[SOLVED] Cannot Set New Boot Option in BIOS

Dave-H

2 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Hmmm. :dubbio:

It is likely (but not necessarily true) that the 0x0000007E comes from IntelPPM service and its Start value.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ ControlSet001 \ Services \ Intelppm 

On a normal (Intel) install it is set to 1 (System).

On a "universal" image it is is usually set to 3 (On demand) BUT there have been reports that on AMD Notebooks BUT NOT on AMD desktops it needs to be set to 4 (Disabled).

See:

http://reboot.pro/topic/13893-bsod-0x0000007e-while-booting-img-on-amd/

You have nothing to lose checking it and if not already 4 set it to 4.

jaclaz

Thank you, that worked!

:thumbup:cheerleader::thumbup
I also set the IntelIDE service to disabled for good measure, and removed everything from the registry "run" key that I was worried about.
XP has now started, in IDE mode.
It's complaining that it needs to be reactivated, but that's a minor issue!
Now to try to configure it to run in AHCI mode.
I guess just installing that AHCI driver that @RainyShadowattached earlier should do the trick?
:dubbio:

P.S. @jaclaz
I hope things are OK for you and yours at the moment.

Edited by Dave-H
Quote added as reply appeared on a new page

I would say that it is about right now the moment to take some time to image the disk "as is" before attempting further modifications.

At the very least do make a copy/backup of the Registry or create a Restore Point.

Maybe it won't be needed, but better safe than sorry.

jaclaz

P.S.: Yep, everything is more or less fine around me, I am not in the North where the situation is really dramatic, I live in the center where the numbers of positive cases are (at least till now) relatively low.

Edited by jaclaz

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

Now to try to configure it to run in AHCI mode.
I guess just installing that AHCI driver that @RainyShadowattached earlier should do the trick?

Try to install it through the MSI file.

Installing from Device Manager probably won't work as you don't have the AHCI port in IDE mode. You can always try to force it to some other available hardware though, like i.e. your touchpad, lol.

Once you're booting properly, you better look for some AMD chipset drivers installer.

I usually look for official drivers first and use SDIO on any left-over devices. Check the AMD site (or its archive), or look for another brand/model with the same hardware and XP drivers.

Edited by RainyShadow

Glad things are not too awful where you are @jaclaz.

I'm now using Windows 8.1 to do an ISO backup of all three partitions on the machine, which will take a long time!

I already had tried installing the AHCI driver using the Device Manager, but it just said that the INF file had no information about my hardware.
I will try again with the MSI file.

I also tried the VBEMP graphics driver, and it went through the motions of installing, and then said the device couldn't start (code 10).
I used the 20 version as the documentation said that was best for flat screen displays.

@RainyShadow did you say there was another possible graphics driver somewhere? :dubbio:

Once the backup is done, I will have another go.
I'm just so pleased to have finally got into Windows XP at all!
Cheers,
Dave.
:)

Edited by Dave-H

@Dave-H that graphics driver SDIO listed was probably for your Win8 as that was the OS running when you made the snapshot.

Try checking SDIO under XP.

As for AHCI, if the MSI fails, pick some other device and try to force-install the driver on it. As long as this makes the driver load at boot, it should be fine. You can revert the replaced driver once you are running in AHCI.

Make sure your backups work before you try anything else :P

I found this: https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/GRAPHICS-BOARD/AMD/AMD-Catalyst-AMD-A10-APU-Graphics-Driver-1330-Beta-for-XP.shtml

Very possible to be a bad description, seeing how APU drivers for XP are said to be non-existent...

But, if that's really a driver for XP, maybe you might get it working by adding your device IDs. Worth a try when you're out of options.

Thanks again.
That driver doesn't look very promising, but I will give it a try!
It's a Catalyst driver, not a Radeon driver, but you never know!
Backup now 75% done...........
:whistle:

Edited by Dave-H
Typo

I tried running the MSI file in the ACHI driver package, and it just said it wasn't designed for my OS. :no:
I suppose I could hack the MSI file with Orca, but I very much doubt if it would do any good.

I did find a package for AMD-based Lenovo machines called "IN1VDO11WW1.exe".
This supposedly contains XP drivers for all the AMD devices.
It won't install the graphics driver sadly, but it did install several others.
My SATA controller driver is now "AMD SATA Controller (IDE Mode)".
This sort of implies that there is an ACHI mode as well, but how do you switch it?
Just selecting AHCI on the BIOS certainly doesn't work, it just BSODs again.

I then tried the driver you found, and that updated some more devices, including USB 3.0, which is good.
It still didn't install a graphics driver though.
The devices I am still now missing drivers for are the graphics, Ethernet controller, and one "Unknown device".

How do you uninstall the VBEMP driver?
I can't see anything on the documentation pages about how to get rid of it!
If I remove the device, it just puts the non-functioning driver back again, and there's the added annoyance that I have to OK its use on every boot!
There's certainly no option in Add/Remove programs to uninstall it, and it doesn't appear in the HP System Diagnostics analysis either so I can't remove it there.

I got two more SNP files from SDIO, this time when running XP.
I don't know why it generated two of them, I suspect they are identical but I've attached them both just in case!

Cheers, Dave.
:)

2020_03_24__12_42_41__NETBOOK_state.snp

2020_03_24__12_42_44__NETBOOK_state.snp

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

Open IN1VDO11WW1.exe the with 7-zip.

Get to IN1VDO11WW1.exe\\Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\hseries\MINI_IDE\XP\

Read ReadMe.rtf.

In theory that should install the driver for both PATA (or IDE) and SATA mode, but it depends on the actual controller.

Maybe you already have them installed :unsure::

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

My SATA controller driver is now "AMD SATA Controller (IDE Mode)".
This sort of implies that there is an ACHI mode as well, but how do you switch it?
Just selecting AHCI on the BIOS certainly doesn't work, it just BSODs again.

Very likely :dubbio:you need to get INSTEAD to:

IN1VDO11WW1.exe\\Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\hseries\RAID\XP\

then loop to:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/181337-cannot-set-new-boot-option-in-bios/?do=findComment&comment=1179143

BUT BEFORE that make sure that your hardware PCI VEN/DEV is among the ones in ahcix86.inf:

%NapaDesc%=Napa_Inst,PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4392&CC_0104
%NapaDesc%=Napa_Inst,PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4391&CC_0106
%NapaDesc%=Napa_Inst,PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4393&CC_0104
%NapaDesc%=Napa_Inst,PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7801&CC_0106
%NapaDesc%=Napa_Inst,PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7802&CC_0104
%NapaDesc%=Napa_Inst,PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7803&CC_0104

jaclaz

Thanks @jaclaz!

I tried what you said, but used the file linked to by @RainyShadowearlier as I think that's the one that also had drivers for USB 3.0 so may be more up to date.
In that file, the path is Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\hseries\AHCI_svr\XP\
It seems to contain the same set of files.
Trying to update the controller from there just produced "couldn't find a better driver than the one already installed".
Looking in the RAID folder instead, the ahcix86.inf file does not contain a reference to my hardware ID, which is PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7800.
Should I try just adding it?

4 hours ago, Dave-H said:

How do you uninstall the VBEMP driver?
I can't see anything on the documentation pages about how to get rid of it!

Complete VBEMP driver removal from WinNT/2K/XP/2K3 system

4 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I got two more SNP files from SDIO, this time when running XP.
I don't know why it generated two of them, I suspect they are identical but I've attached them both just in case!

It creates one on every start.

2 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Very likely :dubbio:you need to get INSTEAD to:

IN1VDO11WW1.exe\\Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\hseries\RAID\XP\

then loop to:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/181337-cannot-set-new-boot-option-in-bios/?do=findComment&comment=1179143

I have a vague memory of reading somewhere that DriverInjection requires the driver to be in the same folder as the txtsetup.oem file.

Anyways, there is a separate SATA driver package  for that system - IN1AHC20WW1.exe

It includes the needed device IDs.

@Dave-H

You may want to install the Keyboard Device Filter driver too, as it should enable the special keys and Fn-x combinations.

Edited by RainyShadow
P.S.

Unfortunately all the INF files in these drivers don't include my hardware ID, which is PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7800.
They contain 7801, 7802, 7803, 7804, but none of them contain 7800!
:no:

I've done some more research, and that 7800 ID seems to be always listed as "AMD SATA Controller (IDE Mode)".
The other IDs are listed as "AMD SATA Controller (AHCI Mode)".

Now I know the hardware supports AHCI because it does on Windows 8.1.
However, on XP it seems to be identifying as an IDE only device.
Is it possible for its device ID to change depending on BIOS settings or something like that?!

Edited by Dave-H
Amendment

5 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Unfortunately all the INF files in these drivers don't include my hardware ID, which is PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7800.
They contain 7801, 7802, 7803, 7804, but none of them contain 7800!

Your device ID for AHCI mode is 7801, that's what you need. The one for IDE mode is 7800.

It changes with the BIOS setting.

Thanks again!
I uninstalled the VBEMP driver, sorry I really should have found that page myself with the details of how to do it!
Annoyingly it's trying to find a graphics driver every time I boot up now, even though I've ticked the "do not ask again" box umpteen times!

So, if the device SATA controller ID does change according to the BIOS setting, why when I put the BIOS to AHCI just it just BSOD when I run XP?
Shouldn't it detect the change and load the correct driver, assuming it's on the system of course?