Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

I'm pretty sure you can run a VM from a partition, because I've seen prompts implying you can set up a VM to run that way, but I've no personal experience doing that - all those I've set up have been created on virtual hard drives (.vmdk files).

-Noel

7 minutes ago, NoelC said:

I'm pretty sure you can run a VM from a partition, because I've seen prompts implying you can set up a VM to run that way, but I've no personal experience doing that - all those I've set up have been created on virtual hard drives (.vmdk files).

-Noel

Usually not really "from a partition" but surely connecting a \\.\Physicaldrive to a VM it is possible.

Specifically in VMware it is possible to use only one (or selected) partition(s) of the "connected" physical disk to the VM:

https://www.vmware.com/support/ws5/doc/ws_disk_add_raw.html

It is not however the "best" idea around to run an existing install (needs specific testing because the virtualized hardware may be largely different from the host's one, so unless the OS install is something *like* Windows To Go it is likely that there will be driver issues).

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

1 hour ago, NoelC said:

Right, my mistake with the terminology.  I should have said "Volume".

-Noel

Well, in this case "volume" is even worse than partition. :w00t::ph34r:

What you connect to the VM is always the whole device, the disk or \\.\PhysicalDrive, then VMware (but not all other VM's) allows to chose which partitions (and not volumes) to be accessible/usable inside the VMware VM.

The volume - particularly if NTFS - is "inside" the partition.

Disk (whole thing) contains partition(s) that contain volume(s).

What is connected to the VM is the whole thing BUT the specific VMware has a trick or two that "filters" the MBR partition entries to only show the selected partitions.

jaclaz

I've been doing all this responding from (quite clearly flawed) memory, as I'm working on other things.  I did mention never actually having chosen the option.

THIS is the option to which I was referring - and you're right - it's the physical disk.

VMWareDiskOption.png

Thank you for the corrections.  Note to self:  Don't rely on the old brain cells; do the research before answering.

-Noel

24 minutes ago, NoelC said:

Note to self:  Don't rely on the old brain cells; do the research before answering.

Well don't put you too down either, wait at least until you (hopefully not) meet that German gentleman I continue to forget his name Alfred, Al something ... ;)

jaclaz

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2016 at 10:22 PM, NoelC said:

For a Windows host you would need VMware Player or VMware Workstation.

I run Win XP, Vista, 7, 8.1, and 10 in VMs on my Win 8.1 host as needed.  Once you've discovered the advantages of virtualization you can't imagine having not had it.

-Noel

Another thank you to finish out this year.  The Dell laptop now has VMware Player installed under Host Windows 7 Pro and has guest LinuxMint 18.1 installed and running.

It is surprising that MS has provided a reasonable crap blocker for W10 insider releases with its Microsoft Basic Display Driver.  The 14986 Cumulative Update installed with no problems with MS Basic Display driver that replaced the normal driver installed during the standard insider release update.  Happy New Year :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...