StartAllBack for Windows 11

Tihiy

Hey @Tihiy I frequently have this issue. I connect to a machine over RDP frequently (it's a VM on a headless server) and this happens upon connection and requires an explorer restart to fix. Is this something that can be patched in a future update. It's been happening for quite a few versions now. I can also repro it by resizing the taskbar icons in startallbackcfg.exe.

image.png.90357598b8c80812db0c9677348b6897.png

Edited by mackid1993

17 hours ago, Tihiy said:

That's NetWorx or some s*** like that doing

You are right, it is Networx!

@Tihiy as always you are the man! I looked and there was a patch released for Networx and it's now fixed!! This wasn't even your problem and you really helped me. Thanks so much as always. Grateful for you!! :) 

Edit: Spoke too soon, it started happening again. I opened a report with the Networx devs.

Edit 1: I figured out Networx has a dll (networx.dll) that is loaded to help with the taskbar graph on Windows 11. This can be renamed or deleted with some minor side effects that don't seem to matter on the classic taskbar. That has fixed this issue. I passed this info on to the devs at SoftPerfect, they are pretty responsive and hopefully can fix it.

Edited by mackid1993

Startallback causes BURN IN on OLED monitors!

When auto hide taskbar is enabled, the top of the taskbar is still visible when it's hidden. This was fixed for the Windows 11 taskbar when OLED monitors came out, but it was never fixed in StartAllBack.

image.thumb.png.5cf10d57fb1ad240a688332ad464acce.png

Attached is an image example. I set the taskbar colour to green.

6 hours ago, geneticplasma said:

Task is already disabled, but SAB did an update check instead.

Honestly it's not a good idea to disable updates. Tihiy usually patches bugs before a Windows update will break things.

10 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

Honestly it's not a good idea to disable updates. Tihiy usually patches bugs before a Windows update will break things.

On the other side it's useless to check for updates each startup, when updates are provided about every 3 months or longer.

I regularly check website for updates by hand.

But of course it's legit, to have different opinions for such a case. For that normally software provides an option to enable/disable auto update, so everyone is able to decide by himself.

Edited by geneticplasma

@Tihiy I did some more testing and it seems the issue with Networx is isolated to SAB. I tested with both Windows 10 fresh install as well as Explorer Patcher on Windows 11 and wasn't able to reproduce in those environments. I then installed SAB 3.6.16 with the old system tray was also not able to reproduce. It seems that this issue is a compatibility one with the new system tray. I'm attaching a screen recording that shows the steps for reproduction. I also let SoftPerfect know but I have a feeling they are going to tell me that it's an issue with SAB and not their product as the issue only occurs when using SAB.

Edit: I just want to add that I believe it has something to do with networx.dll

Edited by mackid1993

We don't need no water.

Are you not going to fix it? What does this even mean? Why don't you just make it stop rendering the taskbar once it's fully hidden?

Edited by Ten2O

7 hours ago, Ten2O said:

Are you not going to fix it? What does this even mean? Why don't you just make it stop rendering the taskbar once it's fully hidden?

Taskbar and letting it burn has been around for ~30 years as is, have some respect.

18 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

I did some more testing and it seems the issue with Networx is isolated to SAB. I tested with both Windows 10 fresh install as well as Explorer Patcher on Windows 11 and wasn't able to reproduce in those environments. I then installed SAB 3.6.16 with the old system tray was also not able to reproduce. It seems that this issue is a compatibility one with the new system tray. I'm attaching a screen recording that shows the steps for reproduction. I also let SoftPerfect know but I have a feeling they are going to tell me that it's an issue with SAB and not their product as the issue only occurs when using SAB.

Edit: I just want to add that I believe it has something to do with networx.dll

I just wanted to follow up, so sorry to bother. Is this something possible to fix on the SAB side or should I pursue this with SoftPerfect. I'm just not sure which app is the culprit and any help is always appreciated.

Thank you!!

Another problem I noticed: when connected with Remote Desktop, the Start Menu → Power button default action setting doesn't work (it always resets to Log off, even if I choose Disconnect or Lock, the only other two options offered in power button's menu).

1 hour ago, ender` said:

Another problem I noticed: when connected with Remote Desktop, the Start Menu → Power button default action setting doesn't work (it always resets to Log off, even if I choose Disconnect or Lock, the only other two options offered in power button's menu).

That's how it was in Windows 7, I'd assume this is expected behavior.

18 hours ago, Ten2O said:

The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire! We don't need no water—Let the ****** burn! This is what @Tihiy was referring to.....

Taskbar and letting it burn has been around for ~30 years as is, have some respect.

Simply making an option that sets the opacity of the background to 0 when it's hidden doesn't sound hard to me but whatever. Guess I'm stuck with translucentTB.