D3D12On7

UCyborg

DIY, we-don't-owe-you-anything-article from Microsoft.

"This sample showcases how to use D3D12 on Windows 7, also known as D3D12On7. Specifically, this sample demonstrates how to write an app that supports running with Direct3D 12 both on Windows 7 ... with the same packaging layout and executable."

"D3D12 doesn't exist on Windows 7 in such a way that you can do that. Instead, apps that want to use D3D12 on Windows 7 need to redistribute the D3D12.dll file, along with supporting binaries."

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/samples/microsoft/directx-graphics-samples/d3d12-12-on-7-sample-win32/

Just like DX11 had versions 11, 11.1 and 11.2, DX12 has different versions. 12(11_0) = DX11.1 - Nvidia 7*0, not a real DX12. 12(11_1) = DX11.2 - Radeon HD7**0, 12(12_0) = DX 11.2 - Nvidia 9*0, this version was called real DX12 after its release, it seems to be the same version in GTX10*0, GTX16*0, RTX20*0. And the newest DX12(12_2), RTX30*0, RTX40*0 and RX7*00. All data taken from GPU-Z.

4 hours ago, ED_Sln said:

DX11.1 - Nvidia 7*0, not a real DX12.

Wrong, go to NVCPL and open "system properties", 700 series only had 11.0, and 11.1 was probably advertised only as a software emulation. In all, a pure marketing gimmick.

I'm posting this screenshot from EVGA SC 780 ACX V.2 (on updated chip GK110B), I found it in a dumpster a couple of years ago.

780.png

14 hours ago, ED_Sln said:

it seems to be the same version in GTX10*0, GTX16*0, RTX20*0

Care to share, have you had any luck with Elden Ring or similar titles on Win7 + DX12 bypass? Thanks.

17 hours ago, Dixel said:

Wrong, go to NVCPL and open "system properties", 700 series only had 11.0, and 11.1 was probably advertised only as a software emulation. In all, a pure marketing gimmick.

But Nvidia's help claims that DX12 is supported even in Kepler and Fermi: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3711/~/which-nvidia-gpus-will-support-dx12%3F

spacer.pngspacer.png

But all this is of course marketing, there is no DX12 there.

6 hours ago, Dixel said:

Care to share, have you had any luck with Elden Ring or similar titles on Win7 + DX12 bypass? Thanks.

I'm not a gamer, so I didn't check out the games. I know for sure World Of Warcraft and Cyberpunk 2077 before some update support DX12 in Win 7. But I compiled the D3D12On7 test and it works for me.

5 hours ago, ED_Sln said:

But Nvidia's help claims that DX12 is supported even in Kepler and Fermi: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3711/~/which-nvidia-gpus-will-support-dx12%3F

spacer.pngspacer.png

But all this is of course marketing, there is no DX12 there.

One need to look at Direct 3D Feature level, it's the only one true parameter.

"D3D 12 API" is a set of software emulations, meaning it could, in theory, run that game, but the FPS would be just terrible. Win 10 x64 can emulate in soft mode, hence the screenshot.

By the screenshot one can also see how the drivers and cards became brighter with years. Washed out colours.

11 hours ago, Dixel said:

Win7 + DX12 bypass

Direct_3D_feature_level of 700 series is 11_0.

Direct_3D_feature_level of 800 series is 11_0. (mobile chips)

Direct_3D_feature_level of most 900 series is 11_0. (mobile chips)

Example of the most popular/common laptop card, namely NVIDIA GeForce 920M.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-920m.c2646

"Even though it "supports" DirectX 12, the feature level is only 11_0, which can be problematic with newer DirectX 12 titles" - translate into normal language:" We lie to you, and you can't do crap about it". 

Direct_3D_feature_level of 900 series is 12_0. (desktop chips)