Upgrading Windows 7 to 10 - Device Isn't Compatible in Windows 10

boweasel

Attempting to upgrade a Windows 7 computer - an Acer X1420G-U5832 64-bit to Windows 10 using a Windows 10 disk. I eventually get the above incompatibility message.
If I go into Device Mgr, right-click display driver it shows that same Nvidia driver. Selecting update driver tells me that it's installing a driver, but then I get a msg

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.

Access is denied.

I'm doing this upgrade for my 88 year old neighbor and I'm sure he doesn't have the money to buy a new tower if none of you folks can come up with a solution.

Nvidia.JPG

Sounds like it is onboard graphics? It also sounds as if this is a computer tower as in a desktop, not a laptop. Another cheap solution would be to upgrade to the GeForce 8000 series. You can find super inexpensive cards on eBay which Windows 10 would support.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xnvidia+geforce+8400.TRS0&_nkw=nvidia+geforce+8400&_sacat=0

For an 88 year old, that would be way more than needed for their use but still compatible with Windows 10. I just wouldn't go into detail why it would be needed, but just suggest that an inexpensive part is needed in order to ensure full compatibility.

The driver @IntMD pointed out was confirmed working with Windows 10 back in 2016. Hopefully, that's still the case in 2020.

When you uninstall the current driver, do it through Control Panel->Programs and Features. There might be more NVIDIA entries in there that you may uninstall - things that might have been installed with the graphics driver include HD Audio driver, PhysX and 3D Vision. If there's any additional NVIDIA entry, it's probably for the chipset, which you can leave alone. If you encounter problems, Display Driver Uninstaller might help with driver removal.

A word of warning, Windows 10 is a monstrous OS so it can take a while for everything to load initially when it's started.

• 1 month later...

the Acer X1420G-U5832 computer is indeed a desktop computer.

I have an old HP pavilion m8417c desktop pc which also uses onboard Geforce 6150SE nforce 430 graphics hardware - the existing driver for it works in Win10 but needs to be reinstalled after upgrading

what I did before upgrading from Win7 to Win10 is to uninstall the nvidia graphics driver for Geforce 6150SE nforce 430 using Display Driver Uninstaller, reboot & disconnect from the internet and run Win10 setup directly from either a Win10 DVD disc or Win10 usb flash drive, upgrade the OS to Win10, reboot a couple of times, then re-install the nvidia graphics driver and reboot again and the

also - another step after getting the onboard Geforce 6150SE nforce 430 hardware working is to disable Fast Startup.  I get occasional & random BSOD errors with recent Win10 versions (like 1809, 1903 & greater) with the onboard nvidia graphics hardware and many of the BSOD problems go away when the Fast Startup power option is turned off.