do you plan on continuing to use windows xp? (community poll by vistaex)

legacyfan

do you plan on continuing to use Windows xp? (community poll by vistaex)  

49 members have voted

1. 1. do you plan on continuing to use Windows xp? (community poll)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 03:30 PM

I'll keep it going on my 2 Dell Towers on 'bare metal' - they are so old they don't even plug in to the wall - they have a crank in the back :D

Seriously though..

To keep our outdated systems running, we have to 'cripple' much of it and can no longer do what we used to back in its "heyday". I run a pretty basic limited slim installation now.

Yeah.. same here - XP is more-or-less for nostalgia sake and project to keep me on my toes :)

Edited by XPerceniol

I will use the operating system for as long as I have old computers compatible with it where XP is the best fit, and the increased resource consumption of anything newer would be felt. To throw out a working computer as out of date, or cripple it with bloat to make it so, is an unreasonable proposal. Old applications run on WinXP, and are also much faster. As long as I don't need to exchange bleeding edge file formats with other people, this software serves me better because, in addition to its speed and efficiency, I have also learnt to use it well. It does not require new redistributables or frameworks, or mandatory online components. If I have a goal of using a spreadsheet or encoding video, I default to the oldest tool that can accomplish that. The files produced will also be compatible with the most computer systems, either old or new.

I was expecting to have to switch over years earlier. But somehow I never really did. All the tricks shared on places like this made the difference.

Installed and tweaked newer Windows 7 and 10 for people at work, but then got fed-up with it pretty soon, and booted-up XP x86 for myself again.

Did install a Linux x64 multiboot like 6 months ago on my main PC. Made it look like Windows XP with Classic UI, including bitmapped font rendering, including all the file icons. I use it sometimes for little things. I am happy with the multiboot setup, the switchover time is not bad (shutdown and reboot). Still have a big list of things that I cannot do in Linux though, or do as fast as in Windows XP.

For work I will eventually need a Windows 7 x64 multiboot as well, maybe even 10, though I would rather never use 10...

• legacyfan changed the title to do you plan on continuing to use windows xp? (community poll by vistaex)
  • 3 weeks later...
  • legacyfan changed the title to do you plan on continuing to use windows xp? (community poll by vistaex)
  • dencorso locked this topic