Share your experience of using Windows 7 !!

Win10-Hater

Hello all, this is a thread created by me for you fellow MSFN users to share your Windows 7 PC specs and your experience of using Win7. I have created a similar thread on the Windows Vista forum, check it out if you have not already. I've posted my PC specs there.

BTW, I used Windows 7 from 2016 to 2017 on the home desktop back when I was a complete computer noob, and then moved on to Windows 10 for a short time, before coming back to Win7. Now I have Vista on that desktop. Also, I used Windows 7 on a Dell Inspiron 15 3567 (i3-6006u) from April this year till last month, when I moved on to Windows 8.1, which I found faster than 7. Still, 7 was superfast and ran waaay better than Win10, which came as an OEM copy with the Inspiron. Now I have Win7 on a VM that I use for learning a little older computer-related stuff from around 2009-2012 and using Office 2007 when I need it. 

1079919931_win7vmdesktop.thumb.JPG.bf91542466c02a7b83a3b608fb863b34.JPG

Edited by Win10-Hater

I started to use Windows 7 from last year until recently when I moved to Windows 8.1 because of Windows 7 EOS and dropping program support. I am a small kid lol, so I don't do very much with my computer, except for writing documents, drawing on paint and now, attending online classes. Windows 7 was wonderful for me when I used it and I loved it, while I hated Windows 10. My specs:

Dell Inspiron 15 3559

Intel Core i3 6006u

4 GB RAM

1 TB HDD

This computer was verrrrrrry slow with Windows 10, but superfast with Windows 7. 8.1 is faster still.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't had a very good experience with Windows 7. My first computer was an Azer (I don't know the spex) and it has Windows 7. It worked fine, but I don't remember how but I broke it, maybe a program or maybe the computer. Before that, I had Windows 7 in my today's daily computer (a Toshiba Satellite C855 with an I5 processor and 8GB of RAM). I didn't has a good experience using Windows 7, I remember it so slow and again, I accidentally broke it. Before that, I had Win7 on an Airish computer with 1GB of RAM and it also was verrrrrrrrrrry slow. So, I hate Windows 7 and newer Windows versions, but Win8.1 is quite faster.

I have used it since c2q system I had with dualbooting xp. Now I run it on following: Asrock b450 gaming k4 ATX, AMD Ryzen 2700X, 2x16gb crucial ballistic@2666mhz, Radeon RX580 8GB then 1tb wd NVME ssd to boot. Used AMD own usb driver then microsoft generic nvme driver windows 7 (which is now removed to prevent peoples using win7) and got linux mint as dualboot. After getting stable ram OC have not had issues that some spread as FUD online from running win7 on ryzen (Overheating, crashing, low performance etc.). For monitor got Dell ultrasharp 2407WFP with 1920x1200 resolution that is hooked to kvm (I use same keyboard monitor to my xp and win7/linux system)

• 11 months later...

Good. I started using Windows 7 in 2014, still using same computer. I didn't use any version other than 7 before 2021. I used XP too but i couldn't use it so much. After my motherboard got burned, i started using Windows 8.1. I still use Windows 7 but, i am busy so i couldn't use it a lot.

Edited by husara1

• 7 months later...

Great would be an understatement, though it was of course not without a learning curve as all new systems are.  That being said, I essentially went straight from win ME to 7 when the first beta rolled out and been using some version of 7 ever since.  I did toy with vista a bit but got frustrated with the compatibility issues with hardware causing instability and ended up going back to ME on that machine (Athlonxp 3800+) until the first beta of 7 came out.    I still use windows 7, and after having briefly experienced 8 8.1 and 10 on new laptops (now upgraded to 7) I can honestly say I will be using windows 7 forever.  If such a time comes that it becomes so tedious to even get internet browsing and email working, as had happened on ME, then I will just move to linux.

Comparing to other os's (windows) 7 is faster, looks nicer (except vista which looks just as nice) and runs smoother, and on a wider variety of hardware than any other windows.
It also doesn't have the hardware issues that plagued both ME and Vista, and provided you omit the telemetry KBxxxx updates doesn't have the spyware stuff that newer windows has.

so to summarize,  fast, stable, and compatible.  the compatibility mode for older programs works pretty well most of the time too.

I've had it on old and new hardware alike, from the Athlonxp (beta builds) to a relatively modern fx9850 with r9 390x graphics, and pretty much everything in between with no issues.

I would recommend 7 to anyone very highly.

The only real complaint I have is there seems to be no way to get certain old games (specifically Mechwarrior 3 and pirates moon) to run on 7 that I have found, so I have to keep an old Athlon xp machine with ME on it set up for that game. other than that, I've had no issues with 7 whatsoever. :)

It's great and everything working as it should be. Old games running without a requirement of "feature install", DX hook graphic mods are compatible unlike the newer versions, no high HDD usage, no excessive RAM/CPU usage, no "application recommendations" on Start menu, no inconsistent context menu design, no telemetry tweaks required, no "TPM & 8th gen CPU" requirement, no internet connection & MS Account required to set it up, no forced updates, no "This PC" (why, isn't that My PC?), no useless & slow UWP applications as Windows Photo Viewer, Windows Movie Player & Calculator replacements, No OneDrive which runs in background by default, no forcibly enabled & CPU hungry Windows Defender, no ugly flat icons, has REAL Classic Style unlike Win 8's "Aero Basic recolor", no lockscreen as if it's either a phone or a tablet, no ugly & crowded Ribbon UI on Explorer, no ugly flat color Windows icon, no requirement of using two different apps for settings, no annoying sound effects, disable UAC easier, has a Start menu which is simple and useful, doesn't remove personal files after applying updates, doesn't annoy you when installing another browser, going to recovery and other start options just requires to press F8 before boot process, much stable, no bloatware/having two different applications for one purpose, Installing language packs offline is much easier, you can access Sound Enhancements faster, doesn't "require" SSD for smooth usage, has AGP support, last Windows to support 32-bit only processors, still able to run modern browsers (Even MS had to support it through their Edge), installing .NET Framework 3.5.1 doesn't require Windows install media because it's enabled by default, Half-Life 1.1.1.0 works better than it does in XP, handling of larger image files in native programs is better than how it was in XP, although it was based on Vista it was optimized greatly so it runs better on the same old hardware, more customizable than the newer releases, Wi-Fi network menu doesn't cover a whole lot of right edge of the screen, Task Manager is much smaller than its newer counterpart while fully expanded & no collapsed view by default, and yeah, that's my experience of Windows 7 when compared to other versions of Windows.