people's experience of doing the compile.

I am mainly concerned about identifying where are the components of this Python 3.6 are located because as far as I can tell they are scattered around both Cygwin and the source folder.  Once I identify them I ought to be able to assemble them into a package that can be archived or shared.  As far as I can tell this python can be run outside of Cygwin as it is linked to a few Cygwin dlls such as Cygwin1.dll, Cygintl-8dll and Cyggcc_5-1.dll which can be included in the distribution.