98SE install prep for Dell Latitude D830

beansmuggler

9 hours ago, beansmuggler said:

I've run AHCIMAP and it says my machine supports 3 drives rather than 4 or 6. Does anyone have a version of the .INF for 3 drives?

Didn't your BIOS turn off the unused ports after the last settings reset anyways?

Try the 4 port file and disable the inactive ports in Device manager.

Or you can remove these lines and save it as AHCI3.inf :

%MF\AHCI3.DeviceDesc% = GOODAHCI, MF\AHCI3

HKR,Child0003,HardwareID,,MF\AHCI3
HKR,Child0003,ResourceMap,1,00,01,02,03,04,05,06,07
HKR,Child0003,MFFlags,1,0C,00,00,00

MF\AHCI3.DeviceDesc= "AHCI Port 3"

Edited by RainyShadow

5 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

Didn't your BIOS turn off the unused ports after the last settings reset anyways?

Try the 4 port file and disable the inactive ports in Device manager.

Or you can remove these lines and save it as AHCI3.inf :

%MF\AHCI3.DeviceDesc% = GOODAHCI, MF\AHCI3

HKR,Child0003,HardwareID,,MF\AHCI3
HKR,Child0003,ResourceMap,1,00,01,02,03,04,05,06,07
HKR,Child0003,MFFlags,1,0C,00,00,00

MF\AHCI3.DeviceDesc= "AHCI Port 3"

I tried re-enabling stuff like internal bluetooth/cellular (dont even know if this thing has it, but they default to Enabled) and turning the i394/Card option back on to see if it would detect anything more, it it was still at 3, so I tried just using the 4 port version. It works fine, but oddly enough, it ports 2 and 3 give me a Code 10 with a yellow exclamation point instead of only 3. The primary and secondary storage controllers under the Standard IDE/Intel Ultra ATA controller (I ran the install with none of the custom INFs this time, so I tried adding them, but the yellow marks were still there) have the same warning. There were two other problems, but they were done away with by just uninstalling the problem drivers (they didnt come in the right order or werent there in the first place). The Performance tab still has my file system saying some drives are using MS DOS compatibility. I decided to check the Details area, and it says "Compatibility-mode paging reduces overall system performance", and that Drives A and C are using MSDOS compatibility mode file system. Under Details for the paging thing, it says it couldn't identify something in config.sys or autoexec, but the only thing in either of those is HIMEMX in config.sys (setver isnt there anymore for some reason)

1 hour ago, deomsh said:

Your story is vague for me.

Please show full CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT.

Is the C-drive IDE?

AUTOEXEC is empty. This is CONFIG.SYS:

DEVICE=C:\HIMEMX.EXE /MAX=523264

For whatever reason, the setver command that usually gets placed there by default has gone missing. The HIMEMX line was below it, but now it's the only thing in the file, with no evidence that setver was there. I'm not sure if I've ever had that happen before.

I'm pretty sure the drive is IDE, but since I'm still pretty clueless on hardware, here is the front and back of the thing:

photo_2021-01-30_19-49-45.jpg

photo_2021-01-30_19-49-48.jpg

5 hours ago, beansmuggler said:

I'm pretty sure the drive is IDE

This is SATA, see the connector. D830 don't have IDE HDD ports, it has one SATA port for the HDD and one in the Media bay (CD/DVD, etc.)

Maybe @deomsh asked if the SATA option in BIOS is set to IDE (ATA) emulation?

4 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

Maybe @deomsh asked if the SATA option in BIOS is set to IDE (ATA) emulation?

Thanks @RainyShadow, but I asked that earlier, before he switched to RLoew's AHCI-driver, BIOS should be in AHCI-mode now.

According to the earlier picture of Device Manager there are TWO harddisk controllers and ONE standard IDE 55 disk and ONE Primary controller with yellow exclamation mark.

I would like to see a new picture, of the current configuration. Devices viewed by Connection, with all harddisk connections visible.

Edited by deomsh
Typo

Sorry about delay. Trying to upload pics right now and the uploads are failing. I reinstalled again but with MaxPhysPage=20000 instead of HIMEMX and I'm still at the same place as before. Will upload as soon as it works again.

edit: also i disabled PCcard/1394 trying to get rid of the MS-DOS compatibility mode warning stuff, but sadly it was of no effect

Edited by beansmuggler

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2021 at 8:32 PM, beansmuggler said:

Sorry about delay. Trying to upload pics right now and the uploads are failing. I reinstalled again but with MaxPhysPage=20000 instead of HIMEMX and I'm still at the same place as before. Will upload as soon as it works again.

edit: also i disabled PCcard/1394 trying to get rid of the MS-DOS compatibility mode warning stuff, but sadly it was of no effect

Ok, here they are:

photo_2021-03-19_20-53-38.jpg

photo_2021-03-19_20-53-40.jpg

photo_2021-03-19_20-53-42.jpg

If you really have only ONE harddrive (the one you showed in a picture earlier), I do not understand the 'Intel ICH8M Ultra ATA Storage Controllers' entry. The AHCI-controller looks 'good'.

Just a wild guess: search in your in INF-folder for the phrase 'Intel ICH8M....' and rename the INF-file (with extension 'BAK' or whatever you like).

Then remove 'Intel ICH8M Ultra ATA Storage Controllers' in Device Manager and reboot.

B.T.W. If the other Intel-devices are mentioned in the same INF-file, remove them too before reboot.

On 3/20/2021 at 7:04 AM, deomsh said:

If you really have only ONE harddrive (the one you showed in a picture earlier), I do not understand the 'Intel ICH8M Ultra ATA Storage Controllers' entry. The AHCI-controller looks 'good'.

Just a wild guess: search in your in INF-folder for the phrase 'Intel ICH8M....' and rename the INF-file (with extension 'BAK' or whatever you like).

Then remove 'Intel ICH8M Ultra ATA Storage Controllers' in Device Manager and reboot.

B.T.W. If the other Intel-devices are mentioned in the same INF-file, remove them too before reboot.

Done! (file was the modded MSHDC.INF from the intel driver pack mentioned before). It's the same as before, but now with "PCI IDE Controller" floating as a yellow question mark between PCI Card and PCI Universal Serial Bus.

On 3/20/2021 at 10:18 AM, RainyShadow said:

Maybe select "Properties" on the "Computer" entry and check for resource conflicts?

I don't think I found any, but I only ever know one when Device Manager explicitly states it.

Edited by beansmuggler

I was checking over things and noticed that the readme for the AHCI driver said: "If your BIOS sets the Controller to AHCI but does not enable it, this Driver cannot be used." How can I know if this is happening in my case?

Also, is it worth trying the AHCILDR tool to fix any potential BIOS problems that could be causing the weird behavior?

You could try running Hard Disk Sentinel for DOS, it shows the controller type before checking the drives.

I am not sure what it means for a controller to be set as AHCI, but not enabled.

Is it AHCI in Compatible vs. Native mode as it is worded in some BIOS setups?

Or it means that just the port is disabled? Your Dell should have this setting, but since the HDD boots it is enabled already.

Here's what I got from Sentinel. It also tried to detect F6DFB800/0, something that moves too fast for me to get a picture, 01F0-01F7/1, 0170-0177/0, and 0170-0177/1, but those passed by without providing any information. The "1 bad sector" and "spare area" notes showed up each time I ran it.

photo_2021-03-26_16-28-19.jpg

Edited by beansmuggler