[SOLVED] Elan PS/2 Touchpad Driver for XP

Dave-H

10 hours ago, dencorso said:

+1... Il meglio è nemico del bene... :whistle:

On the other hand:

Non ha il palio se non chi corre. :whistle:

@Dave-H

A I see it, specifically there are maybe three quarters of the functions that serve no useful purposes but there are a few that - should they work - seem very useful.

And - besides - in theory we need not any particularly fancy control panel, we can use *any* of them (now that they all work) and supplement them (or replace them) with .reg files ot reg.exe commands.

Of all the various ones, the best one (IMHO) is anyway the Aniconf.exe, as it is the one that actually "respects" the Registry settings (more or less), with possibly the only "missing" option being that of (with UI_Theme=5) to use the Tap_One_Finger_Enable, which seems like a "better" option as it allows to disable the one finger tap but - at least in theory - still allow to use 2 and 3 finger taps.

Additionally, it is the easier to trace as changes in its settings are immediately, one by one, reflected in the Registry, whilst the other ones write to the registry the whole lot of keys.

Anyway, it is only up to you.

Attached is a scheme on how the various setting in SmartPadDisplay affect the various ETDAniconf.exe (I rduced them to only three versions as they are representative of the other ones).

jaclaz

SmartDisplay.zip

I feel a bit shamed now, you're still putting so much time and effort into this, and I'm talking about giving up!

I agree with you about ETDAniConf, if it can be fully implemented it is probably the best control panel to go with, in terms of looks and versatility.
If we use it instead of ETDSimpleUI it will dispense with the AVI video files bloat, and get rid of any dependence on .NET being installed, which is surely a good thing!
I guess the other Elan control panel, the one inside ETDmcpl.dll, will always have to be there as that file will probably always be needed, but it doesn't need to be visible.
However, I've never seen ETDAniConf launch from the Mouse Properties "Options" tab, it always seems to be the ETDmcpl.dll one.
That's probably the first thing to fix if we're going to use ETDAniConf.
:)

Edited by Dave-H
Correction

26 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

I feel a bit shamed now, you're still putting so much time and effort into this, and I'm talking about giving up!

You don't have to, it is just "fun".

20 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

However, I've never seen ETDAniConf launch from the Mouse Properties "Options" tab, it always seems to be the ETDCpl.dll one.
That's probably the first thing to fix if we're going to use ETDAniConf.

Yep, this something still to solve, as it works just fine here with UI_Theme=1, and we still have the possibility of the separate added link "ETD Touchpad" in Control Panel.

Filemon (when clicking on "Options" in the added to the Mouse Control Panel Elan Tab:

15.13.33	rundll32.exe:2728	FASTIO_QUERY_OPEN	C:\Programmi\Elantech\ETDAniConf.exe	SUCCESS	Attributes: A	
15.13.33	rundll32.exe:2728	FASTIO_QUERY_OPEN	C:\Programmi\Elantech\ETDAniConf.exe	SUCCESS	Attributes: A	
15.13.33	rundll32.exe:2728	FASTIO_QUERY_BASIC_INFO	C:\Programmi\Elantech\ETDAniConf.exe	SUCCESS	Attributes: A	
15.13.33	rundll32.exe:2728	FASTIO_QUERY_STANDARD_INFO	C:\Programmi\Elantech\ETDAniConf.exe	SUCCESS	Length: 7388560	
15.13.33	rundll32.exe:2728	FASTIO_QUERY_STANDARD_INFO	C:\Programmi\Elantech\ETDAniConf.exe	SUCCESS	Length: 7388560	
15.13.33	ETDAniConf.exe:5624	FASTIO_QUERY_OPEN	C:\Programmi\Elantech\WINMM.dll	NOT FOUND	Attributes: Error	
15.13.33	ETDAniConf.exe:5624	FASTIO_QUERY_OPEN	C:\WINDOWS\system32\WINMM.dll	SUCCESS	Attributes: A	

jaclaz

At least here, I can set UI_Theme=5 (so that there is no added Mouse Control Panel Tab and the driver is using the ASUS ID) and using the attached .reg I have the additional "Elan Touchpad" Control Panel item that loads ETDAniconf.exe without seemingly any need for ETDmcpl.dll.

Of course this way a separate script (or .reg file) is needed to flip on/off the Tap_One_Finger_Enable value (that is the one used with UI_Theme=5 BUT that is not among the settings that ETDAniconf.exe can change.

jaclaz

ControlPanelAddition.zip

At the moment, your INF doesn't add ETDAniConf.exe to the Elantech folder.
Perhaps it needs to be modified to include it.

Incidentally, the machine hanging for about 90 seconds on "loading your personal settings" was no better when the driver was uninstalled, so is nothing to do with this!

8 hours ago, Dave-H said:

At the moment, your INF doesn't add ETDAniConf.exe to the Elantech folder.
Perhaps it needs to be modified to include it.

Sure it doesn't, at the time I proposed it we were after ETDmcpl, but I left (casually) the 

[ETDCpl.CopyFiles]

section in the .inf, so it is just a matter of adding it there and in [SourceDisksFiles].

Then we need to add the 

[ETD_ControlPanel.AddReg]

(like in the Samsung driver) with the settings of the last posted .reg, to have rhe "added" Elan Touchpad Control Panel item.

Post the last version of the .inf you have, and I will try and add these settings.

8 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Incidentally, the machine hanging for about 90 seconds on "loading your personal settings" was no better when the driver was uninstalled, so is nothing to do with this!

Good :), but you can still revert to a previously saved Registry via Erunt, cannot you? (only to see if something is still there that wasn't before).

jaclaz

Ok, try the attached.

I set the UI_Theme and Customer_definition to 5, and the default for Tap_One_Finger_Enable to 1, adding two .reg files that can flip the value Off/On.

If it works, it has to be decided which default values need to be set for SmartPadDisplay items and Show_item values in SmartPad.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz
Removed botched attachment

Sorry for the delay, I'm sorting out some Windows 8.1 issues at the moment!
I'll try installing the XP driver with that INF later on and get back to you.
Cheers, Dave.

OK, I installed the driver with the new INF.
It seems to work fine, now with the Asus-style icon in the system tray as expected.
There is no access to any settings now though through the Windows UI.
The "tap to click" function can now be switched off and on with your registry files, the fly in the ointment being that you have to reboot for the behaviour to actually change!
:dubbio:

54 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

There is no access to any settings now though through the Windows UI.

What do you mean?

You should have an "Elantech Touchpad" item in Control Panel (that runs ETDAniconf.exe)

If you don't there is some issue in the new .inf I made.

Is the Aniconf.exe present in the \Programs\Elantech folder?

Are the Registry keys in:

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ControlPanel\NameSpace\{3EA22083-D5BF-411b-A6D6-A27541794266}

HKCR,CLSID\{3EA22083-D5BF-411b-A6D6-A27541794266}

Correct?

54 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

The "tap to click" function can now be switched off and on with your registry files, the fly in the ointment being that you have to reboot for the behaviour to actually change!

It should work also if you stop the ETDCtrl.exe running and use the Touchpad item in Control Panel (or that is not there?) to start ETDAniconf.exe, AFAICU as soon as ETDAniconf.exe is run the ETDctrl.exe is started again.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

No, there is nothing extra in the Windows Control Panel.
Aniconf.exe isn't in the Elantech folder.
The only difference from before is that ETDmcpl.dll is no longer there.
Those registry entries aren't there either, so none of that has worked for some reason.

Edited by Dave-H
Typo

Something queer is happening.

ETDAniconf.exe is in the .inf just fine, BUT re-checking the .inf I put it in the "wrong" section :blushing: (actually right section but wrong destination dir).

You probably have a new copy of it in the System dirctory, my bad.:ph34r:

But the Registry addition seems fine :dubbio:, for some reasons the ETD_ControlPanel.AddReg section is not run or not "taken" by the Registry.

But why? :unsure:

I'll do a couple tests.

jaclaz

OK, besides the issue with the file, I missed a comma (and I was suffering from an evident tunnel vision or selective blindness as I could not see that it was missing).

The new attachment should do now (I am removing the "old" ETD_newinf.zip I posted earlier).

jaclaz

ETD_newinf.zip